Majesty in drydock?

Pooch

New carpets are always nice!  I am a little concerned that I chose an older smaller ship for our first cruise in 15 years.  Of course my only frame of reference is the Nordic Empress in 2002 so my expectations are not too high!

Just now, Pooch said:

New carpets are always nice!  I am a little concerned that I chose an older smaller ship for our first cruise in 15 years.  Of course my only frame of reference is the Nordic Empress in 2002 so my expectations are not too high!

Expectations is the key word.  It does not have a zip line, or Broadway musical, or an AquaTheater, but it does still offer a fun getaway cruise.

With older ships, it is about understanding what the ship offers and does not offer and managing your expectations.

and of course we are going to Cozumel with the problems down there restricting our shore excursion options.   The cruise isn't until late October so there is time for all of that to play out but I am getting somewhat concerned that I booked without doing quite enough research first.

On 3/12/2018 at 10:54 AM, Pooch said:

and of course we are going to Cozumel with the problems down there restricting our shore excursion options.   The cruise isn't until late October so there is time for all of that to play out but I am getting somewhat concerned that I booked without doing quite enough research first.

Have these problems spilled into Cozumel? I know there is a state dept advisory for Quintana Roo State (Cozumel, Cancun, Playa de Carmen) but I just can’t imagine cartel violence on that island. I understand it on the mainland but not on a quiet island!

1 hour ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Have these problems spilled into Cozumel? I know there is a state dept advisory for Quintana Roo State (Cozumel, Cancun, Playa de Carmen) but I just can’t imagine cartel violence on that island. I understand it on the mainland but not on a quiet island!

As far as the embassy warning states, cozumel itself is fine but stay away from the ferries and mainland.  Im still planning on nachi in 2 weeks.  Jane

On 3/12/2018 at 10:39 AM, Matt said:

Expectations is the key word.  It does not have a zip line, or Broadway musical, or an AquaTheater, but it does still offer a fun getaway cruise.

With older ships, it is about understanding what the ship offers and does not offer and managing your expectations.

My wife and I are headed out on the Majesty tomorrow with some friends.  We have low expectations, but still look forward to "getting away" for a weekend, and the weather looks perfect!  I'll report back when we return on Monday and I'll let you know what condition the ship is in after the refurbishment.  

32 minutes ago, NeonD7 said:

My wife and I are headed out on the Majesty tomorrow with some friends.  We have low expectations, but still look forward to "getting away" for a weekend, and the weather looks perfect!  I'll report back when we return on Monday and I'll let you know what condition the ship is in after the refurbishment.  

I personally look forward to your report I love this tiny ship and the enchantment if you could could you see if they corrected the sewer smell that plagued deck 3 they said they were planning to work on it the smell was bad at times in the hallways but never went into the cabins

I just stepped off the Majesty this morning and I'll share my experiences:

It is definitely an old, small ship, and it had been eight years since my last time on a Sovereign class.  Not sure how it looked going into the refurb last month, but there was new carpet everywhere (along with the "new carpet" smell) and all the outside surfaces seemed to be freshly painted.  Everything worked, we didn’t see anything broken on the ship.  We didn’t notice any of the sewer smells that others had written about, so they must have fixed that during the plumbing work in dry dock.  It was also very clean.  We were in Owners Suite 1020, which was in great shape, although the mattress was very thin and uncomfortable.  

The Windjammer food area is the dinkiest I’ve ever seen, very little variety is offered.  Ironically, the seating area is very spacious, which is the exact opposite of the Enchantment (always hard to find a place to sit).  Thankfully, they had a carved roast beef every day that was pretty good.  The food in the main dining room was mediocre and it was fairly cramped with tables very close to each other.  Our servers were very nice and our stateroom attendant Jose was wonderful, one of the friendliest we have ever had.  There was a ventriloquist show Saturday night, but we didn’t make it to that. 

The Diamond lounge was the front half of the Viking crown lounge on deck 14, it wasn’t closed off with a separate door, but they did check your sea pass card if you ordered anything.  The staff working the lounge were not very attentive, we would go long stretches without seeing anyone.  They also had a penchant to lie to our face.... My wife and I big wine fans.  We have been to a million wine tastings, and have a pretty well tuned taste buds.  So when we requested a glass of Cabernet, both evenings we were given a glass of Cabernet.  And the second glass they gave us both nights was Merlot.  They looked us in the eye and swore up and down it was from the same bottle, but in what altered universe does a wine go from being reddish color to purple and from dry to sweet in 20 minutes??  That first night we both took a sip of the second glass, looked at each other and said "this is a Merlot".  Oh well.  At least it was free.  Speaking of drinks, the lady working the Schooner bar was excellent.  Everyone was onshore in Coco Cay that day, so she was happy to have someone there to talk to, and she mixed us up some extra strong drinks.  

We had very smooth sailing, the seas were calm and the temps were perfect so I have no idea how well that ship would handle in rougher weather.  We got into Nassau at noon on Saturday and were in the close berth right next to the gate.  It can be a long walk if your ship is in the 4th berth.  Sunday we tendered at Coco Cay, but didn’t go ashore.  We had expected more of the new pier to have been completed, but it only looks like they had sunk about 15 pilings.  Not very much after this many months under construction! 

All in all, we had a great time, we had low expectations going in, so we didn’t have any surprises.  It was a nice weekend trip and we were happy how smoothly everything went!  My wife and  I have now sailed on all three of the Sovereign class vessels.   We are now counting down the days until next month's Oasis trip!  

