San Juan Boarding Question

Yes, check in, get your sea pass card, board the ship, and then you can get back off. Ask the workers, there may be a time frame as to when you can get off just simply because of the limitations of having enough security.

I would get on, maybe eat lunch and then get back off.

39 minutes ago, erinbee0000 said:

I heard that Royal does not dock in the same location as Carnival. Do you know if there is anything around the Royal area? Carnival docks in Old San Juan so you can explore. 

That is correct.  The Royal dock (Panamerican Pier) is within site of Old San Juan and the normal cruise docks (across the channel).  It is about a 10 minute cab ride when there is little traffic.  Probably a good bit more with ship traffic.  I'd still make the investment in time to see Old San Juan if  you have time.

There isn't really anything near the Royal docks except a Sheraton.  It's not called the "Nothing to Do Sheraton" by the locals for nothing.

14 minutes ago, Atlantix2000 said:

When a Royal cruise stops at San Juan for the day they use the docks nearer to Old San Juan.  It's the cruises that start/end in San Juan that use the Panamerican Pier across the harbor.

I'm guessing the other pier is cheaper for them. They would be holding a prime spot for an entire day.