Help Me- RC newby. Sailing Allure. Totally confused and overwhelmed.

Hi! I booked a 7 night Eastern Caribbean on the Allure for Sept/Oct of 2018. I have cruised Disney for the last 10 years religiously, as Disney cruisers tend to do. I am sailing with my husband and 5 children aged 3-17. 

I am sosososo confused about this whole situation (dining, entertainment, child care, specialty dining, drinks packages {is coffee complementary?? etc etc etc}). I have been doing a lot of research, asking questions where I can, but I still feel like I know and understand nothing about the process. Is there any kind soul, who is an experienced RC cruiser, who has sailed on Allure, who would be willing to answer my questions? I don't even know If I am posting this in the right place. Help me. Help meeeeeee!

Thank you! 

Welcome to the RCL Blog and you’re going to be set with information here!

I will bet you won’t sail on Dinsey again. Nothing wrong with Disney, but RC is hands down the best value end-to-end.

Hang on for all the info.

Who’s got a list of short cuts for the lady?

You sound overwhelmed, but don't be. you've come to the right place! There is so much information here and insight. Breathe! @Sabrinaklai and @twangster  I bet will help you along your way along with many many others. I don't have children, never sailed on Disney so their insight is better than mine, but trust me, this Blog has helped me tremendously! Welcome to the RCL Blog! 

Child care will be offered ok port days and on sea days. Unlike Disney, though, the clubs close for a few hours on sea days. Opening hours are usually 9-12, 2-5, and 7-10. After hours care is available for the younger ones at around $7-8 per hour charged in 15 minute increments and did not need to be prebooked. 

Prebooking shows is helpful, but you can also wing it, but I wouldn't recommend this for the aqua or comedy shows. Dinner is either fixed or flexible depending on what you booked. Like Disney, you can go to specialty restaurants or stuck with the complimentary restaurants. 

A great complimentary option for breakfast is Johnny Rockets. Many are fans of the Park Cafe, too. 

1 hour ago, diesel2512 said:

Hi! I booked a 7 night Eastern Caribbean on the Allure for Sept/Oct of 2018. I have cruised Disney for the last 10 years religiously, as Disney cruisers tend to do. I am sailing with my husband and 5 children aged 3-17. 

I am sosososo confused about this whole situation (dining, entertainment, child care, specialty dining, drinks packages {is coffee complementary?? etc etc etc}). I have been doing a lot of research, asking questions where I can, but I still feel like I know and understand nothing about the process. Is there any kind soul, who is an experienced RC cruiser, who has sailed on Allure, who would be willing to answer my questions? I don't even know If I am posting this in the right place. Help me. Help meeeeeee!

Thank you! 

Hi @diesel2512!  Welcome to the message boards.  Here's a bit of reading to get you started.  

This is a link posted by @Matt, a general overview of things to do on Allure:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/08/15/9-things-try-allure-of-the-seas

Next is a really detailed review by Jim Zimmerlin, a guy who cruises a lot and gives really comprehensive reviews of his sailings:

http://www.jimzim.net/AllureOfTheSeas.html

Here's another link from another thread where we compared DCL to RC:

What type of cabin are you sailing in?  That might help narrow down some of your questions about dining, entertainment etc.  @Gears is correct.  I have sailed DCL several times but I love RC way more.  And you will find that your money will go a whole lot further on RC.

You're still pretty far out from the sail date in that the Cruise Planner (where you book all your things) might not be open for a whole lot of booking yet. But you are definitely doing the right thing by doing your research first.  And you have found the best place.  This is the best community of friendly and knowledgeable people.  So feel free to ask away!

The opening date of booking entertainment and dining in your cruise planner varies by sail date.  Generally, they say 90 days out, but, in my past experience, it has opened up sometimes as early as 160-170 days out.  You have to keep checking.  There's no predicting it.  What I can tell you it that when it does open, it's not a mad house like it is on DCL's website.  And the site won't crash on you.  I hate the booking process on DCL.  

I cannot tell you much about kids programs yet as I have not sailed RC with my own kids (9, 11) yet.  This Friday will be their first RC cruise.  However, there are many here who can answer Adventure Ocean questions.  From what I know, it is fairly competitive with Oceaneer Club.

