Nassau - Sandals Royal Bahamian

SeasTheDayNJ

Hi All,

We are cruising this coming Saturday on Anthem, we are planning on getting a day pass to Sandals Royal Bahamian - about 22 minutes by car from the port. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get there and back? It's not an excursion through RC. 

Mainly trying to choose between the "Jitney" and a taxi. Is Nassau safe for tourists? Has anyone done the day pass before? Anyone ever taken the Jitney? How did you feel? Safe, nervous? I'm reading mixed reviews about the safety on the island.

thanks!

Here's what I found with a google search on "jitney" and it comes from the Urban Dictionary: 

TOP DEFINITION

Unlicensed taxi cabs that service high-crime areas where licensed cabs don't want to go.

Stick to a taxi, perhaps someone else can comment on Nassau and doing a non Royal excursion. :27_sunglasses:

I've heard of quite a few people using the Jitneys in Nassau and having no problem - I think the big thing is just knowing where you're going in the first place and sticking to the tourist areas. 

That said - if this is still a big concern taxis may be better! If you're going to resort from port in a taxi I don't imagine you'd run in to too much trouble. 

2 hours ago, rjac said:

Here's what I found with a google search on "jitney" and it comes from the Urban Dictionary: 

TOP DEFINITION

Unlicensed taxi cabs that service high-crime areas where licensed cabs don't want to go.

Stick to a taxi, perhaps someone else can comment on Nassau and doing a non Royal excursion. :27_sunglasses:

Oh Geeze! LOL what a description!!

1 hour ago, KLAconQueso said:

I've heard of quite a few people using the Jitneys in Nassau and having no problem - I think the big thing is just knowing where you're going in the first place and sticking to the tourist areas. 

That said - if this is still a big concern taxis may be better! If you're going to resort from port in a taxi I don't imagine you'd run in to too much trouble. 

Wondering about the price of a taxi for 2 -- drive is about 22-25 minutes from port. I wish Sandals would offer a car service for hire...

8 minutes ago, SeasTheDayNJ said:

Wondering about the price of a taxi for 2 -- drive is about 22-25 minutes from port. I wish Sandals would offer a car service for hire...

Unfortunately, that I do not know. I don't imagine it being too outrageous (especially if you find another group to share a taxi with), but I don't know that I've heard of a ton of people going to Sandals in Nassau. Most people seem to want to do the Atlantis thing. 

29 minutes ago, KLAconQueso said:

Unfortunately, that I do not know. I don't imagine it being too outrageous (especially if you find another group to share a taxi with), but I don't know that I've heard of a ton of people going to Sandals in Nassau. Most people seem to want to do the Atlantis thing. 

we honeymooned at Sandals Antigua, love the resort chain! I think we will probably get a taxi over there, I'm sure there will be many of them at the port.