Does anyone else diet before the cruise

Just off Allure last week; it did not make a difference how many stairs I traipsed, lengthy walks on the jogging track, rock climbing, wave ridering, or asking my wife overnight how exponentially high her Fitbit recorded steps compared to her normal day.....our cruise was a glutenous indulgence of food and drink. We both still ended out a pound of weight gain per day.

Bring sweatpants for the trip home.

Guest toodle68

My plan is always to limit the damage. I exercise every day so I can enjoy my food. I have struggled with my weight every day of my life and nothing would ruin a vacation than arriving home with a 10 lbs gain. So with the exercise we do, I normally come back 2-4lbs worse off.

45 minutes ago, bobroo said:

Just off Allure last week; it did not make a difference how many stairs I traipsed, lengthy walks on the jogging track, rock climbing, wave ridering, or asking my wife overnight how exponentially high her Fitbit recorded steps compared to her normal day.....our cruise was a glutenous indulgence of food and drink. We both still ended out a pound of weight gain per day.

Bring sweatpants for the trip home.

Yep, I've learned the hard way that exercise alone (unless you're a professional athlete in-training) does not equal weight loss.  Calories, calories, calories....   

39 minutes ago, toodle68 said:

My plan is always to limit the damage. I exercise every day so I can enjoy my food. I have struggled with my weight every day of my life and nothing would ruin a vacation than arriving home with a 10 lbs gain. So with the exercise we do, I normally come back 2-4lbs worse off.

Same here.  I hit the gym every sea day at a minimum (goal is 5x during the week).    Losing 3-4 lbs is a lot less daunting and depressing than 10 lb

I'm down 10 lbs with three more to go. I am going to be a glutinous PIG! I sail on the 24th.

No alcohol for 4 weeks, no candy and smaller portions of food.  Funny thing is, when I cut the sugars out of my diet and reduced my carb intake, I no longer get those overwhelming hunger pains when I am hungry.  The first week was miserable.

I should cruise more often:4_joy:!

In 2015 we went to Labadee, I had reserved the Zip line knowing the weight limit of 250#, I dieted my A** going into this cruise, I dropped 20# going in to the cruise and knew it was going to be a close call, when we got to Labadee they weighed me pre-Zip line and said I was 255# and wouldn't let me go, so since that point I haven't worried about it, I weigh what I weigh and so I eat what I want...

For the younger crowd, it S**** getting old.

Yes. I do a low carb/no extra sugar thing to get down a few. My first cruise was in 2007 and I had a VERY fitted and expensive dress to fit in 2 weeks after the cruise- it was the only way I could enjoy myself without worrying about looking like a stuffed sausage walking down the aisle as a bridesmaid. I also work out most days of cruise. I like to eat what I want when I'm on vacation and not worry too much.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2018 at 11:01 AM, HeWhoWaits said:

On the contrary - I prepare for the increased opportunities to eat by upping my caloric intake leading up to the trip. Stretch the stomach a little ahead of time so that it doesn't rebel at the sudden significant increase in volume.

You are a genius. I have been dieting to be at the proper size when I go and buy a whole new wardrobe exactly 8 days before my cruise. I have a plan.

On 3/14/2018 at 10:01 AM, HeWhoWaits said:

On the contrary - I prepare for the increased opportunities to eat by upping my caloric intake leading up to the trip. Stretch the stomach a little ahead of time so that it doesn't rebel at the sudden significant increase in volume.

me too!  no diet here.  i'm 3 days out from my cruise on the vision, and i already am planning my menu for chops grill night :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to the party but I figured a bit more pressure on me could only help. I don't do diets anymore, I changed my whole lifestyle. It's currently called "Project Zipline" because I really want to do Symphony's zipline on the TA... it's 275 pounds max so still 38 pounds to lose until October 28. Sounds impossible? Well, I started December 14th with 380 pounds... After riding the zipline all bets are off :4_joy: I'm going to enjoy the cruise meals without any guilty feelings, but I'll do a lot of sports to compensate a bit. 1 hour of laps in the pool and at least 1 hour in the gym per day is a given. I know I'll still gain a few pounds but I don't care - my end game is reaching a healthy weight, this will take years anyway so a few weeks more or less don't matter to me.

Well, now I've made it official. You can all check my TA live blog to see if I got on that damned zipline. No chickening out anymore even though I'm a bit afraid of heights. Did I mention that I work best under pressure? :9_innocent: There's a German saying that describes me perfectly: I lack motivation up to the point when I'm running out of time.

I just want to make sure my clothes fit for the entire cruise.  Loose in the beginning and fit at the end.  I'm sure whatever weight I will gain will gradually fall off after I am back home and return to my routine.  Wearing gym shorts and a T shirt on the return home because nothing fits is not on my list of things to do.

29 minutes ago, Toyman55 said:

I just want to make sure my clothes fit for the entire cruise.  Loose in the beginning and fit at the end.  I'm sure whatever weight I will gain will gradually fall off after I am back home and return to my routine.  Wearing gym shorts and a T shirt on the return home because nothing fits is not on my list of things to do.

Stretchy pants is the way to go lol.  That is why I cruise mainly in Lulu for the day and maxi dresses at night :8_laughing:

We go all out on a cruise.  At home we eat super healthy.  It's night and day.  After a few days, we bounce back too.  A lot of it is excess sodium.  Drink lots of fluids (water lol) when you get home and you'll be surprise how quickly the pounds fall off.