Playa Del Carmen, state dept involved

Just saw on GMA that the state dept has forbid its employees from going to Playa Del Carmen...saying it is NOT because of the ferry bombs.

This makes me very concerned....what do they know that we don't?  I guess they will be doing some re-routing on those cruises leaving from Galveston.  Mexico is pretty much all they go to. 

57 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

I had always heard that Costa Maya was "safer" in some ways due to geographic isolation, wonder if there will be a shift from Cozumel to Costa Maya if this continues ?

Cozumel is an island and more isolated that Costa Maya.  Playa Del Carmen is on the mainland.  Other than the ferries, there is nothing to associate Cozumel with Playa Del Carmen.

A lot of this doesn't make any sense, the state dept. warning that is.  It's hard not to think there are some politics involved here.

24 minutes ago, twangster said:

Cozumel is an island and more isolated that Costa Maya.  Playa Del Carmen is on the mainland.  Other than the ferries, there is nothing to associate Cozumel with Playa Del Carmen.

My thoughts exactly @twangster, it also similar to Roatan and the mainland of Honduras, we can go to the island with no issues but they do not want us going to the mainland.

I believe that the Canadian government has also posted warnings for its citizen visiting that area. I am not sure if it would be just politics. Seems to specific for that to be honest.

I never did venture over whenever I was in Cozumel and it seems I will prob stick with that for the time being.

33 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

I believe that the Canadian government has also posted warnings for its citizen visiting that area. I am not sure if it would be just politics. Seems to specific for that to be honest.

I never did venture over whenever I was in Cozumel and it seems I will prob stick with that for the time being.

The Canadian warning is based on the US warning.

“On March 7, 2018, the Government of Canada updated its travel advice for Mexico, informing Canadians that the United States embassy in Mexico City issued a Security Alert advising American citizens that ‘the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City received information about a security threat in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico,'” said spokesman Philip Hannan, echoing the statement on the website.

This morning on the news, they included Cozumel..  What worried me was they said it is now considered Narco-Terrorism, and that collateral damage is no big deal to these people. Well obviously if they try to blow up a ferry full of people!.

Personally, I wouldn't cancel my cruise, but I think I would stay on the ship. The one time we took the ferry over to Playa Del Carmen, I thought the beaches were beautiful , the rest of the town...not so much.     As we walked down the streets at 9am...we were bombarded by people trying to sale us "massages".   It seemed every 3rd shop was a "spa".   ?

I guess ive heard too many stories of kidnappings and killings from my former coworker. Her family would send the newspapers with stories of the cartels murdering innocent people...complete with pictures. ?  

9 minutes ago, Suzanne said:

This morning on the news, they included Cozumel

Interesting Suzanne as I just watched it, and yes they did say nothing to do with ferry bombs.  I did do a backup Eastern Cruise in case the situation changes in the course of the next few months. So there is something else since Wednesday that this warning went out for their employees. Guess we just wait and see. I'm sure NO cruiseline will put their passengers in danger

Travel Advisory
March 9, 2018
Mexico – Level 2: Exercise increased caution

Quintana Roo state – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution

Exercise increased caution due to crime.

According to Government of Mexico statistics, the state experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to the same period in 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted, criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents injuring or killing bystanders have occurred.

U.S. government personnel are prohibited from travel to Centro, Calica, Gonzalo Guerrero, Quintas del Carmen, and Villas del Carmen neighborhoods of Playa del Carmen.  These neighborhoods are bordered by Avenida Benito Juarez, 50 Avenida Sur (Highway 307), and Calle 34 Norte.  U.S. citizens should avoid those neighborhoods until further notice.  U.S. government personnel are authorized to travel to resort areas in Riviera Maya including those near Playa del Carmen that are outside the restricted neighborhoods of this alert.

U.S. government personnel are still prohibited from using ferry services between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel until further notice.  U.S. citizens should not use ferry services operating between Playa del Carmen and Cozumel.

There are no restrictions on U.S. government employees for travel to other parts of Quintana Roo state, including tourist areas such as: Cancun, Cozumel, Tulum, and the Riviera Maya

30 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

I would ask the same about my next trip to Florida but that would be insensible as hell don't you think?

You should be okay in Florida, just don't go to Detroit, NYC, Chicago or LA ? 

I'll be in Playa in May for vacation for 2 weeks enjoying myself ? That's our home away from if we're not cruising.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:23 PM, jce2 said:

In my fantasy, RC decides Mexico is too dangerous and my "Roatan, Belize, Cozumel" trip suddenly becomes "Roatan, Belize, Caymans".........Hey, i can dream.....

I have a western coming up oct 1 I would bet by then that it will be something gone from offered stops.  Royal already took key west and gave us cayman instead why they took key west I have no idea but we were to go to costa maya and Cozumel but I have a gut feeling by the time my cruise comes up mexico will be off the table which wont hurt my feelings having been there a lot 

54 minutes ago, henrysea13 said:

I have a western coming up oct 1 I would bet by then that it will be something gone from offered stops.  Royal already took key west and gave us cayman instead why they took key west I have no idea but we were to go to costa maya and Cozumel but I have a gut feeling by the time my cruise comes up mexico will be off the table which wont hurt my feelings having been there a lot 

I see Cozumel as highly problematic.  While the island itself is considered safe (at this time), eliminating all the excursions that require a ferry really narrows down the variety of quality activities available.

3 hours ago, jce2 said:

I see Cozumel as highly problematic.  While the island itself is considered safe (at this time), eliminating all the excursions that require a ferry really narrows down the variety of quality activities available.

You're right that it does cut down on options, but I really do feel Cozumel still offers a lot to see and do on the island.  Cozumel is one of the most mature cruise ports in the Caribbean, and even without ferries to the mainland, I feel there is lots to do there.

I know it is wishful thinking to hope they will replace Cozumel with Caymans on my cruise but I really want to get back to Caymans for the Stingrays (underwater earthquake cancelled it on my first cruise!), but have little desire to do the Coz/Cay/Jam cruise again.