FYI: Getting An Exception to the Deluxe Drink Package

mbk999

This is just more of an FYI, relaying my just concluded experience with calling Royal to get an exception for the Deluxe Drink Package (wife doesn't drink alcohol).   As most know, you can't do it on-line, so you have to call 1-800-398-9819 .  The first person I spoke to didn't have an idea as to how to grant an exception, she said book the refreshment package first, then go in and book the deluxe for myself.  All that does is add two Deluxe and one Refreshment Package to the cart (approaching $900).    I cancelled that and called back.  I wish I would have gotten the name of the rep as he knew what to do.   I had to exit out of the cruise planner and then he was able to add the Deluxe + Voom for me and the refreshment package for my wife.  I had to give him my CC info and I got the confirmation email and I've confirmed it's in my cruise planner.    So as Matt has said in the past, if the first person you speak to can't help you, hang up and try another one.

Also,  as others have noted, the exception they will grant is for the other person to get the Refreshment package.  That works for us but I know others don't want that.   I'm not sure what to say about it as it didn't seem to be an option to not get a package or to just get the soda.     The Bogo $ for the Refeshment Package was $18/day which I thought was pretty good as we'll go through several bottles of water a day alone. Four of those, an OJ, and a virgin daiquiri and you're at $18.    Deluxe + VOom was $59.

It’s right what you said about ringing a different person if you don’t get the right answer or outcome. My partner doesn’t drink and it’s not worth us having the refreshment package as it works out about £22 per day. After calling twice I got to have the deluxe drinks package without buying anything package for my partner.... happy days ?

We originally got the Deluxe for DH & I at BOGO 1/2 (buy 1, get one 1/2 off, which worked out to $42.50/day each) & refreshment pkg for our DD's (21 & 28) @ $18 each for our May Adventure sailing.  Wanted to get the Deluxe for 21yo, but would have had to pay full price ($57? at the time), so decided to get refreshment & allow her to buy the occasional alocholic drink (28 yo can't drink alcohol due to medical issues, but she can have the various non-alcoholic options from the refreshment pkg).  Then, the deluxe went on sale ($42), so we called to called to order one deluxe, & just told them other person couldn't drink alcohol. No biggie, but we had also planned on paying for the refreshment pkg anyway, so it worked out ok for us. 

13 hours ago, mbk999 said:

This is just more of an FYI, relaying my just concluded experience with calling Royal to get an exception for the Deluxe Drink Package (wife doesn't drink alcohol).   As most know, you can't do it on-line, so you have to call 1-800-398-9819 .  The first person I spoke to didn't have an idea as to how to grant an exception, she said book the refreshment package first, then go in and book the deluxe for myself.  All that does is add two Deluxe and one Refreshment Package to the cart (approaching $900).    I cancelled that and called back.  I wish I would have gotten the name of the rep as he knew what to do.   I had to exit out of the cruise planner and then he was able to add the Deluxe + Voom for me and the refreshment package for my wife.  I had to give him my CC info and I got the confirmation email and I've confirmed it's in my cruise planner.    So as Matt has said in the past, if the first person you speak to can't help you, hang up and try another one.

Also,  as others have noted, the exception they will grant is for the other person to get the Refreshment package.  That works for us but I know others don't want that.   I'm not sure what to say about it as it didn't seem to be an option to not get a package or to just get the soda.     The Bogo $ for the Refeshment Package was $18/day which I thought was pretty good as we'll go through several bottles of water a day alone. Four of those, an OJ, and a virgin daiquiri and you're at $18.    Deluxe + VOom was $59.

Will the website allow the Refreshment Drink Package to be cancelled online with only one DDP?

On my Freedom cruise, one couple we spoke to told us they were able to get the Deluxe package for 1 person when they were on board. So I guess since you're paying higher on board they may not care as much or just haven't worked out the rules yet. Also with the refreshment package adding alcohol to my drinks were around $7 (depends on bartender as well) I didn't do it too often as my wife would want something without alcohol and I would want something with so we would just trade since it was covered. 

2 hours ago, jurrjurr said:

Will the website allow the Refreshment Drink Package to be cancelled online with only one DDP?

Good question, I don’t know.  When I cancelled I just cancelled the whole cart.  My confirmation email is for the one DDP and the one RP.   

I find it very disappointing that consistency isn't part of training at RCCL.  We should not have to call back for a different outcome!  If they are the ones providing the rules, should't they be the ones following them?  Unfortunately, it makes your mind start to wonder, are they (RCCL) hoping they will have people that will not call back!

