Anthem of the Seas - March 9-17, 2018

Lovetocruise2002

Pre-cruise report:

Sailing:  March 9-17, 2018, Anthem of the Seas, 8 Night Bahamas cruise

Sailing with:   Hubby and daughters, ages 11 and 9, who I will refer to as D1 and D2 from this point onward.

Flying from: DTW to EWR via Delta.  

Pre-cruise hotel:  Embassy Suites in Elizabeth, NJ.  
We chose this hotel based on several factors.  When travelling with the kids, I like to look for hotels that provide a complimentary breakfast.  It is one less thing to worry about.  Also, this hotel came highly recommended by another site that I like, EatSleepCruise.com for value, space, and ease of getting to the port.  Also, being the hotel/cruise snob that I am, this was one of the few in the area that looked relatively clean and modern.

The itinerary is as follows:
Day 1 – Cape Liberty, NJ
Day 2 and 3 – At Sea
Day 4 – Port Canaveral
Day 5 – Coco Cay
Day 6 – Nassau
Day 7 & 8 – At Sea
Day 9 – Cape Liberty, NJ

We booked the Kennedy Space Center guided tour through RC shore excursions.  Got a great rate on it during the Cruise planner Christmas sale.  At Coco Cay, we have the Aqua Park and Slide combo purchased for the kids.  And Hubby and D2 are going to do the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter in Nassau.

We are lazy cruisers.  The ship is often our destination.  So, going on 3 excursions (only two for D1 and I) is actually quite the splurge for us.

Cabin:  
Unless the last-minute upgrade fairy strikes it’s going to be a Family Junior Suite (FJ) this time around.  Initially, we went with 2 connecting balconies, but then KSF came up in November and we switched it to the FJ so that I could get my dinners in CK.  Picking a cabin with our kids is a bit more difficult.  No one sleeps well when the girls share a bed so we needed a room that has a Pullman or can accommodate a rollaway.  Also, with 2 girls and myself, a 2nd bathroom is becoming a necessity.  So, the FJ fit those requirements as it has 1 ½ baths, and we have one on Deck 9 that has an additional Pullman.  

Our plan was to book the FJ and then wait for the 45-60 day price drop (as I have seen on many sailings) and upgrade to a full suite.  However, this was one of the few times that this did not work out. The price did drop around the 60 day mark, however, KSF ended by then so it was not worth it to upgrade.

Random Pre-cruise thoughts:
-    It’s our first time:
•    Bringing our kids on RC.  We have sailed DCL with them 3 times in the past.  
•    In a Junior suite.  We’ve done interiors, ocean view, regular balconies, and full suites but never Sea class.
•    Sailing Quantum Class.  As many of you know, I am a huge Oasis class fan.  I also tend to favour the newer and bigger ships.  However, Hubby does not like to sail the same ship twice in a short time span.  That’s where Anthem fit the bill.  It also worked out nicely that this sailing just made the cut off date for KSF.  I must admit that I do feel some apprehension about this sailing.  As a creature of habit, I will miss my morning coffee and nightly strolls in Central Park and the amazing shows in the Aqua Theater.  In addition, sailing out of NJ in March makes me a bit nervous.  The weather and seas are always up in the air and sailing out of cold weather (and snow now, thanks to Nor'easter) doesn't quite sit well with me.
•    Doing a Live Blog!  I can’t say enough how much I love this RC Blog community and how much I have learned and benefited from all of you.  I see this as a way of contributing back.

-    We plan to eat most of our dinners in Coastal Kitchen.  We were able to make reservations in the Cruise Planner this time.  This option became available in the Cruise Planner around 170 days out.  Disappeared for a while and then came back again.  When we sailed on Harmony, we had to wait until we got the Concierge email or book on board.  Going from what others have reported on other boards, it seems that you can make reservations ahead of time on Quantum class ships but not Oasis class.  We also made reservations for dinner at Jamie’s for one night.  The pasta was calling, and we could not turn away.

-    We purchased VOOM for 2 devices.  Too bad for the kids but @twangster saved the day for them.