Your basic drinks are complimentary.  The only difference between DCL and RC is that soda is included with DCL but not with RC.  You have to purchase a soda/refreshment/drink package to get soda.  Coffee, tea, regular water (not bottled), fountain juice is all complimentary.  Here is another link that covers drink options by @Matt:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/royal-caribbean-beverage-package-costs-info-tips

Your MDR meals are also covered for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  RC does not do rotational dining like DCL.  You can either choose from My Time (you select a time and make reservations or just show up and wait like a regular land restaurant) or Traditional Dining (pick a set time each day).  If you want Traditional, the option does fill up fast so make sure you request that early, even now.  Complimentary food is also available at Windjammer (which is Cabanas on DCL), Park Cafe, Promenade Cafe, Solarium Bistro, Johnny Rockets (for breakfast), the Dog House (I think that's what it's called..on the Boardwalk), Vitality Cafe...I might be missing some here but others can fill in...I find that RC has a lot more food options than DCL. 

Allure also has specialty restaurants much like Palo and Remy.  Places like Chops, Giovanni's, 150 Central to name a few all charge a fee.  You can either pay individually to eat at them (prices will be in the Cruise planner when release) or get a dining package which allows you to eat at 2, 3, 4, 5, all of them (different packages).  If you are in a suite, you also have the Coastal Kitchen option.

Hope that covers some of it ?

Let us know as more questions come up.

Welcome!

I think the biggest difference to DCL (besides the price) is that soda is not free (package is $8.50 a day).  Not a problem for me as I don’t allow my kids the soda package. 

Free drinks include coffee, tea (premium is extra), water, some flavored waters at lunch, milk.

We eat in the main dining room typically.  If DH and I want a date night, then the 2 or us will eat in a specialty restaurant and feed the kids in the windjammer.  While food is subjective, specialty dining is not necessary to enjoy your cruise. 

I have 4 kids ages 18-6.  All have loved cruising with RC and I’ve had someone in every club.  It’s different than DCL but it is still lots of fun. 

Come back with more questions!

There's lots of REALLY good advice here, and I totally get that's overwhelming. I am a relatively new cruiser myself, and have five under my belt with RC. I will be taking my family on Allure for the first time in June and can't wait. I expect to be doing a live blog in the live blog section of this message board. Despite this...I can't help but wonder if you are experiencing any frustration with where to start specifically in the Cruise Planner. With the cruises I have been on and the hundreds of dummy bookings I have done, I remember how non-intuitive the Cruise Planner can be until you get used to navigating it.

So, my first question is...have you associated your reservation ID to your sailing in the Cruise Planner? My second is have you set up a Crown and Anchor membership number yet (so you can get credit after your sailing)? My third is, do you have a good travel agent (not necessary, but it may affect how some responses come your way)?

If you have done those things, that is half the battle. The rest is figuring out what you want to do and when, as well as where to click in the Cruise Planner. It is NOT intuitive, but you found the right place for help! This site and the message boards have been priceless resources to me in figuring out how to plan things out, especially when it comes to making reservations on Oasis class ships.

As soon as it was available for my sailing, I made my reservations for the things I absolutely wanted to do...like the comedy shows and the aqua shows. I also did Izumi Hibatchi, 150 Central Park, Mama Mia and a few other things which now show up in my Calendar in the Cruise Planner. I learned a few things doing it because we are in two staterooms, so if any of this fits your situation, I or a whole bunch of people in this community can give a few tips. You could also do some searches on key words that interest you and Matt's posts may have the answers you are looking for. If you like podcasts, his are the best about cruising I have heard...hands down.

15 hours ago, diesel2512 said:

Is there any kind soul, who is an experienced RC cruiser, who has sailed on Allure, who would be willing to answer my questions?

This forum is dedicated to answering those kinds of questions.  Create a post for each question and we can all jump in and assist in answering.

I promise it's not nearly as complicated as you may think.  In fact, going on Allure is going to be a great vacation experience!

Don't be overwhelmed!  We are all here to help.  

This is a great place to start.  Also, download the ShipMate App.  Lots of good info there.  

Have you set up your My Cruises account with Royal Caribbean using your reservation #?  This is also packed with info specifically about your cruise. 

I hope this is helpful!

Hey I was just like u. Did 8 DCL cruises and wouldn't try another cruise company.

