Anthem of the Seas - March 9-17, 2018

Lovetocruise2002

39 minutes ago, twangster said:

Is SusieQ still the bar manager in the pub?  She took great care of me on Anthem...

Unless SusieQ is a guy, then maybe not? I have not seen a single female crew member in there. But I will ask the next time I'm in there.

ok...lol ? Foot in mouth! Yes, SusieQ is still here....

1 hour ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Brass & Bock menu:

image.thumb.jpg.95b1ce0add336342745476e3faca2ef8.jpg

@SeasTheDayNJ I asked about St. paddy's day specials for Saturday, the answer was, "Don't know yet. Not planned yet. Maybe yes, maybe no. But we usually do." ?

you had me at Lobster mac & cheese wedges. 

edit: OMG! aaaannnddd fried pickles!?

So we basically had a super low key day filled with eating, pool (for the kids), more eating, wandering, more eating, and eating again ? I have not a clue how I am going to eat dinner in an hour and a half. 

Random findings from wandering:

Wonder how long it will take them to fix this sign?

IMG_6120.thumb.JPG.c2e94e5c657e14c456a38622516c274a.JPG

Very cool....

IMG_6128.thumb.JPG.192651bc2a483dfdaad665c81d06cd6a.JPG

My favourite piece of art on this ship:

IMG_6144.thumb.JPG.3146aedbeb44ba54ff6118a65b8e4f2d.JPG

5 hours ago, twangster said:

Disney Dream heading out of port right at you, don't shed a tear too much...

Enchantment and Empress also in port.

Haha! Kids and I were trying to figure out which ship that was. I knew it was the Dream or Fantasy but couldn't see which one.  

Hubby took some pics while running on the treadmill. Will post later.

6 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Brass & Bock menu:

@SeasTheDayNJ I asked about St. paddy's day specials for Saturday, the answer was, "Don't know yet. Not planned yet. Maybe yes, maybe no. But we usually do." ?

Wow - Thanks for the menu, @Sabrinaklai!  Matt had posted one from the Quantum pub, but this one looks to have a nicer selection. Awesome to se a Hefe on there as well as a few IPAs!  I think I can break up my rounds of Johnnie Walker Platinum with a Dogfish Head 90 minute or two! :P

*edit* Oh man, I just saw that they have poutine!!  Would be nice to get a Canadian's point of view on the quality there, hint hint! XD

50 minutes ago, firebuck said:

Wow - Thanks for the menu, @Sabrinaklai!  Matt had posted one from the Quantum pub, but this one looks to have a nicer selection. Awesome to se a Hefe on there as well as a few IPAs!  I think I can break up my rounds of Johnnie Walker Platinum with a Dogfish Head 90 minute or two! :P

*edit* Oh man, I just saw that they have poutine!!  Would be nice to get a Canadian's point of view on the quality there, hint hint! XD

Lol! I will see if hubby will agree to it for research purposes. He was already complaining today that we had to "pay" for the fried cheesecake. 

18 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Lol! I will see if hubby will agree to it for research purposes. He was already complaining today that we had to "pay" for the fried cheesecake. 

Haha - you da real MVP!  Tell Hubby he's gotta spend all that extra cococay OBC now anyway!  :P

Some of the best poutine I think I've had was at the Toronto zoo - soo maybe my standards are a bit off haha. They just opened up a Smoke's Poutinerie on South Street in Philadelphia - I need to hit that up soon.

7 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Brass & Bock menu:

Standard RC tap list, sadly.  However, that Racer 5 did catch my eye - it's an excellent IPA.  DFH 90 minute is solid, as well.

Day 5 CK Menu:

IMG_6199.thumb.JPG.c56ab2a61ac10bf225873e540a18018a.JPG

We kept dinner pretty light tonight as most of our day was already filled with eating. Kids started with their usual tomatoes in a martini glass and we kept it light with a Caesar salad. I did not take a pic as I already have one from an earlier post. Then, hubby and I had another appetizer that we have tried before.