-    All other entertainment reservations (shows, iFly, North Star) have been made.  These all showed up in the Cruise Planner about 160 days out.

-    This cruise sold out over a month ago.  It reached the ¾ lifeboat capacity back in November!  It’s March break in Ontario and according CC roll call and FB pages for this sailing there will be lots of kids and many Toronto Maple Leafs fans!  Hubby will be in good company!

-    The teacher in me is hoping that this can be an interactive live blog. Meaning, if there is anything you would like me to find out please do not hesitate to ask away.  I will do my best to check back regularly and find out for you.

-    Lastly, I will likely be doing most of my blogging from my phone, so if you are replying to something that has pics attached, please do not include the pics in your reply.  Thanks!  ?

Following!  We're on the same itinerary on the Anthem this October.  I'll live vicariously through you for now :D  

Wishing you good weather luck!  We just got dumped on pretty hard in South Jersey today, and they're talking about another storm this Sunday... You might have some snow on the ship for departure!

31 minutes ago, firebuck said:

Following!  We're on the same itinerary on the Anthem this October.  I'll live vicariously through you for now :D  

Wishing you good weather luck!  We just got dumped on pretty hard in South Jersey today, and they're talking about another storm this Sunday... You might have some snow on the ship for departure!

Oh I know! I have been tracking all sorts of weather over the last few days wishing we were flying to Florida instead! 

There is actually a meteorologist from NJ on our sailing. He's been giving out info like crazy on the FB page for this sailing. Looks like snow and possibly a rocky start on Friday. Loaded up on the Gravol (Canadian version of Dramamine) for my kids and packed lots of large ziploc bags just in case ? 

23 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Oh I know! I have been tracking all sorts of weather over the last few days wishing we were flying to Florida instead! 

There is actually a meteorologist from NJ on our sailing. He's been giving out info like crazy on the FB page for this sailing. Looks like snow and possibly a rocky start on Friday. Loaded up on the Gravol (Canadian version of Dramamine) for my kids and packed lots of large ziploc bags just in case ? 

Wishing you and your family, as well as the rest of the RC blog cruisers on this trip the best. If you can find some ginger snap cookies (try Walmart) they are  pretty good for, well you know what in rough seas. They don't make you drowsy like Dramamine can and you kids will probably like them. "Hey kids, want some cookies"? I take them with me when ever I go scuba diving in rough water. All the best! :27_sunglasses:

4 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

•    Doing a Live Blog!  I can’t say enough how much I love this RC Blog community and how much I have learned and benefited from all of you.  I see this as a way of contributing back

-    We purchased VOOM for 2 devices.  Too bad for the kids but @twangster It’s March break in Ontario and according CC roll call and FB pages for this sailing there will be lots of kids and many Toronto Maple Leafs fans!  Hubby will be in good company!

First of all i just have to say "GO RED WINGS!"  

Thanks so much for live blogging.  I love reading everyone elses, and i never blog because it is so much work.  I appreciate you making the effort!  

I will be interested to see if the colder northern weather for much of the trip bothers you at all.  I am so looking forward to sun and warm (escape from chicago) on freedom out of fort lauderdale and im not sure if the enclosed solarium would be enough.  I would love your insights on if the boat has enough warm places....we could drive east and save airfare.  

Have a wonderful trip!  Jane

14 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

First of all i just have to say "GO RED WINGS!"  

Thanks so much for live blogging.  I love reading everyone elses, and i never blog because it is so much work.  I appreciate you making the effort!  

I will be interested to see if the colder northern weather for much of the trip bothers you at all.  I am so looking forward to sun and warm (escape from chicago) on freedom out of fort lauderdale and im not sure if the enclosed solarium would be enough.  I would love your insights on if the boat has enough warm places....we could drive east and save airfare.  

Have a wonderful trip!  Jane

I have to say..."Let's go Pens!" But I live among TML fans....

And yes, I love reading other blogs and learn so much from them that's it time to make the effort to do the same ? 

I can tell you that the cold weather is already bothering me. I have packing down pretty good but we are struggling this time with the extra layers that we had to bring. Tomorrow morning I will have to sit on my suitcases to close them ? I'll keep you posted on how cold/warm the ship is. The lower cost of airfare is one of the things that swayed us to this cruise in the first place. 