However, living in NJ, the chance to cruise out of Port Liberty, 1 hr away, was so tempting. Not only that, it was a Canadian Itinerary. 

I did a ton of research, tons. Now here's the funny part. Our experiences w/ DCL was fantastic, and I knew no other cruiseline could live up to that. 

So when we arrived at the Port for our cruise last summer on the Anthem of the Seas, I had my mental clipboard ready to rate every aspect and pretty much expected the worse. 

Arriving at the Port was a breeze!. Not backed up, like P Canaveral. We pulled up, immediately handed them our luggage, gave them a tip and parked in the adjoining parking lot.  (I rated that a 10!)  Walking into the terminal for check in.... another breeze, a few guys w/ tablets checked us in immediately, done!  (I was in shock!)

Then they sat us down, in order of arrival. No one hung out by the entrance to the ship. No one cutting ahead. No boarding #. Your seat was your boarding #. Very organized. We boarded about 11:15.

My wife thought she was going to hate the cruise. With the shopping look of the main areas, etc. 

When we boarded, it was so different and the really only negatives were no huge atrium. Also planning the shows ahead of time was easy, but planning the "attractions" on the ship was impossible. We were told online to wait until you board. That's a lousy way to handle it for people like me that don't want to run as soon as you board to wait on a big line to plan all the attractions, rides on the ship.

But that's where the negatives end. The eating onboard is pretty much the same as dcl and maybe a bit better on RC. More variety on Windjammer buffet. The soda issue was zero, since you can have flavored water that taste really good. 

Your kids will love the physical activities onboard. Hey the dodge ball was a blast to watch, and matter of fact the game we observed was won but a lady in a formal dress, she beat everyone else. Tons of cool activities.

I loved at night just sitting in the different bars listening to the different musicians and groups. They don't push drinks on u and make u feel uncomfortable. The 3 main shows were decent, and a little weird, however everyone else loved, so it must be ME. 

Remember as a DCL veteran, I was very pleased. The Canadian port were great, and Bar Habour was really beautiful. Tendering there was a hassle, but take that in stride. 

I didn't need my mental clipboard after the first day. It was a great trip. Remember to book another one onboard, cause RC only requires $100 down and u can cancel at anytime. I booked onboard and when i got home I found a cheaper rate for a longer cruise going to the same ports, with 2 additional ports and called RC and they just switched it over.

I wont stop doing DCL cruises, but for older kids and adults, RC has same neat things to offer.

Chris

23 hours ago, diesel2512 said:

Thank you! 

Here is a breakdown of food on Allure:

Complimentary Restaurants

Windjammer: The main buffet. It never lets you down.

Main Dining Room: Complimentary sit-down service available for all guests.

Park Café: Casual café in Central Park some would compare to a Panera.

Solarium Bistro: Healthier dining in the adults only area. It is a buffet during lunch but converts to a sit down restaurant/buffet hybrid in the evening.

Vitality Café: Healthy quick-serve options located right outside the gym. Also has protein shakes.

Sorrento's: Pizza joint in the Promenade that is open 24 hours.

Café Promenade: Serves sandwiches and other items in the Promenade.

Dog House: Hot dogs on the Boardwalk.

Coastal Kitchen: This is a main dining room for suite guests only.

Specialty Restaurants

Chops Grille: Royal Caribbean's classic steakhouse. Usually around $49 for dinner and $22 for lunch.

150 Central Park: Farm to table style restaurant by celebrity chef Michael Schwartz. Usually around $49 for dinner and $22 for lunch.

Izumi: Great sushi. Also has a hibachi option like a Benihana. Pricing is a la carte for sushi and $45 for the hibachi experience.

Giovanni's Table: Classic Italian restaurant. Usually around $35 for dinner and $25 for lunch.

Sabor: Mexican restaurant with great guacamole and margaritas. Usually around $22 for lunch and dinner.

Johnny Rockets: A classic Johnny Rockets just like on land. There is a small charge for lunch and dinner but they serve complimentary breakfast.

Chef's Table: This is the Ferrari of specialty restaurants. It's a private 5 course experience. Usually around $95.

If you decide to eat at multiple specialty restaurants I highly recommend a dining package of some kind. A dining package makes the cost per meal significantly lower. Usually around $20-$30 per meal depending on the package which is almost a 50% savings at some restaurants. There may also be an option for buy one get one free available depending on your sailing. Also, do not make a reservation for kids 12 and under. Just let them know onboard that your kids will be joining you and there is a $10 charge for kids rather than the full price you would pay online. You don't have to eat at a specialty restaurant at all if you don't want to, but it definitely adds to the experience.

You have found the perfect place to plan your cruise. There is literally no other resource like this blog out there, period. If I have questions about a Royal Caribbean cruise I don't call Royal Caribbean or go to their website, I come here. Check out the Royal Caribbean blog podcasts on the website or on iTunes for free. Matt also does live Facebook and Periscope Q&A sessions daily where he always answers everyone's questions in real time. They're fun to listen to when you have a question or just want to get excited about your vacation.

I just have to add... I FEEL YA! This will be my 1st RC cruise, I have always been loyal to Carnival in the past (i know...i know :9_innocent:), but I was so confused and didn't know where to start. Also, I am new to message boards, so that's a double whammy. 

That being said, the members here are GREAT! and so knowledgeable! I haven't even cruised yet (10 days away on Anthem of the Seas), but I feel like an expert (woah now) already! Between the live blogs, and the menus, and the reviews, and the friendliness, and the answered questions of all sorts, my 1st timer anxiety has subsided and I'm ready to get this vacation started!!  

You've come to the right place!

Below is a link to a past cruise compass for Allure. The cruise compass is basically a list of all activities, entertainment, and dining for the day. People save theirs and send them to Matt to post on the blog. While your sailing may not be exactly the same, this will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect on your cruise.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compasses/allure-of-the-seas/sun-2017-10-22-0000

Hi @diesel2512, welcome to our big family!

You've already gotten a ton of great advice here. I'll add one little extra regarding your questions about the complimentary drinks, partly as a clarification on @melski94's comment:

20 hours ago, melski94 said:

Free drinks include coffee, tea (premium is extra), water, some flavored waters at lunch, milk.

Regular coffee or tea is complimentary, but espresso-based beverages like lattes or cappuccinos are not and you will need to pay for those. If you buy either the Refreshment Package or Deluxe Beverage Package, these "specialty coffees" are covered and you won't be charged anything extra.

Now on Allure, you also happen to have a dedicated Starbucks on board in addition to the Park Cafe and other venues that sell espresso-based beverages, and it gets a little more complicated. The Starbucks will not honor the drink packages if you purchased one, as on the Allure and other Oasis class ships the Starbucks venues are independently operated franchises. In fact, I think Starbucks even charges for their regular coffee, but I will leave it to others here to confirm that.

Hopefully this small flood of information from all of us isn't overwhelming you! Let us know what else we can help you with. I was in your shoes 14 months ago, when I booked my very first cruise ever (which still doesn't sail for another 21 days!), and the folks here were great about answering the hundreds of questions I've had over that time. Haven't yet boarded a single ship, yet I feel like when I finally do I'm going to be totally confident about what to expect and how to enjoy it all to the fullest.

On 3/7/2018 at 9:29 AM, cruiselife said:

Here is a breakdown of food on Allure:

Complimentary Restaurants

Windjammer: The main buffet. It never lets you down.

Main Dining Room: Complimentary sit-down service available for all guests.

Park Café: Casual café in Central Park some would compare to a Panera.

Solarium Bistro: Healthier dining in the adults only area. It is a buffet during lunch but converts to a sit down restaurant/buffet hybrid in the evening.

Vitality Café: Healthy quick-serve options located right outside the gym. Also has protein shakes.

Sorrento's: Pizza joint in the Promenade that is open 24 hours.

Café Promenade: Serves sandwiches and other items in the Promenade.

Dog House: Hot dogs on the Boardwalk.

Coastal Kitchen: This is a main dining room for suite guests only.

Specialty Restaurants

Chops Grille: Royal Caribbean's classic steakhouse. Usually around $49 for dinner and $22 for lunch.

150 Central Park: Farm to table style restaurant by celebrity chef Michael Schwartz. Usually around $49 for dinner and $22 for lunch.

Izumi: Great sushi. Also has a hibachi option like a Benihana. Pricing is a la carte for sushi and $45 for the hibachi experience.

Giovanni's Table: Classic Italian restaurant. Usually around $35 for dinner and $25 for lunch.

Sabor: Mexican restaurant with great guacamole and margaritas. Usually around $22 for lunch and dinner.

Johnny Rockets: A classic Johnny Rockets just like on land. There is a small charge for lunch and dinner but they serve complimentary breakfast.

Chef's Table: This is the Ferrari of specialty restaurants. It's a private 5 course experience. Usually around $95.

If you decide to eat at multiple specialty restaurants I highly recommend a dining package of some kind. A dining package makes the cost per meal significantly lower. Usually around $20-$30 per meal depending on the package which is almost a 50% savings at some restaurants. There may also be an option for buy one get one free available depending on your sailing. Also, do not make a reservation for kids 12 and under. Just let them know onboard that your kids will be joining you and there is a $10 charge for kids rather than the full price you would pay online. You don't have to eat at a specialty restaurant at all if you don't want to, but it definitely adds to the experience.

You have found the perfect place to plan your cruise. There is literally no other resource like this blog out there, period. If I have questions about a Royal Caribbean cruise I don't call Royal Caribbean or go to their website, I come here. Check out the Royal Caribbean blog podcasts on the website or on iTunes for free. Matt also does live Facebook and Periscope Q&A sessions daily where he always answers everyone's questions in real time. They're fun to listen to when you have a question or just want to get excited about your vacation.

This is excellent info! I have registered for cruise planner. Every thing was going well with that, I was taking my time and navigating, then apparently something changed and it has become impossible for me to access the page from safari on my mac :( I tried with google chrome and have had more success.

I have not registered for the crown anchor program. 

I think I am starting to get it. I was wondering about paying full price for the dining packages for my children, the website said you'd receive money back as an OBC which didn't interest me. I'm glad to know I can just add the kids onboard later. 

I am confused about how Sabor reservations are $22 but then the menu has a la cart prices... 

We are staying in two balcony rooms, which is another thing that bothered me. We have 5 kids. They said they didn't have any rooms on the Allure,  side by side with a conjoining door, that could sleep 4 and 4, or even 3 and 4. Not just not available, but it doesn't exist??????? We had to book a room for 2 and a room for 4. As you can see, the math doesn't add up but he said my three year old can sleep in a pack and play. Ok so that's not going to happen. So I guess we will have to share a bed with our 3 year old for the week, not optimal!!!

We don't have a travel agent, I booked over the phone because booking on the website, needing 2 rooms, was impossible and so difficult to navigate. 

We requested 5:30pm dining and were told it's waitlisted....it's 6 months out from the cruise....he also told me they just do that sometimes to dissuade people from booking early dining??? 

My biggest concerns are childcare for my then 3 year old (free? availability? location in relation to everything else?), the expanse of the ship, communication with my party (DCL give you wavphones/walkies in every room complementary), things to do on board (people are panning the "activities" that I've seen offered on the cruise planner like the prohibition party and the cupcake decorating), can my 3 year old swim in any of the pools if she is in a swimmie diaper (this is a pure speculation, if she's not trained by September I may have a breakdown)? 

I have read,( loosely quoting here) "If you cruise for the food, don't book RC; If you cruise for the entertainment, book RC." So how bad, truly bad, is the food in the main dining rooms? I thought this cruise was such a great deal $$$ but if we have to book speciality dining every night because the food is so terrible I would be looking at a $1,000 extra bump or more. 

Do you buy the dining packages (like the ultimate for 168) for your kids 12 and under, or just add each kid as you go when you arrive? Is this package really worth it? 

People say the buffet (I am understanding this is the Windjammer) is a hot mess and to avoid it at all costs. We are early risers (6-7am), would we be able to miss the crowds in the morning if we go there? 

I think my felling overwhelmed is because the DCL ships are so small and people obsessively record their trips. There is no guesswork. I can plan our entire vacation from my computer, day by day, meal by meal because everything is online from previous cruisers. I've struggled to figure out what the main dining even serves on the Allure! I can't find a menu for main dining!! 

I will go back, and read every single link that you all have provided for me. I already feel better just knowing SOMEONE knows these things and I can find out!!!! Thank you all!

More questions as I am reading the links:

1. My 3 year old cannot have milk, do they offer Almond or Soy milk complementary or at all?

2. Can you skip main dining and eat dinner at the Windjammer if you come in late from port or just don't have the energy?