3 hours ago, JamesGurner said:

It’s right what you said about ringing a different person if you don’t get the right answer or outcome. My partner doesn’t drink and it’s not worth us having the refreshment package as it works out about £22 per day. After calling twice I got to have the deluxe drinks package without buying anything package for my partner.... happy days ?

So that’s definitely different than what I’ve heard.  Good to hear you can do that. 

• 2 months later...

I just ordered (via phone) the Deluxe package for myself, and the refreshment package for my wife (she cannot drink).  It appears in the cruise planner that I could easily just go and cancel the refreshment package, without impacting the deluxe package for myself.  Has anyone ever done this?  Just don't want to cause trouble when boarding...

On 3/17/2018 at 4:31 PM, RBRSKI said:

I find it very disappointing that consistency isn't part of training at RCCLWe should not have to call back for a different outcome!  If they are the ones providing the rules, should't they be the ones following them?  Unfortunately, it makes your mind start to wonder, are they (RCCL) hoping they will have people that will not call back!

Einstein defines insanity as "doing the same thing many times expecting a different outcome".  RCCL forces us to be insane in this instance. 

15 hours ago, computerdude1032 said:

I just ordered (via phone) the Deluxe package for myself, and the refreshment package for my wife (she cannot drink).  It appears in the cruise planner that I could easily just go and cancel the refreshment package, without impacting the deluxe package for myself.  Has anyone ever done this?  Just don't want to cause trouble when boarding...

Have not tried it. Interesting loophole if it does work.

15 hours ago, computerdude1032 said:

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

Have not tried it. Interesting loophole if it does work.

Shh!  Don't spread the word. ?

7 minutes ago, Todd W said:

just curious,  would TA's have any better luck with this exception?

I'm thinking this is one best handled directly.  Having said that...

I've not tried to do so through a TA, I've always cruised with a fellow drinker and we both bought the package or I cruise solo and it's irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, Todd W said:

just curious,  would TA's have any better luck with this exception?

I had asked my TA if she was able to handle that for us on my Freedom cruise last March/April, answer was a solid "no". She was able to put a note on our reservation noting that my wife was on medication that prevents drinking alcohol, but that was all. I still had to call Royal directly and purchase my Deluxe package with requested Refreshment package for her.

From her comments, I got the impression that TAs cannot buy those packages for you, at least not if doing so requires calling them and not just going through the system. Not sure if they can book anything else normally accessed via the Cruise Planner, like dining packages or excursions or internet; I think from her comments that all of that has to be handled by the actual passenger.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, sarah954bear said:

hi i know this thread was from a while ago but i was wondering if this actually works because i am desperate, have you tried it? @Lovetocruise2002

Hi @sarah954bear, welcome to the boards. Yes, I've done this twice now with calling Royal to purchase the deluxe package for myself, but just a refreshment package for my wife who cannot drink. The second time went much more smoothly than the first, it's clear the phone reservations staff are fully up to speed on this exception policy.

I have not tried canceling the Refreshment Package online after buying it on the phone, as my wife has always wanted that package for her specialty coffees and mocktails, so I can't speak to whether that loophole that was mentioned still works.

@sarah954bear...just after they started the "all adults in the same cabin must purchase" rule in late 2017, I managed to talk my way into a deluxe package for myself, and nothing for hubby.  Not long after that, Royal started with another rule that if exempted, the other one must purchase the refreshment.  I have not purchased the deluxe package since then because of various reasons (either cruising with kids, or already covered etc.).  I am reconsidering for the Anthem GC and my cruise on Symphony in July.  I don't know if the loophole works.  But I would be interested to try it....

For our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise, I called and got the deluxe package for myself and the refreshment pkg. for my wife as her meds significantly restrict alcohol. Later, I saw a price reduction special, called back and got the cancellation/repricing with no problem! Seems Royal is responding favorably to customer demand in this case, at least

is it possible for me to buy the deluxe drinks package now and the other person who needs to get the refreshments package to buy theirs at another time as she wont have the money until the day of the cruise? 

and also, are there any circumstances where the other person in the room doesnt have to get any package at all?

has anyone had any experience with only buying one package and the other person being completely exempt from buying a different package?

or does anyone have any other ideas of how i can go about this because if i buy the package on board, its going to be over $1000 which i really dont want to do however the other person in the room who needs to get the refreshments package wont have the money until the day of our cruise so i am very stuck on what to do.

thankyou :)

1 hour ago, sarah954bear said:

is it possible for me to buy the deluxe drinks package now and the other person who needs to get the refreshments package to buy theirs at another time as she wont have the money until the day of the cruise? 

and also, are there any circumstances where the other person in the room doesnt have to get any package at all?

has anyone had any experience with only buying one package and the other person being completely exempt from buying a different package?

or does anyone have any other ideas of how i can go about this because if i buy the package on board, its going to be over $1000 which i really dont want to do however the other person in the room who needs to get the refreshments package wont have the money until the day of our cruise so i am very stuck on what to do.

thankyou ?