17 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I have to say..."Let's go Pens!" But I live among TML fans....

And yes, I love reading other blogs and learn so much from them that's it time to make the effort to do the same ? 

I can tell you that the cold weather is already bothering me. I have packing down pretty good but we are struggling this time with the extra layers that we had to bring. Tomorrow morning I will have to sit on my suitcases to close them ? I'll keep you posted on how cold/warm the ship is. The lower cost of airfare is one of the things that swayed us to this cruise in the first place. 

Omg...the maple leafs were bad enough lol!  Penguins?  Ugh!   I am married to a chicago fan and live here (i grew up in the detroit area).  Who do your kids root for?  My girls are red wings fans but i tell everone i lost my son's soul...he is a blackhawks fan.   The packing is so hard with just not knowing.  Praying your flights and arrival go ok with the weather!  Jane

10 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Have a safe flight in, and fingers crossed it’s not canceled! We ended up with about 18 inches of snow where I live, haven’t seen what Newark got yet. But roads are looking pretty decent right now, hopefully airport is in good shape, too.

18 inches?  We have gotten lucky in the chicago area and missed your 2 latest big storms.  We have only had 1 snow day so far.  Jane 

1 hour ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Sidney Crosby!

YES!!! did you hear anything about your flights? My office is closed in Paramus NJ, there are downed trees and wires everywhere. It's about 1/2 hour from Newark.  The Embassy Suites is very nice, you will love it, they have free cocktails and hor dourves in the evening too! Following and have a great time!! 

Safe travels! I am also thinking of trying a live blog on Harmony. I should have some time in the afternoon to write a bit but I worry about trying to keep it up.  Can't wait to follow along. 

All I can say is Go Preds! Says a girl from Chicago, married to a guy from Pittsburgh, which of course makes us Predator fans!

@Sabrinaklai, you might get a kick out of this: my co-worker, who is sailing on Anthem on the 18th, actually asked me a few minutes ago "what ship am I sailing on again?" Oh, first-time cruisers...
giphy.gif

And, yes, @melski94, you should totally do a live blog on Harmony if you can, as I am always excited to read trip reports with photos! 

10 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

Omg...the maple leafs were bad enough lol!  Penguins?  Ugh!   I am married to a chicago fan and live here (i grew up in the detroit area).  Who do your kids root for?  My girls are red wings fans but i tell everone i lost my son's soul...he is a blackhawks fan.   The packing is so hard with just not knowing.  Praying your flights and arrival go ok with the weather!  Jane

Growing up in Windsor, our city was split between Leafs and Red Wing fans and the odd Habs fan. 

Have you visited the new Little Caesars Arena?  Very nice venue!! 

10 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

18 inches?  We have gotten lucky in the chicago area and missed your 2 latest big storms.  We have only had 1 snow day so far.  Jane 

1 hour ago, ellcee said:

Enjoy every second!!!! The weather is fine here - your flight should have no issues. The snow is slush and already melting!!!

NYC clearly got some love compared to my neck of northern NJ. 3 feet of snow piled up on my deck, 2+ feet in my front yard, none of it visibly melting just yet (although it's so deep I probably couldn't tell at a glance anyway).

At DTW waiting for our flight. Just tried Chick-fil-A for the first time! All is good. Flight is on time. Plane is already at the gate ? Here's a pic near our gate to show @bcarney that DTW is not as bad as people think. At least not here at the McNamara terminal where Delta flies out of. 

IMG_6005.thumb.JPG.6b9f5e0fc5a962f9feda71d10fea8c92.JPG

3 hours ago, melski94 said:

Safe travels! I am also thinking of trying a live blog on Harmony. I should have some time in the afternoon to write a bit but I worry about trying to keep it up.  Can't wait to follow along. 

All I can say is Go Preds! Says a girl from Chicago, married to a guy from Pittsburgh, which of course makes us Predator fans!

You should! I need a Harmony fix because March 2019 is too far! I have no idea if I can keep this up either but I'll try!