Shrimp Cocktail:  according to Hubby, it's "typical". Rating: B

IMG_6204.thumb.JPG.eb983dee801e661191dc6becd0342cb3.JPG

Wild Mushroom Consommé: I really like the flavouring in this. It is saltier than I would normally eat but I make the exception for this one. Rating: A

IMG_6205.thumb.JPG.def3c11d3e7d1597622147225f50e6c5.JPG

Kids each had a burger:

IMG_6203.thumb.JPG.0081d4d06051ea7c91dbae39973b79fa.JPG

Hubby and I had one of our most favourite entrees in CK. 

Braised Short Rib: tender, moist, soft, falls right apart, excellent cut of meat. This seems consistent as it was the same quality on Harmony too. 

Rating: A+

IMG_6206.thumb.JPG.c5d200ea8600519cb8e03782a1beeac8.JPG

Dessert!

IMG_6207.thumb.JPG.3f130828d370ae220cb3a02617c7d0c6.JPG

Royal Chocolate Cake: Very rich but delicious. Hard to eat the whole thing. Rating: A

IMG_6208.thumb.JPG.49a0c0b7eb7a0cab9c4837ff62e82717.JPG

Coconut Custard: light & airy. Not too sweet and the coconut taste is faint. Surprisingly good!

IMG_6209.thumb.JPG.ef238aa5c9c37c7a738b91625a102d25.JPG

The CK staff here on Anthem continues to impress me. The head waiter here is like no head waiter I have ever seen on any cruise. Tonight we witnessed him sweep the floor in addition to bussing tables, greeting every table, running around. The rest of the CK staff here seem to follow his lead as they are all excellent with service and so personable. 

Calling it an early night tonight as Hubby and D2 have the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter tomorrow. Meeting time is 7:45am. I will be relying on hubby to give an excursion summary as D1 and I are staying on board. 

28 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I will be relying on hubby to give an excursion summary as D1 and I are staying on board. 

He better be as good as you are on this blog report, or else there will be a lot of upset folks! Not to mention twangster who is a constant blog surveillance and lurking mode and he has the powers of PS! :27_sunglasses: 

3 minutes ago, rjac said:

He better be as good as you are on this blog report, or else there will be a lot of upset folks! Not to mention twangster who is a constant blog surveillance and lurking mode and he has the powers of PS! :27_sunglasses: 

? Hubby has a new theory about @twangster-bot....wants to know if he is CIA or a virtual Genie lol

JK...we all love @twangster here. Let's face it, our cruise addictions would suffer greatly without him ?

14 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

It's currently 68 degrees. The water would have been too cold for the kids to truly enjoy anyway. I will get that menu pic too for you today. I feel like today is a great day to try those desserts! And I have extra OBC now ?

Ok...I leave in 12 days... I'm beginning to freak out that it is still cold!   Arghhhhhh.  Jane

5 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

Ok...I leave in 12 days... I'm beginning to freak out that it is still cold!   Arghhhhhh.  Jane

To be totally honest, we were out and about on decks today. Even mid afternoon, it was not that warm. My kids eventually moved to the indoor pool. I have never cruised to the Bahamas in March before so I have no clue if this is the norm. But you never know, 12 days makes a big difference sometimes. 

1 minute ago, Sabrinaklai said:

To be totally honest, we were out and about on decks today. Even mid afternoon, it was not that warm. My kids eventually moved to the indoor pool. I have never cruised to the Bahamas in March before so I have no clue if this is the norm. But you never know, 12 days makes a big difference sometimes. 

I just know it was 28 degrees in Florida when I was there in January and it was snowing and cold here in Chicago today (ok...I know... not the 2 feet in the east).  If I don't get warm and sun soon,  I may not survive!   I need cruise therapy badly!   Jane

Good morning all! Sorry for the late post this morning. Hubby and D2 were off before 7:30am this morning and D1 and I did not wander into the WJ until 10am.