I’m pretty sure to purchase through the cruise planner you have to beyond 3days out. After that all purchases must be made onboard. 

Not that I know of...no.

No, if exempt due whatever reasons, they still have to purchase the refreshment.  They have been pretty strict about this the lately.

When the rule first started back in 2017, yes.  For a short period (a couple of months) people (including me) had success with this when calling.  Not anymore.

Try to avoid buying on board at all costs.  It is always more expensive on board.  See how low the prices drop for Black Friday....

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I’m really looking forward to my cruise on Symphony in Jan 2021,  I’m going with my wife (non-drinker) and two daughters.

I have no problem paying for each drink as I go, that would be much cheaper than getting a deluxe package.  I don’t drink nearly enough to make a package worthwhile.

BUT, I’m looking forward to experimenting with new drinks that I would otherwise not order due to the cost per drink.  With a drink package, if I try a new drink I’ve never tried before and don’t like it, I can just try a different drink.  I’m not likely to do that if I’m paying per drink.  I’d be more apt to only order what I know I like, like a tequila sunrise.

Tom

• 3 years later...

My wife and I just found out we were pregnant. RC is making my wife go to the Dr. to verify her pregnancy so I the husband can purchase the deluxe drink package. I mean this is absolutely insane. Giving that I purchased a suite. Money is clearly not an issue. We are forced to also purchase a non alcoholic beverage package and she won’t utilize the package at all. So we don’t want to purchase it. We purchased the water package as well. 

33 minutes ago, Ivann said:

My wife and I just found out we were pregnant. RC is making my wife go to the Dr. to verify her pregnancy so I the husband can purchase the deluxe drink package. I mean this is absolutely insane. Giving that I purchased a suite. Money is clearly not an issue. We are forced to also purchase a non alcoholic beverage package and she won’t utilize the package at all. So we don’t want to purchase it. We purchased the water package as well. 

I'd call back and get a different representative.  You'll probably get a different answer.  I wouldn't even mention that the first rep told you that you had to get a doctor's letter.  

44 minutes ago, Ivann said:

Normally, when they grant the exception, they will require the other spouse to purchase the Refreshment Package. That's what they did to us.

9 hours ago, Ivann said:

You are asking for an exception to the rule, it's not insane for them to want some justification.  I do agree with @SpeedNoodles though that if you call back you can probably avoid the Dr. Note.

On the refreshment package, you're going to need to get that.  If your wife were not pregnant you both would have to get the DBP so your exception doesn't alleviate this need.  You just need to factor in whether the cost of the DBP and the Refreshment package make sense vs a la carte if your wife really isn't going to drink anything but water.  You may be better off with the water package and you both just paying a la carte for your drinks.  I suspect you will be.

The thing is, people get this all of the time, without a medical need.  They do make the other person buy the Refreshment Package.  So, no, I don't think it's reasonable that she needs confirmation of pregnancy from a physician.  It's done all of the time.   Try a different agent.

6 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

The thing is, people get this all of the time, without a medical need.  They do make the other person buy the Refreshment Package.  So, no, I don't think it's reasonable that she needs confirmation of pregnancy from a physician.  It's done all of the time.   Try a different agent.

I think you and I agree.  I also think the Dr Note is over the top.  The requirement for Refreshment package though is what I think is not insane but normal and what the poster should be expecting as the outcome.  I can see that I wasn't clear in my post.

Based on the rest of his post, I certainly question whether the couple will find value in a DBP plus Refreshment package vs a la carte.

10 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I disagree.  They allow this ALL of the time, you just have to call and get someone who knows what they are doing over there.

Of course it's allowed but that's not the point.  I was responding to the part of the post that said the wife wouldn't actually use the non-alcoholic package.  If that's the case, it's not a matter of whether Royal allows/requires them to purchase the refreshment package.  It's a question of whether it makes financial sense to purchase any packages at all.

On 3/17/2018 at 11:31 AM, RBRSKI said:

I find it very disappointing that consistency isn't part of training at RCCL

Agreed. However, with a large portion of these customer service jobs being remote nowadays, it's harder than ever to properly train.