disembarking and waiting for afternoon flight

ok, a question, or more,  asking for suggestions...

set up info - flying in and out of Fort Lauderdale to take advantage of free baggage with Southwest, but cruise is out of Miami. Uber planned to port, no issue. BUT, return flight isnt until 4pm after we return. obviously we disembark around 8am. What to do while waiting to get to airport.????

Thoughts - the beach, but will have all our bags with us. What to do with them? cant just leave with an Uber driver. Thought was to rent a car for the day (about same as Uber rate), but do rental car companies have shuttles from the port to the rental station?  if so, what time should shuttle pick us up (how long will it take to disembark)? we are in Mariner, so decent size ship..

I just dont want my boys to be real bored for 6/6 hrs before going to the airport...  

thanks for suggestions..

One time from Miami I took my kids on an excursion to the Everglades where we did an airboat tour and saw alligators.  This included a transfer to the airport after.  Our luggage stayed in the belly of the bus the whole time.  After that the bus dropped us at the airport with our luggage early afternoon.    

Southwest is a stickler for baggage check in times.  With a 6pm flight you can't check bags until exactly 4 hours before that, or 2pm in your case.

In January, a flight schedule change made us need to get from the Baltimore port to the Reagan airport in DC. We simply did a one-way car rental about a mile from the port (Hertz) and chose for the Reagan airport to be our drop off location. It actually ended up being less than other forms of transport.

This can give you the freedom to go where you want, have a place for your bags, and get you to the airport when you need to!

On 3/9/2018 at 2:47 PM, SPS said:

In January, a flight schedule change made us need to get from the Baltimore port to the Reagan airport in DC. We simply did a one-way car rental about a mile from the port (Hertz) and chose for the Reagan airport to be our drop off location. It actually ended up being less than other forms of transport.

This can give you the freedom to go where you want, have a place for your bags, and get you to the airport when you need to!

I think thats what we decided to do. rental is like $120 for the day and UberXL would be like $80. have half day to shop and some beach time...

• 6 months later...

We are in the same situation..just so everyone knows....FLL will store your luggage for $8/piece......much easier than dragging it around or trying to pick an excursions what works with your luggage etc...

This is what we are doing and then heading out for the day as our flight isn't til 5pm on United....

• 3 weeks later...

regarding luggage when disembarking with an afternoon flight, if we put our luggage outside cabin the night before but dont get off ship until as late as possible ( between 9 - 10am) what happens to our luggage between the time its put onshore and time we would collect it? also is it safe to do so? would carry off be better in this instance? 

45 minutes ago, Ray said:

regarding luggage when disembarking with an afternoon flight, if we put our luggage outside cabin the night before but dont get off ship until as late as possible ( between 9 - 10am) what happens to our luggage between the time its put onshore and time we would collect it? also is it safe to do so? would carry off be better in this instance? 

Your luggage will be safe (unless it isn't...like ours on Liberty last month !!) and waiting for you in the luggage pickup area unless you use Luggage Valet and it gets taken straight to the airport.

On 10/1/2018 at 10:54 AM, monctonguy said:

We are in the same situation..just so everyone knows....FLL will store your luggage for $8/piece......much easier than dragging it around or trying to pick an excursions what works with your luggage etc...

This is what we are doing and then heading out for the day as our flight isn't til 5pm on United....

With 4 of us in the group and prob 5-6 pieces of luggage (plus any carry-ons) we decided to rent a car at the port (Avis) for less than $100 (SUV for the luggage). that way we can get up early and cruise around FT Lauderdale before our 4:30 SW flight. Extra beach day!  being I used to live there, I know my way around fairly well..

4 days and counting!!!!!