Cuba cruise

30 minutes ago, J. Woody said:

Is anyone done this before ?  I am interesting to go to Cuba.  Are there only short cruise with smaller ships ??

Royal has two ships doing Cuba trips now but they tend to be smaller ships since Cuban ports and infrastructure aren't' ready for large ships. 

There are several Cuba itineraries including some that go to more than one Cuban port and some that spend the night.  Cuban cruises leave from Ft. Lauderdale, Miami or Tampa depending on dates.  Empress and Majesty appear to be the only ships doing Cuba right now. 

There is an eight night that looks really interesting to me:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/8-night-best-of-cuba-from-miami-on-empress/NE08W009?sail-date=2018-12-09&currency=USD&wuc=USA

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Royal has two ships doing Cuba trips now but they tend to be smaller ships since Cuban ports and infrastructure aren't' ready for large ships. 

There are several Cuba itineraries including some that go to more than one Cuban port and some that spend the night.  Cuban cruises leave from Ft. Lauderdale, Miami or Tampa depending on dates.  Empress and Majesty appear to be the only ships doing Cuba right now. 

There is an eight night that looks really interesting to me:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cruises/itinerary/8-night-best-of-cuba-from-miami-on-empress/NE08W009?sail-date=2018-12-09&currency=USD&wuc=USA

I like the eight day cruise. I did the four days on Empress August 2017.

We had a great time sailing to Cuba on Empress last May and we look forward to going back.  Personally, I found Empress to be fantastic - far better service and less hassle than the larger ships.  That in mind, if you're looking for the bells and whistles (flow rider, etc) of the larger ships, you won't find those.  You can read about my cruise here, along with links to other Cuba sailings taken by Michael Poole: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/05/21/empress-of-the-seas-live-blog-day-1-embarkation-day

@monorailmedic since you have been to Cuba do you mind telling us about the experience in Cuba itself? I have had the same thoughts as @J. Woody about going there. I am from the US. I am less interested about the ships (RC hasn't dissapointed me yet) but I am very curious about what your experience in Cuba was like. The food, the sights to see, did you feel welcome, all those kinds of things. I have done searches here on Cuba but so many posts return that I cant really parse through them. If there is a blog here already that someone knows of I will go read that if I can be pointed in the right direction. Thanks!!!

Did Empress out of Tampa last September and doing Majesty this year, both times doing the overnight in Havana.

As others have said, not the amenities of the bigger ships but still a great cruise. We loved Havana as very different to most other ports - anyplace that does NOT have a Diamonds International, Hard Rock, etc is fine with me

5 hours ago, whenismynextcruise said:

@monorailmedic since you have been to Cuba do you mind telling us about the experience in Cuba itself? I have had the same thoughts as @J. Woody about going there. I am from the US. I am less interested about the ships (RC hasn't dissapointed me yet) but I am very curious about what your experience in Cuba was like. The food, the sights to see, did you feel welcome, all those kinds of things. I have done searches here on Cuba but so many posts return that I cant really parse through them. If there is a blog here already that someone knows of I will go read that if I can be pointed in the right direction. Thanks!!!

The people couldn't have been more welcoming.  Remember, the people of Cuba have no issue at all with Americans, it's all a government tiff.  As far as food we had very little as we wanted to explore the city, and when we did stop our options were a tad limited as we're vegetarians, and Cuban cuisine puts lard in just about everything (some that, as South Floridians we were very aware of before).  What we did have (some cake, fries, and a couple local beers), was quite good.  You dock in Havana Vieja, the old part of the city with beautiful and impressive Spanish architecture.  We opted for a walking tour through the city, and next time will probably get a dedicated guide to take us a bit farther out - not b/c Havana Vieja wasn't amazing, but just for a change. There are many squares, parks, and great sites, plus forts and such.  This blog post covers the day we spent in Havana, including pics, and tour details: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/05/23/empress-of-the-seas-live-blog-day-3-havana-cuba

1 hour ago, whenismynextcruise said:

Thanks so much @monorailmedic

The blog you posted is great! Looks like I will be booking for Cuba.

Enjoy! We can't wait to go back.  Reach out with any additional questions.  I have some more tips around currency, documentation, and more at www.CruiseHabit.com/CruisingCuba