Desserts on all Royal Cruises

Lindsay

Why do desserts taste like there is no sugar in them on Royal Cruises?  

After about our 3rd RC cruise, we asked someone with Royal about this and they said they are paying mind to the diabetic eaters on board as well as gluten free.  They went on to tell us that if we want something with sugar we can purchase Ben & Jerry's or buy a cupcake. 

Later in our stateroom when my husband and I were talking about the answer we were given we both joked - Well, what about the people who WANT desserts with sugar and that taste like a dessert?!?!?!?!  Why should we have to buy sugar if we want it?  We are on vacation, not over-weight, and don't have a dietary restriction.  We want SUGAR on vacation!

Over the years we have noticed desserts have started to taste a little bit better.  But still not great.  It can't be a money thing right?  I'm sure they could whip up a huge tray of brownies that taste good, right?

Anyways, just wondering if anyone else has noticed this? 

1 minute ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Lol!  I've always thought they tasted way too sweet!  Just goes to show you that food is very subjective....

I agree with @Sabrinaklai, especially the Carrot Cake and the Red Velvet cake and there is a molten chocolate cake from one of the specialty restaurants with a scoop of ice cream, awesome... 

Never tried the little chocolate ball from Wonderland, so no comment there.

I think the person who told you all of this is talking out of their backside. Diabetics can't eat it because there actually is sugar in it...there aren't that many gluten free choices and they are clearly marked. It doesn't matter to many diabetics if it has 'less sugar' and someone who is gluten free wouldn't benefit from 'less gluten'.

I think, as mentioned above, it's subjective.

Just now, HeWhoWaits said:

They used to do a chocolate buffet for one night of the midnight buffet. Clearly dating myself since I remember the midnight buffet.

Hmm... what time was that buffet at usually?

2 minutes ago, Lindsay said:

They need to do both!  Wonder why they aren't doing this????

Cost. Many cruise lines used to do this and stopped for expense reasons.  I remember seeing it about 10 years ago. I was fascinated at the sheer amount of food and the presentation.

18 minutes ago, ellcee said:

Cost. Many cruise lines used to do this and stopped for expense reasons.  I remember seeing it about 10 years ago. I was fascinated at the sheer amount of food and the presentation.

Boooooo.  I hear cost is the reason why we don't have steel drums anymore on cruises too!  A keyboard with "simulated" steel drums isn't the same.

I would be willing to pay more if they bring these things back!!!!

2 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

They used to do a chocolate buffet for one night of the midnight buffet. Clearly dating myself since I remember the midnight buffet.

My husband and I had a galley tour a few years ago and the chef told us they had to eliminate the midnight buffet because of labor laws.  He said it caused the crew to work too many hours.

1 hour ago, KLAconQueso said:

HAHA... I was playing off of the "most hated crew question" you hear about all the time... what time does the midnight buffet start. :4_joy:

On three different 7 night cruises between 1998 and 2003, the "midnight buffet" was only at midnight 4 nights. First night was at 11:00 or 11:30, Chocolate Buffet was open for eating at 12:30 (after an 11:30 "viewing opportunity" for early dinner seating guests and 12:00 for late seating), and the last night of the cruise was at 11:30.

"What time does the midnight buffet start?" was a legitimate question for those who didn't read the Cruise Compass.

5 hours ago, HeWhoWaits said:

On three different 7 night cruises between 1998 and 2003, the "midnight buffet" was only at midnight 4 nights. First night was at 11:00 or 11:30, Chocolate Buffet was open for eating at 12:30 (after an 11:30 "viewing opportunity" for early dinner seating guests and 12:00 for late seating), and the last night of the cruise was at 11:30.

"What time does the midnight buffet start?" was a legitimate question for those who didn't read the Cruise Compass.

Oh...the viewing part was torture lol! I am dating myself too. Might have to go home and look back at pics now. I miss those days of cruising! And DCL still does the "midnight-ish" buffet. It's one night on a 7 night cruise. So not sure how they get around labour laws?

18 hours ago, Dawn T. said:

My husband and I had a galley tour a few years ago and the chef told us they had to eliminate the midnight buffet because of labor laws.  He said it caused the crew to work too many hours.

Hmmm.  Labor laws at sea.  Interesting concept.   18 hr work days as it is so more hours equates to more human capital equates to more cost.   Labor laws or financial laws?

33 minutes ago, twangster said:

Hmmm.  Labor laws at sea.  Interesting concept.   18 hr work days as it is so more hours equates to more human capital equates to more cost.   Labor laws or financial laws?

I've always assumed it was financial up until I read this yesterday. Like I said, other lines still do it. 

1 hour ago, twangster said:

The only part that I remembered from that galley tour was the labor issue.  Rob reminded me that the chef also said that the demand for the midnight buffet just wasn't high enough, and that resulted in high food waste.  He did give us good information on the hours worked and why the midnight buffet became a labor issue, but I don't remember specifically what he said.  It made sense at the time though.  I didn't realize other lines still do this, so maybe Royal really did cut it for cost issues.

14 minutes ago, Dawn T. said:

The only part that I remembered from that galley tour was the labor issue.  Rob reminded me that the chef also said that the demand for the midnight buffet just wasn't high enough, and that resulted in high food waste.  He did give us good information on the hours worked and why the midnight buffet became a labor issue, but I don't remember specifically what he said.  It made sense at the time though.  I didn't realize other lines still do this, so maybe Royal really did cut it for cost issues.

Personally I've never seen the need for a midnight buffet.  With all the food available during the day, eating at midnight was never a priority for me.  I don't need or want four meals a day, including one just before going to bed. 

I'm fine with it being cut because I do believe it was mostly wasted which in itself creates more expense - having to deal with all that waste in an environmentally friendly manner, short of just dumping it overboard.  All the effort to prepare it, then all the effort to dispose of most of it, all for a handful of guests who actually took advantage.  

55 minutes ago, twangster said:

Personally I've never seen the need for a midnight buffet.  With all the food available during the day, eating at midnight was never a priority for me.  I don't need or want four meals a day, including one just before going to bed. 

I'm fine with it being cut because I do believe it was mostly wasted which in itself creates more expense - having to deal with all that waste in an environmentally friendly manner, short of just dumping it overboard.  All the effort to prepare it, then all the effort to dispose of most of it, all for a handful of guests who actually took advantage.  

I am interested to see if the Asia itineraries offer a variety of  late-night food options.  In Asian countries, late-night eats if very popular.  Even in the GTA, they have restaurants open until 4am! 

• 5 weeks later...

The only midnight buffet I ever saw was in 1997 on the Viking Serenade which as we speak is on its final voyage to the scrap yard.  I had to wake myself up to make it there, take a picture, fill a plate, wander back to my room, take a bite, and fall back asleep.  This was pre kid clubs and pretty much pre anything except cruising and eating.