The New "Seamless" Website

More of my two cents worth of brilliant ideas :4_joy:  

Since there merging accounts between the 3 different cruise lines that they own...why not pick the best web design that they currently have and merg the other 2 into that data base and be done with it.  Wouldn't that have been simpler?

54 minutes ago, mworkman said:

More of my two cents worth of brilliant ideas :4_joy:  

Since there merging accounts between the 3 different cruise lines that they own...why not pick the best web design that they currently have and merg the other 2 into that data base and be done with it.  Wouldn't that have been simpler?

Don't bring that up now ... they may go back and do it !

RCCL Help not helpful at all with regards to the new website platform.  I am missing past cruises and was informed that it should be updated in 24 hours.  Still waiting and not only that, even my C&A registration number is not recognised.  Is anyone having the same problem as me?  So frustrating!!

16 hours ago, Maria said:

RCCL Help not helpful at all with regards to the new website platform.  I am missing past cruises and was informed that it should be updated in 24 hours.  Still waiting and not only that, even my C&A registration number is not recognised.  Is anyone having the same problem as me?  So frustrating!!

I have contacted them multiple times since March 9(?).  On Monday they sent me an email that my account is fixed. They did finally link my C&A but my cruise next week cannot be linked. I can link through the cruise planner. I am sure there are lots of us still having issues.

On 4/8/2018 at 12:01 AM, PrincipalTinker said:

I have contacted them multiple times since March 9(?).  On Monday they sent me an email that my account is fixed. They did finally link my C&A but my cruise next week cannot be linked. I can link through the cruise planner. I am sure there are lots of us still having issues.

Hello, also having issues here in Australia. All my past 47 cruises are gone, my C&A status is showing 'pre gold' when it should be Diamond Plus. Next cruise countdown isn't there, still a few months to go luckily. I have contacted RCCL and they replied this morning advising me that the issues have been addressed and previous cruises/status had been restored. So with a sigh of relief, I sign in only to discover NOTHING has changed!? Sent another email... Only an electronic response this time advising someone will contact me.... Eventually.

Not impressed

31 minutes ago, Flacruiser99 said:

Article is a bit technical on the website update but it explains a lot,

https://www.cio.com/article/3156806/cio-role/cruise-ship-cio-jettisons-aging-application-infrastructure.html

Thanks for the article , 

I did not find explanation for what was the issues that made this roll out to a disaster (5 weeks of unstable front-end application is a disaster) .

There was one clue ...   moving to microservices   (and some other buzzwords) it seems that the CIO decided to push every IT buzzword to this new application/roll out.     

Guest toodle68

You would think, that with micro services, devops practices etc, they would have been able to roll out fixes very quickly. The website still has very little functionality. Can't even book a new cruise and pre-populate your details, or pay.  I still do not understand why they would roll out a new website and start off with less than what was previously provided.

Interesting comment about feature bloat.. that lists basic functionality that one would expect from any website these day.. maybe that is why they removed it all.

Wow.  For those of you (like me) in the IT world... all of these disparate RCI systems (reservations, payment, yadda) were running on IBM ASA/400s prior to launching the new web site.

For those not in IT, ASA/400 series IBMs were rolled out in 1988 and sold through 2000.  So... running on hardware at least 18 years old... up to 30 years old.  Eeeeeeek. 

Cobbling together a web site front end to something like this antique hardware sucks (from an IT perspective) .  I saw plenty of that in the 90s and into early 2000s... front stodgy institutions like banks and airlines... but in 2018? 

That's an IT shop that's been completely ignored and underfunded until things are so broken that it's a serious drag on profits. 

On 4/10/2018 at 8:39 AM, Traveler said:

Thanks for the article , 

I did not find explanation for what was the issues that made this roll out to a disaster (5 weeks of unstable front-end application is a disaster) .

There was one clue ...   moving to microservices   (and some other buzzwords) it seems that the CIO decided to push every IT buzzword to this new application/roll out.     

What's interesting here is that was under the old CIO, Michael Giresi.  He quit and went to Aramark in September of last year & Royal named Martha Poulter the new CIO just before Christmas.

There's no way this started after Poulter took over, this project had to be in the works well before Giresi left.  But I cannot fathom why they'd move forward with throwing the switch on such a big PUBLIC FACING infrastructure change that early into the tenure of a brand new CIO.  There's no way she's gotten a handle on all the projects going on and what every team under her is working on and responsible for in three months on the job.

This is pure conjecture on my part, but having been up close and personal with some big corporate software-related projects, I bet you that website redesign was horribly behind schedule and fraught with problems.  Giresi either ran away screaming or got pushed out and Poulter was hired on to make the new code ship come hell or high water and that's exactly what she did--damn the bugs, we'll fix 'em as we go.  No way does a brand new CIO do a major release three months in to a job unless that's what they were specifically hired to do.

Guest toodle68
19 hours ago, mk-ultra said:

For those not in IT, ASA/400 series IBMs were rolled out in 1988

Yes, I noticed that..  The AS/400 is still widely used though. The issue is probably not so much the hardware, but that the application is one massive code base that takes forever to change, test etc.. Their QA and release cycle is probably not weekly, it might not even be monthly. That is likely why there has been next to no updates on the old system over the years.

Still, moving to devops/micro services should have allowed them to quickly release fixes and be up and running in days.. and to quickly re-introduce functionality.  So my theory is they just migrated their massive code base and called it all agile/devops and slapped themselves on the back. I have seen this done many times.

What they should have done is split off small pieces over several months. This is exactly what my IT dept is currently doing.

I got that old screen today, but when I enter the reservation number, etc., I'm immediately sent to the new log-in screen.

I cannot find the old breakdown of charges by person and category we used to get... does that exist anywhere outside of having RC e-mail your invoice???

Sadly, while planning my upcoming Alaska cruise on explorer (I'm missing the group cruise by about three or four weeks).  Every time I try to plan an excursion or any other thing that's fun, I've been getting this error screen. The other picture was stealthily taken by the photographer as he watched me yell at the internet. That's me working on a yacht, using my hotspot to surf the rccl site and fantasizing about cruising (and not working) on  what is essentially a MUCH bigger yacht. The background blur is actually angel island in SF. But I digress. I keep getting the error page when I want to plan or do anything. It wasn't doing this a few weeks ago. Perhaps another update that hasn't been tested to fix the broken update?? 1st world problems, but  nonetheless, problems. 

ORG_DSC05761.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG