Anthem of the Seas - March 9-17, 2018

Lovetocruise2002

10 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Nope. Not the part of Canada that I'm from! Got home today and it was way warmer than Jersey!

Welcome home, Sabrina. Glad you all arrived safely. Thanks again for your well written, informative and just terrific live review. We loved it all, even mysterious hubby, who certainly knows his way with the camera! Good luck with the rest of the school year--I am sure your students love you.

Sabrina - what a wonderful cruise we've had, thanks to you.

Your prose, insight, likes and not-so-likes, and lovely pictures made your blog fantastic.  Every time

I got on the message board, it seemed as if there was a new post - either from you or one of us.

Looking as forward to your next cruise as much as you are!   

Well, maybe not "as much"....

8 minutes ago, Floski said:

Sabrina - what a wonderful cruise we've had, thanks to you.

Your prose, insight, likes and not-so-likes, and lovely pictures made your blog fantastic.  Every time

I got on the message board, it seemed as if there was a new post - either from you or one of us.

Looking as forward to your next cruise as much as you are!   

Well, maybe not "as much"....

2 hours ago, Skid said:

Welcome home, Sabrina. Glad you all arrived safely. Thanks again for your well written, informative and just terrific live review. We loved it all, even mysterious hubby, who certainly knows his way with the camera! Good luck with the rest of the school year--I am sure your students love you.

@Floski and @Skid thank you for your kind words. 

I had so much fun with it! Normally on a cruise, my family would do stuff and I would find quiet moments to read. This time, I just replaced those moments with blog time. It was much more enjoyable! 

As far as next cruise, you know where I'll be, you could always come with, it would make for an even more interesting live blog lol!

1 hour ago, Ray said:

Fantastic Blog :5_smiley:

loved how you graded each meal as if it were one of your pupils exam papers :8_laughing: 

Haha! Unfortunately my own kids know this best! 

You can take the teacher out of the classroom but you cannot take the teacher out of the person!  It truly is a vocation. Not just a job.  But that is a whole other topic in itself. It becomes part of who you are. 

That's why avoided the Seaplex like the plague! It felt too much like recess or phys ed time in there ?

2 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Haha! Unfortunately my own kids know this best! 

You can take the teacher out of the classroom but you cannot take the teacher out of the person!  It truly is a vocation. Not just a job.  But that is a whole other topic in itself. It becomes part of who you are. 

That's why avoided the Seaplex like the plague! It felt too much like recess or phys ed time in there ?

@Sabrinaklai We know how you feel. Our daughter is a teacher and you are so correct about it not being "just a job". The world is definitely a better place because of you good people who really care. Thank you for caring.

image.thumb.png.93929371da1649157aaa97aa3bcb6fe7.pngimage.png.076958b3470aa3b9968f080e9f702698.pngimage.png.494936df8300f5cd365e4bed31d29a21.pngimage.png.770aeb3a1897de8c584a477fb8351b21.pngimage.png.a0c38ccbc68a9a1263b3070b7cae3685.png

7 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

He's actually Garth Brooks and doesn't want us to know! Now if he's really Keith Urban, well, then we need pics! LOL

If you hear me singing it indicates there has been excessive alcohol consumption.  In that event I can only promise that you'll truly appreciate the ship's entertainment and probably karaoke that much more.

31 minutes ago, twangster said:

If you hear me singing it indicates there has been excessive alcohol consumption.  In that event I can only promise that you'll truly appreciate the ship's entertainment and probably karaoke that much more.

I would tip to fund that!  Does Twangster have a Patreon acct set up? 

45 minutes ago, twangster said:

Calling all Alaska group cruisers!  This is your mission.

1 hour ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Calling all Alaska group cruisers!  This is your mission.

And if you fail to accomplish that, I'll give it another try on the Symphony TA. If Twangster manages to evade y'all on the group cruise, I'm determined to find an answer to the robot question. I've got a lot of sea days and nothing much planned to sidetrack me from the mission :4_joy:

On 3/16/2018 at 10:34 AM, Sabrinaklai said:

image.thumb.jpg.cce7c8d1b730f0ef5f90696d0056c935.jpg

I remember reading this in a previous thread...here is confirmation that they do still give these out. At least on this ship....

They handed them out on Brilliance.  I actually picked mine up at guest services before our room attendant left them.

40 minutes ago, RestingBirds said:

@Sabrinaklai, maybe the flow problems on Quantum-class will be fixed on Quantum Plus.  Maybe comment on that in your post cruise survey.

Good suggestion.  I tried to start that today but am still gathering my post cruise thoughts.  Will likely attempt it later this week.  

On 3/13/2018 at 1:10 PM, twangster said:

The Coco Locos were probably already made earlier.  The bar staff on Anthem told me they start prepping for CocoCay many hours before the ship arrives.  They have to haul cart after cart of food and beverages down to the lower deck to get ready to off load it onto tenders to supply the island (certain tender boats have a flat cargo area on the front to transfer supplies to the island).  This is all accomplished in the 4-5 hours leading up to arrival.  When they skip CocoCay they get to drag all the carts back upstairs and unload them.  It's a tremendous amount of effort.  The Coco Loco (same as the Labradoozie) is made without alcohol.  Alcohol is added at the time of drink purchase.  Instead of just dumping the Coco Loco semi-frozen slushie mix out, they start selling it on the ship.

On Grandeur last week, they had coco locos on the menu everyday.

@Lovetocruise2002 , i'm sorry I didn't post this earlier... great live blog, I loved following along! We got back on Saturday, loved the ship, loved the Bahamas (especially Cococay!) , the food in the specialty restaurants were to die for. I could go on and on... 

Thanks again for taking the time to post all about your cruise! 

19 hours ago, iluvwineandtravel said:

I just got off grandeur, and they were only giving straws for alcoholic drinks if you asked the bartender for one.

My wife noticed this last October when we were on Allure, I didn't notice because I don't use a straw, she was talking to my Grandson about an upcoming cruise he is going on with us and said we would have to bring our own straws for our Yeti cups because Royal no longer provided them. 

1 hour ago, SeasTheDayNJ said:

@Lovetocruise2002 , i'm sorry I didn't post this earlier... great live blog, I loved following along! We got back on Saturday, loved the ship, loved the Bahamas (especially Cococay!) , the food in the specialty restaurants were to die for. I could go on and on... 

Thanks again for taking the time to post all about your cruise! 

Glad to hear you had a great time!

33 minutes ago, chrisb732 said:

@Lovetocruise2002 This was great, thank you! I will be on Anthem Saturday and was wondering when did you get the sea pass card at your room? Was it as soon as you got on the ship or when the rooms were ready? Sorry if I missed it in all of this. Thanks again!

Nope, you didn't miss it.  I forgot to mention it.  One card is outside of your door at 1pm when the rooms open up.  The rest of the cards are in the room.  For us, they were on the bed.  It was like that on Harmony too.  You can use the bar code on your set sail pass until you get your card.  Have a great trip!  Anthem is beautiful!

Guest toodle68
On 3/9/2018 at 5:58 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

No straws that I have found so far. Was looking for my daughter earlier and none.

We have stopped using straws our self and it was interesting that we saw almost none on our recently adventurer cruise. Good to see this.. now, if we can just get rid of plastic bottles :)

On 3/26/2018 at 10:33 AM, tiny260 said:

My wife noticed this last October when we were on Allure, I didn't notice because I don't use a straw, she was talking to my Grandson about an upcoming cruise he is going on with us and said we would have to bring our own straws for our Yeti cups because Royal no longer provided them. 

From Symphony

straws.jpg

Guest toodle68

Just this week we booked a 5 day out of NJ to Bermuda on Anthem.. we are not 'big ship' people but decided we wanted to at least try. Crowds just don't work for us :) so reading comments about the crowds on Anthem fill me with a little dread. Still, it was a great read about the ship and hopefully it will not be too bad.

2 hours ago, toodle68 said:

Just this week we booked a 5 day out of NJ to Bermuda on Anthem.. we are not 'big ship' people but decided we wanted to at least try. Crowds just don't work for us :) so reading comments about the crowds on Anthem fill me with a little dread. Still, it was a great read about the ship and hopefully it will not be too bad.

I wouldn't worry about it.  I point out that even on Vision or Radiance class ships, you will find lines in the Windjammer, a packed pool deck, or line to get into MDR.  It's not to say smaller ships are empty, and lines and/or crowds can occur on any size ship.

I do believe that Quantum and Oasis class ships do a particularly good job at crowd control, especially after day 1.