Anthem of the Seas - March 9-17, 2018

Lovetocruise2002

I'm a firm believer that when you take vacations with kids to include one event that is educational during the trip, especially if it's in another country so they learn something and have something to write about in school if asked. Then let them have fun for the rest of the trip.  Seems like your doing the same thing Sabrina. 

Morning update- Coco Cay is cancelled. Too big of a challenge to tender. They have been trying to anchor for 1/2hr and aborting now. The Captain just announced that we are heading to Nassau for an overnight stay.

Still in bed. We are overjoyed. Lol. We are not beach people anyway!

1 minute ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Morning update- Coco Cay is cancelled. Too big of a challenge to tender. They have been trying to anchor for 1/2hr and aborting now. The Captain just announced that we are heading to Nassau for an overnight stay.

oh man, that stinks! Unless you are not beach people lol. but I am! So what are you guys going to do in Nassau for an extra day then?

Loving your blog, by the way!! 

2 hours ago, mworkman said:

I'm a firm believer that when you take vacations with kids to include one event that is educational during the trip, especially if it's in another country so they learn something and have something to write about in school if asked. Then let them have fun for the rest of the trip.  Seems like your doing the same thing Sabrina. 

Actually, that is the exact reason that I gave hubby for booking this excursion. 

As a teacher, I look for the teachable moment always. They are there. I think my kids are starting to catch on though lol....

13 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Glad to hear that the skipping of the port isn't a negative for you.  CocoCay is lovely, even if you just walked around a little but.  Enjoy Nassau (and laying around in bed some more)!

6 minutes ago, SeasTheDayNJ said:

oh man, that stinks! Unless you are not beach people lol. but I am! So what are you guys going to do in Nassau for an extra day then?

Loving your blog, by the way!! 

No clue.  We are still in bed. ?

The Captain announced that we actually won't be able to dock at Nassau until after 6pm because there are already too many ships there today.  We'll probably spend the day exploring the ship. We have really done that yet. 

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

Glad to hear that the skipping of the port isn't a negative for you.  CocoCay is lovely, even if you just walked around a little but.  Enjoy Nassau (and laying around in bed some more)!

No laying in bed!! Get out there and take more pic's and start posting for us all to see :4_joy:

Podcasting comes to mind for todays activities :2_grimacing:

3 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

No clue.  We are still in bed. ?

The Captain announced that we actually won't be able to dock at Nassau until after 6pm because there are already too many ships there today.  We'll probably spend the day exploring the ship. We have really done that yet. 

I do love me some sea days as well, hows the weather? Warmer, I hope! 

11 minutes ago, SeasTheDayNJ said:

I do love me some sea days as well, hows the weather? Warmer, I hope! 

It's currently 68 degrees. The water would have been too cold for the kids to truly enjoy anyway. I will get that menu pic too for you today. I feel like today is a great day to try those desserts! And I have extra OBC now ?

16 minutes ago, mworkman said:

No laying in bed!! Get out there and take more pic's and start posting for us all to see :4_joy:

Podcasting comes to mind for todays activities :2_grimacing:

Podcasting? I only know how to listen to @Matt's.

Everyone got up but now two are back in bed lol

Just got off Anthem before you also in FJ.  This was first time in Sea Class so first time trying CK and we loved it.  Didn't even have to deal with the crowds of MDR for dinner.  Looks like the same menu we had also.  7 day rotating menu, so for our 12 night cruise we almost had every menu twice.  The filet mignon was the BEST we've had in a long time.  Even the steak on the classic menu is a good choice!

3 minutes ago, patmak said:

Just got off Anthem before you also in FJ.  This was first time in Sea Class so first time trying CK and we loved it.  Didn't even have to deal with the crowds of MDR for dinner.  Looks like the same menu we had also.  7 day rotating menu, so for our 12 night cruise we almost had every menu twice.  The filet mignon was the BEST we've had in a long time.  Even the steak on the classic menu is a good choice!

I agree 100%. We were in Sky class on Harmony and the menu is same as that. Breakfast is awesome too! I miss that this time. 

Regular breakfast in the WJ today. Grabbed a few photos. I have noticed that for lunch and breakfast they always have a section of Asian food. I don't remember seeing this that regularly on other ships. @jurrjurr no dim sum though. 