Thanks, i am getting more concerned about this cruise and im afraid your post has done little to allay my fears.  Not looking for fancy, just good food, good drinks, a nice balcony (grand suite) and a relaxing vacation.

Now i feel like I booked an old rust bucket☹️☹️

18 hours ago, Pooch said:

Thanks, i am getting more concerned about this cruise and im afraid your post has done little to allay my fears.  Not looking for fancy, just good food, good drinks, a nice balcony (grand suite) and a relaxing vacation.

Now i feel like I booked an old rust bucket☹️☹️

Hope I didn't concern you, I tried to be as positive as I could!  Just be aware that it is an older, smaller ship with a lot less offerings.  If you go into it with that in mind, it can make for a nice weekend getaway.  

I was very concerned before we left, but the ship was very clean and functional.  I assumed the worst, but didn't really have any negative experiences..... I didn't see any rust or decay, so they have done a great job with the upkeep on the  ship.  My wife and I are spoiled by the newer ships, although our favorite is still the Enchantment.  

The main dining food is "fair" but very edible, and the lady from Brazil at the Schooner bar will give you the hookups on the drinks!  :-)  

Our only cruise experience was 15 years ago on the Nordic Empress, also an older, small ship so i have no frame of reference.  But another popular cruise board ( not sure i can mention CC here) has absolutely no good reviews of Majesty ?.  I am trying to stay positive.

25 minutes ago, Pooch said:

But another popular cruise board ( not sure i can mention CC here) has absolutely no good reviews of Majesty ?.

CC just seems to be the place where people go to complain about anything and everything cruise related. Very poor "signal to noise" ratio there if you're trying to get fair impressions of the different ships, not helped by the fact that their "from the editors" ship reviews are often out of date -- I read an editor's review in late 2016 saying that Navigator had a solid country theme on board, both in decor and music. This was true when she was sailing out of Galveston, but I found out maybe a month later that she had been re-homed to Florida months (maybe even a couple of years?) prior and all of that decor and music was long-since changed over!

Reviewers there may just have overblown expectations for the ship, or been spoiled by the larger and more extravagant ships and all the amenities they offer, and then vent their disappointment with a bad review instead of having some perspective on what they should realistically expect with a ship that old but still in good shape.

For what it's worth, I was on the Majesty this past Christmas and had an absolutely lovely time.  I just sailed the Oasis-class Allure a couple weeks ago and I can honestly say that there were several aspects of the Majesty I liked better.

My advice is don't do my time dining, get an assigned time.  Makes for a much better experience, imo.

While it's a smaller ship, it was once one of the largest cruise ships in the world and is by no means tiny.  We all thought the service was top-notch and the staff will go to great lengths to make you happy.  Food was a mixed bag, but that's true of anything anywhere.  If you don't like what you ordered, try something else.  I thought the Windjammer buffet was better on the Majesty than on the Allure.  The main dining room was MILES better on the Majesty vs the Allure.  None of the seafood dishes wowed us, but the other proteins (steaks, poultry, tenderloins, etc.) were all pretty good.  Avoid the pizza.

I just got off of Majesty on the 26th of December before the dry dock, Oasis class is one of my absolute favorites.  That being said if I had the option to cruise on Majesty again I would gladly do it.  I would not want to spend a full week but for a quick 3 or 4 day cruise I would gladly sail it again!  There were a few small issues that I am hoping that they fixed in dry dock, but the crew was great, and truly tried to make us happy.  As long as you understand that it is an older ship and that it does not have all of the new and greatest things that the newer ships have but it was definitely worth my time.  If you go expecting a Quantum class or Freedom class experience you will be highly disappointed, if you go just expecting to get on a boat, be entertained and catered to and have a great time then you will be very happy.  

Good to know, you are all making me feel MUCH better.  I did sign up for MTD.  Can I call and get that changed?  Its only a 5 day cruise with 2 at sea and 2 in port so I wasn't sure what time would be better for dining.  Last cruise (2002), we ate in the Windjammer every night.  But it wasn't a buffet back then.

And yes, entertain me, cater to me (staying Suite level) feed me and ply me with liquor!!

• 4 weeks later...

We managed to find the time to schedule a 5 night in June on Majesty out of Tampa.  That ship seems to get moved around to different ports a lot!   This will be the third time Ive been on this ship, my wifes 4th and surprisingly this will be the second time for our 6 year old daughter.    She is the main reason we have been doing shorter cruises over the past few years....just more convenient for us.    This upcoming cruise has 2 sea days which might be a bit much on this small of a ship but with our daughter with us we always seem to never get bored.

As for Majesty, we've always had a great time.....yes, its not huge and not packed with activities and gadgets like some of the other larger ships but I was always impressed with the upkeep and cleanliness on board and the staff has always been outstanding.   Its easy to navigate and learn your way around.  Also, its much easier to meet some people to talk to since you seem to run into them several times at common spots throughout the cruise which is kinda nice.   I enjoy the ship.

2 hours ago, Pooch said:

Are you doing Cozumel/Costa Maya?  I’d love feedback if so.  That’s our itinerary in late October.  So far planning to wander in Cozumel and are currently waitlisted at Maya Chan in Costa Maya

We are doing that itinerary as well on June 25th.  Never been to Costa Maya before.    Been to Cozumel several times and enjoyed it for sure!