Rank Your Favorite Specialty Restaurants

What order of rank would you put each of these restaurants as your own personal preference?  Feel free to add reasons.

Chops Grill

Jamie's Italian

Wonderland

Izumi Japanese Cuisine

Solarium Bistro (evening)

If ranking all 5 is too difficult, think about if you could only pick 2 for your cruise.  Which 2 would you choose and why?

1. Jamie's because I love pasta!

2. Chop's grill (never been there but the menu looks good)

3. Wonderland (Unique, have to try at least once.  And they have the most amazing chocolate ball dessert, called "The World")

4. Solarium Bistro (just sort of blah, nothing special)

5. Izumi (this is subjective because I don't like Japanese food)

If you're in a suite, then Coastal Kitchen is my first choice.

I've only tried two: Chops & Izumi. 

Difficult to rank them as they are different cuisines and both amazing. 

If I could only pick one to visit I'd probably go for Chops. But then again, I can great steak at home whereas great sushi is harder to come by where I live...

This decision is too hard: I give up! ?

I see Johnny Rocket's is not on the list??!:3_grin::4_joy:

But seeing as that is the ONLY time I have EVER paid extra to eat on 11 cruises so far, I have to vote for JR based on my experiences...lol.

For me, when some of the prices of the meal for us would be almost equal to booking another cruise for one person ...I can't justify it no matter how good it might be!!

9 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I see Johnny Rocket's is not on the list??!:3_grin::4_joy:

But seeing as that is the ONLY time I have EVER paid extra to eat on 11 cruises so far, I have to vote for JR based on my experiences...lol.

For me, when some of the prices of the meal for us would be almost equal to booking another cruise for one person ...I can't justify it no matter how good it might be!!

I would have put Johnny Rockets on the list but I have heard their milkshakes are not the real deal you would find on the mainland.

I am with you about the extra cost but I got a pretty good deal with the first 2 nights @ $40 a person.  I will only be dining in the specialty restaurants 2 times, I am good to go dining in the MDR the rest of the time.

There have been multiple cruises when I have NEVER made it even to the MDR for a meal...windjammer works for me. As you can prob tell I am not a huge foodie nor am I hard to please when it comes to food.

I have seen some good offers with the BOGO but the first day/night on board there is no way I am in any shape for a nice long drawn out meal....the drink package is getting a workout that day.....ha

I've only been in Three....

So.....

Izumi

Chops

Giovanni's

Although, in all honesty, we love the Windjammer ...... We only go to the MDR on formal night and so I can have my fix on escargot.  Other than that, the speed, flexibility and quality of the food served, the Wind Ja-Mair (for you Matt) meets our demands and expectations just fine.

The results for me are very ship dependent.

On OA class, Izumi Hibachi is near the top. 

On Harmony I wasn't impressed with Jamie's but on Anthem Jamie's was very good.  My Harmony experience was bad enough on Harmony I almost bypassed Jamie's on Anthem and that would have been very unfortunate because Jamie's was great on Anthem, so much I went back a 2nd time.

Chops is too hit or miss for me.  I've had terrible luck with Chops on Freedom class where I had great service but the cuts of meat were lacking.  Twice on Anthem Chops service was lacking but steak was decent.  OA class it's okay not not superb.  I've been fortunate to eat at some really good steak restaurants on land over the years and Chops to me is a small step above Outback but no where near a true steakhouse.

I'm not a sushi eater so regular Izumi for sushi is a non starter.

I've only done Giovanni's on Freedom class where service was great but food average.  If I didn't use a $30 BOGO for both attempts I'd probably be more upset about the money spent.

Wonderland - something to try at least once.  It was good but different.  No regrets going but I don't feel the need to go again.  I might on Symphony only because I have 5 nights of dining to book.

Solarium Bistro on Anthem was enjoyable and complimentary only requiring reservations although I managed to drop in on a slow night and get a seat as a walk up.  If I had to pay I would be more critical. 

Coastal Kitchen when in a suite is by far my favorite. 

Going with the O class versions:

Chops (consistently good)

Izumi (consistently good although not a huge fan of the teppanyaki option)

Jaimie's (Giovannis is MUCH better, IMO and Portofino (may it RIP) was even better)

Wonderland (awful)

I have never been to the Solarium Bistro so I cannot rate it

1. Johnny Rockets ...

2. Chops ...

That's all for me. Dont do Sushi, was very underwhelmed by Giovanni's and haven't seen any of the others to try even if I wanted to.

No experience with Anthem or Q class in general, so comment stricken from the record ;)

Edited by jticarruthers

12 hours ago, David Maryland said:

Anthem of the Seas

On Anthem I loved Jamie's but asked to sit inside away from the crowds walking along The VIA.  I wasn't impressed by Chops on two different sailings.  Johnny Rockets for $2.50 just okay, fries are same as Windjammer so don't bother or bring some from the WJ.  Wonderland is on the Esplanade and I didn't like being bombarded with constant PA announcements for the latest 2 for $X sale going on.  There is only a shear curtain between Wonderland and the Esplanade.  It really took away from what could have been a better experience.

New pub menu has some interesting items I may try next time.

1. Wonderland - love the short ribs and the desserts 

2. Giovannis - the best filet on the ship.  

3. Sabor - should I really need to explain.

4. Izumi

5. Chops - if it is crowded the service can become very slow and annoying (happened to me twice on different ship)  

6. JR

I love the Solarium Bistro

Not a fan of Johnny Rockets

Only eat in the Windjammer under duress

Love Park Cafe for breakfast

We haven't had the opportunity to try Jaimie's or Wonderland yet

Not excited about Sabor, but I live in Texas and eat Mexican food all the time

Love the tapas at Vintages on Oasis

Love Giovanni's 

I've only done specialty dining on the Allure:

1.) Chops

2.) 150 Central Park

3.) Giovanni's

I semi-agree with @twangster, there are better steakhouses on land than Chops, but I wouldn't compare them to Outback.  More like Ruth's Chris.  150 and Gio's are about even in my mind and I'm only giving 150 an edge because of the bread and fancy salts they bring out as well as the cucumber martini.  I did feel like the whole shtick of 150 was a bit on the pretentious side, though.  (the waiter introduced herself as our "culinary guide." The plating and presentation was nice, but slightly silly in that "Taco Bell in Demolition Man" sort of way).  Food was good though.

I really wanted to try Sabor & Izumi, but we just ran out of time.