3. Can I transfer my resi to a Travel agent at this time? Which travel agency do you recommend?

9 minutes ago, diesel2512 said:

This is excellent info! I have registered for cruise planner. Every thing was going well with that, I was taking my time and navigating, then apparently something changed and it has become impossible for me to access the page from safari on my mac :( I tried with google chrome and have had more success.

I have not registered for the crown anchor program. 

I think I am starting to get it. I was wondering about paying full price for the dining packages for my children, the website said you'd receive money back as an OBC which didn't interest me. I'm glad to know I can just add the kids onboard later. 

I am confused about how Sabor reservations are $22 but then the menu has a la cart prices... 

We are staying in two balcony rooms, which is another thing that bothered me. We have 5 kids. They said they didn't have any rooms on the Allure,  side by side with a conjoining door, that could sleep 4 and 4, or even 3 and 4. Not just not available, but it doesn't exist??????? We had to book a room for 2 and a room for 4. As you can see, the math doesn't add up but he said my three year old can sleep in a pack and play. Ok so that's not going to happen. So I guess we will have to share a bed with our 3 year old for the week, not optimal!!!

We don't have a travel agent, I booked over the phone because booking on the website, needing 2 rooms, was impossible and so difficult to navigate. 

We requested 5:30pm dining and were told it's waitlisted....it's 6 months out from the cruise....he also told me they just do that sometimes to dissuade people from booking early dining??? 

My biggest concerns are childcare for my then 3 year old (free? availability? location in relation to everything else?), the expanse of the ship, communication with my party (DCL give you wavphones/walkies in every room complementary), things to do on board (people are panning the "activities" that I've seen offered on the cruise planner like the prohibition party and the cupcake decorating), can my 3 year old swim in any of the pools if she is in a swimmie diaper (this is a pure speculation, if she's not trained by September I may have a breakdown)? 

I have read,( loosely quoting here) "If you cruise for the food, don't book RC; If you cruise for the entertainment, book RC." So how bad, truly bad, is the food in the main dining rooms? I thought this cruise was such a great deal $$$ but if we have to book speciality dining every night because the food is so terrible I would be looking at a $1,000 extra bump or more. 

Do you buy the dining packages (like the ultimate for 168) for your kids 12 and under, or just add each kid as you go when you arrive? Is this package really worth it? 

People say the buffet (I am understanding this is the Windjammer) is a hot mess and to avoid it at all costs. We are early risers (6-7am), would we be able to miss the crowds in the morning if we go there? 

I think my felling overwhelmed is because the DCL ships are so small and people obsessively record their trips. There is no guesswork. I can plan our entire vacation from my computer, day by day, meal by meal because everything is online from previous cruisers. I've struggled to figure out what the main dining even serves on the Allure! I can't find a menu for main dining!! 

I will go back, and read every single link that you all have provided for me. I already feel better just knowing SOMEONE knows these things and I can find out!!!! Thank you all!

Diesel, I don’t know where you heard that the mdr is a terrible experience. I find the food really good, occasionally I find dishes that are just “ok” but since the entire menu is included in your cruise fare I try a ton of different things that I wouldn’t necessarily try if I was at an expensive restaurant. The windjammer is good also with many many options, it can get crowded at peak times but that’s not 7am. It can be a madhouse around 9-10 in the morning. The specialty restaurants are an upgrade from the normal dining options but if they are 5 star I would say the mdr is a 4 star and the WJ is a 3.5 star

3 minutes ago, diesel2512 said:

More questions as I am reading the links:

1. My 3 year old cannot have milk, do they offer Almond or Soy milk complementary or at all?

2. Can you skip main dining and eat dinner at the Windjammer if you come in late from port or just don't have the energy?

3. Can I transfer my resi to a Travel agent at this time? Which travel agency do you recommend?

I can only answer question #2

You can eat at the windjammer for whichever meal you would like. No one is obligated to go to the mdr for any meals.

I think the MDR is fine.  If you are a food snob then you won’t like it.  Some dishes I love and some are ok but I haven’t found anything I hated.  Think of other times where you’ve been where they serve hundreds of people (weddings, conferences, etc). I think it’s a notch above that but not as good as a top restaurant.  As a family of 6, we eat in the MDR and are fine with it.  