@jurrjurr this was the closest thing I found to dim sum so far. I gave it a try, but as someone who has eaten congee most of my life, I can safely say that this is a pass. 

IMG_6210.thumb.JPG.6c2349e3feb59aedfa128441848aa0de.JPG

After breakfast we wandered the ship for a bit. Did not find the ship's coin but we did find the I-95.  

Random observation...the conference Center here has 4 rooms. They are named Radiance, Brillance, Jewel, and Serenade.  I thought that was a nice touch. We have now stumbled upon an empty North Star line so we are going to ride the NS in port!

1 hour ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Good morning all! Sorry for the late post this morning. Hubby and D2 were off before 7:30am this morning and D1 and I did not wander into the WJ until 10am.

@jurrjurr this was the closest thing I found to dim sum so far. I gave it a try, but as someone who has eaten congee most of my life, I can safely say that this is a pass. 

IMG_6210.thumb.JPG.6c2349e3feb59aedfa128441848aa0de.JPG

After breakfast we wandered the ship for a bit. Did not find the ship's coin but we did find the I-95.  

Random observation...the conference Center here has 4 rooms. They are named Radiance, Brillance, Jewel, and Serenade.  I thought that was a nice touch. We have now stumbled upon an empty North Star line so we are going to ride the NS in port!

Do they have those cruellers to tip it in? 

Congee is like pasta.  Nothing beats mom's congee.  LOL

D1 and I rode the NS while in port in Nassau. This was such a nice surprise to find that there was not only no wait but that it was offered today in port. Our reservations are actually for tomorrow (at sea) but this provided a much more enjoyable experience and stunning views. 

D1 is sensitive to motion and was worried but I am happy to report that it was much like riding an elevator. Perhaps at sea it is a different feeling. It does get a bit hot in there after a while. 

I had an interesting conversation with the operator on the way up. He mentioned that  only Quantum and Ovation take the NS over the edge of the ship, not Anthem. The reason being that it would make for a 30min ride as opposed to 9min on Anthem.  With a 30min ride, they would not be able to accommodate all the guests so that option is not available on this ship. Ovation and Quantum also charge for NS due to the extended ride. 

Here is a short video of our experience this morning. Pardon the shaky hand as I was busy chatting as well ?

?:D1

IMG_6214.thumb.JPG.1b6763e9c9519c411b346e18c6acd9d8.JPG

Current mood: ?☺️

Enjoying the warmth on the balcony while having a halzelnut mocha. Keeping it light and skipping lunch today. Tonight is Jamie's followed by We Will Rock You. 

IMG_6217.thumb.JPG.07df063ea3be655d54e4b93446476bd3.JPG

Oh, and I just watched this sail by. Someone important must own this....

image.thumb.jpg.22725d9392a1e7abdd0624427cc290a4.jpg

IMG_6216.thumb.JPG.411fedf60c129f63f73ddcf6e997979d.JPG

For @firebuck @SeasTheDayNJ, and @KLAconQueso in the name of research. My waistline is paying for this ?

Fried pickles: just ok, it wasn't spicy, it was fresh and hot. Basically just a breaded pickle. Rating: B

IMG_6218.thumb.JPG.bd58de516e01372d42a23fc08b5ec05f.JPG

Poutine: this was just ok too. As a Canadian, I have had much better poutine but it was by no way terrible. One step up from cafeteria poutine.  Rating: I say "B" but D1 says "A".

IMG_6219.thumb.JPG.108d6ec7b138bdf96bddb804e47d8019.JPG

And for @Sweety, look what we found! A super fancy one!

IMG_6220.thumb.JPG.8b89f7afbba5ddfb0667854b04591219.JPG

Coffee card is $31 onboard.

IMG_6215.thumb.JPG.6dc112025d9d573ea3f5bf65fdb84ca5.JPG