3 hours ago, jurrjurr said:

Growing up in Windsor, our city was split between Leafs and Red Wing fans and the odd Habs fan. 

Yes. I don't care for it. Parking is crazy expensive and the seats are super tight. We miss the Joe! Saw Crosby raise the cup there! Memories....

4 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

At DTW waiting for our flight. Just tried Chick-fil-A for the first time! All is good. Flight is on time. Plane is already at the gate ? Here's a pic near our gate to show @bcarney that DTW is not as bad as people think. At least not here at the McNamara terminal where Delta flies out of. 

Have you walked through the tunnel between terminals?  

6 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Umm...nope. ?

If you have time the tunnel is kinda cool.  Also the fountain near A center.  Search youtube for 'DTW tunnel'.

3 hours ago, jurrjurr said:

@Sabrinaklai Is this the ship that has dim sum?  I was watching ship tour videos and I thought I saw a dim sum sign on one of the Quantum class ships.

I don't recall seeing it on Anthem.  Given that Quantum is in Asia I would expect her to have it.

3 hours ago, accio7 said:

@Sabrinaklai, you might get a kick out of this: my co-worker, who is sailing on Anthem on the 18th, actually asked me a few minutes ago "what ship am I sailing on again?" Oh, first-time cruisers.

Not just first time cruisers. Up until Friday, hubby was telling everyone that we were flying to Florida. At the border into the US earlier the conversation with the customs officer went like this:

CO: Where are you headed?

Hubby: New Jersey

CO: How?

H: uh...by plane

CO: What airline?

H: uh...(looks at me)

Me: Delta

CO: When are you coming back? 

H: uh....

Me: on the 17th

Not sure at this point if he knows what ship we are on tomorrow. ?

6 hours ago, jurrjurr said:

I was at the last season at the Joe but haven't gotten to the new one yet!   Can't wait! Jane

Made it to Newark. All checked in at Embassy Suites. Nice hotel. Super busy. Lots of cruisers for tomorrow.

The hotel offers a complimentary happy hour from 5:30pm-7:30pm. We checked it out for a bit and now having dinner at Ruby Tuesday which is about a 1min walk. Other things within walking distance from here are IHOP and Jersey Gardens outlet. 

Here are some pics of our home for one night:

IMG_6006.thumb.JPG.23003aa4a1b13692c9c4d10ef9fcf2ff.JPGIMG_6008.thumb.JPG.a43cb81572ed65af72f38baee95985de.JPGIMG_6011.thumb.JPG.6fc4bdbc8db0ce52ca253771839fd558.JPGIMG_6012.thumb.JPG.0b04f4233a0dd17ca7e2639338e21a5b.JPGIMG_6013.thumb.JPG.6abfde3197c4ea9755f46d6e843d49e2.JPGIMG_6014.thumb.JPG.6cc4b6e8dfad882bfaa9a2d0659b4fce.JPGIMG_6010.thumb.JPG.e12d60930b02cc903d78c231fa85adcb.JPG

6 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Made it to Newark. All checked in at Embassy Suites. Nice hotel. Super busy. Lots of cruisers for tomorrow.

The hotel offers a complimentary happy hour from 5:30pm-7:30pm. We checked it out for a bit and now having dinner at Ruby Tuesday which is about a 1min walk. Other things within walking distance from here are IHOP and Jersey Gardens outlet. 

Here are some pics of our home for one night:

IMG_6006.thumb.JPG.23003aa4a1b13692c9c4d10ef9fcf2ff.JPGIMG_6008.thumb.JPG.a43cb81572ed65af72f38baee95985de.JPGIMG_6011.thumb.JPG.6fc4bdbc8db0ce52ca253771839fd558.JPGIMG_6012.thumb.JPG.0b04f4233a0dd17ca7e2639338e21a5b.JPGIMG_6013.thumb.JPG.6abfde3197c4ea9755f46d6e843d49e2.JPGIMG_6014.thumb.JPG.6cc4b6e8dfad882bfaa9a2d0659b4fce.JPGIMG_6010.thumb.JPG.e12d60930b02cc903d78c231fa85adcb.JPG

Have a wonderful time!!!