IMG_6179.thumb.JPG.67d6f45a6263d576e3ea8415e27aaef3.JPG

IMG_6178.thumb.JPG.245929c17bfcd7c31ddd795d1bc4b371.JPG

IMG_6177.thumb.JPG.4bfc5ae1c6035398ee8e4deab6a8af22.JPG

IMG_6180.thumb.JPG.bc88ebc1b7eabebb9228c898c0d08f3a.JPG

IMG_6176.thumb.JPG.e20825225f2cecea88c66fe199b60267.JPG

Sorry for all the slanted shots. It was crowded as usual. I am certain I don't like the WJ here on Anthem. The food is good but the poor flow of traffic really bothers me. It is consistently like this. 

I did find this which I thought was very interesting....

IMG_6175.thumb.JPG.42b35988c382bc10f1ee84f5c9e9baf9.JPG

And here on Anthem, mimosas can be found on carts that look like this...

IMG_6182.thumb.JPG.b31825e432795097e317264d5b9e74ac.JPG

Trying to decide what to do now. Hubby might take the kids to the pool so I might go check out the solarium finally. ?

28 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Stayed in the WJ so long that they rolled out lunch desserts...so I snapped a few pics before everything was picked through. Something for all of you to look at while you are having lunch at work ? don't hate me lol

IMG_6185.thumb.JPG.70bdd4f110e77d7912d6349a0f6b0376.JPG

IMG_6183.thumb.JPG.e18e67b397a26701801b0a355087556d.JPG

IMG_6184.thumb.JPG.e358df48f1c51ed4e3527d0a78a5fb89.JPG

The chocolate one looks like a ding dong from hostess.

Solarium Bistro recon

On Oasis class, they had separate breakfast, lunch, and dinner times here. I found this interesting once I got to the entrance:

IMG_6190.thumb.JPG.c0ac6d80f3654bb9427db4e7a2d6a9d1.JPG

Here are some sample food offerings in the Solarium Bistro:

IMG_6191.thumb.JPG.318c7e0147a8d4fcc2e638d869f4fa88.JPG

IMG_6195.thumb.JPG.e24fc8f3407ac6417ecd0fa5618c1dff.JPG

IMG_6187.thumb.JPG.a70bdd569c8d0fc13e2099ea8d78cb6c.JPG

IMG_6189.thumb.JPG.9a040cf1f63f581e365e02b3a3685bc2.JPG

IMG_6194.thumb.JPG.9f042ea0194911e4fe887ab0222e2acd.JPG

Current mood: ?? sitting at the solarium bistro bar with a Coco loco, hubby and kids at the pool

image.thumb.jpg.d199621ca53d0e3cca2bea3ba5bcf28f.jpg

11 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

They are also making Coco locos on board.

The Coco Locos were probably already made earlier.  The bar staff on Anthem told me they start prepping for CocoCay many hours before the ship arrives.  They have to haul cart after cart of food and beverages down to the lower deck to get ready to off load it onto tenders to supply the island (certain tender boats have a flat cargo area on the front to transfer supplies to the island).  This is all accomplished in the 4-5 hours leading up to arrival.  When they skip CocoCay they get to drag all the carts back upstairs and unload them.  It's a tremendous amount of effort.  The Coco Loco (same as the Labradoozie) is made without alcohol.  Alcohol is added at the time of drink purchase.  Instead of just dumping the Coco Loco semi-frozen slushie mix out, they start selling it on the ship.

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

The Coco Locos were probably already made earlier.  The bar staff on Anthem told me they start prepping for CocoCay many hours before the ship arrives.  They have to haul cart after cart of food and beverages down to the lower deck to get ready to off load it onto tenders to supply the island (certain tender boats have a flat cargo area on the front to transfer supplies to the island).  This is all accomplished in the 4-5 hours leading up to arrival.  When they skip CocoCay they get to drag all the carts back upstairs and unload them.  It's a tremendous amount of effort.  The Coco Loco (same as the Labradoozie) is made without alcohol.  Alcohol is added at the time of drink purchase.  Instead of just dumping the Coco Loco semi-frozen slushie mix out, they start selling it on the ship.

That's what I figured too. Especially when I watched mine come out of a cooler ?

Side note: IMO it is not worth it to get the refreshment package and then pay for the difference in alcohol. For example, the rum for my Coco loco was $7.95 plus 18%. That works out to $9.38. A margarita is even more because it has 2 liquors. So basically if you get a good deal on the deluxe package you might as well get that. 

1 hour ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Stayed in the WJ so long that they rolled out lunch desserts...so I snapped a few pics before everything was picked through. Something for all of you to look at while you are having lunch at work ? don't hate me lol

Sabrina, I think it would be impossible for anyone to hate you. You are absolutely one of the nicest people I have never met!! I am certainly not alone in loving your review. Enjoy the rest of your cruise---and the We Will Rock You show.