There are only so many rooms that have connecting doors and they tend to sell out or at least 1 if the combo is taken so it is possible.  If you want to look at availability for rooms I find that Costco’s website gives you the easiest way to see available rooms.  You should have a couch so maybe the 3 yo can sleep on that.  

There are no swim diapers allowed in the main pools.  I think there is a small area for swim diapers but not sure if that’s on Allure.  

Adventure ocean is free for 3 and up however they do need to be potty trained.  I don’t know if they would allow a pull up.  

As for dining, my family likes my time dining.  Early is too early and late is too late.  

Relax it really is an easy process and it’s nice not to have to have your day planned out like Disney.  

13 minutes ago, diesel2512 said:

Is there a chat app for Allure cruise where my family can speak without internet plans? I have too many kids to pay for that many plans....

Not at this time.  Royal has stated this will be a feature of the new 'Royal' app that is available for Allure but to date that function hasn't been enabled in the app yet.  There is a media event in NYC this week and we are hoping more details about tech stuff like the chat function will be announced. 

You can do My Time Dining and make reservations (for times) ahead of the cruise.   6:30 one night, 7:00 another night, etc.   We like the MDR just fine.  I've occasionally had something that I didn't care for, but I just ordered something else.    As someone stated, if you're a gourmet or foodie, you might not think it's great but it's certainly not bad.  

Our first cruise ever was a Disney cruise.  We loved it.  I believe we took that one shortly before the prices of Disney cruises skyrocketed.  When we went to book another one, I got massive sticker shock and looked elsewhere.  Ended up doing Royal on Freedom and loved it too.  Just got back from cruise #3, which was on Harmony.  Freedom seemed a little bigger than Disney, but not crazy big.  Harmony was crazy big.  Going from Disney to Allure (which is the same size as Harmony), you are going to feel like Allure is twice as big as a Disney ship, and that can be overwhelming.  It is going to take you 4 days or so to figure out where everything is and how to get around, so don't freak about it on day one.  Just go with it.  My best advice to you is to plan ahead as much as you can, don't just wing it.  I would say make reservations for all the shows in the cruise planner, and then arrive about 20 mins early and wait for them to start letting people in.  This way you will get decent seats.  Stop back in your room after dinner to grab the next days cruise planner and read it over while you are sitting in your seat waiting for the show to start.  Do all of the shows, including any comedy shows, they are always good.  Transfer your reservation to a travel agent.  Like others here we use MEI, it is free and they know Royal well.  Don't worry about the dining wait list.  They tell everyone this far out that the early dinner session is on a waitlist.  Tell the travel agent you want the early seating and you will get it.  They will be able to help you with room assignment too.  I could have sworn Royal has rooms with pull down beds to sleep 3 people.  Regarding the food, I am not a hard core foodie, but I have eaten in my fair share of fine dining restaurants, and I will tell you the MDR on Royal is just fine, probably just a small step down from a fine dining restaurant.  Royal's specialty restaurants are great too, but they are not a requirement, especially if you don't want to spend the money.  One big difference on Royal compared to Disney is that Royal does not have the restaurants around the pools serving burgers and chicken fingers and what not during the day.  So if you want to eat lunch you will have to go to the Windjammer or to the various free restaurants on the ship (they have a hot dog place, a pizza place, etc - just not by the pools).  We normally do breakfast in the Windjammer early (before 8) and if it's a sea day then head to the pool to secure chairs (they go really fast on sea days) and we skip lunch, but with young kids I know they can't wait until dinner to eat. Royal does have the ice cream machines near the pools like Disney though.  If you do eat in the MDR, sign up for family dining.  They will serve your kids first and then the Adventure Ocean staff will come and pick your kids up from the MDR and take them to the kids clubs.  You can then finish your meal in peace!  My kids didn't love the kids clubs on Disney, but I can't get them to leave the ones on Royal.  That is subjective and every kid is different though.  Unlike Disney, you don't rotate dining restaurants, you will be at the same table in the same MDR every night.  The menu will have several staple items that you can get every night, and then several new items each night.  I usually have a hard time picking what to eat, there are a lot of good options.  

I have several friends that are Disney fanatics, and if that is you that is fine, but get it in your head going in that this is not Disney.  Royal has tons of stuff for kids, but it is not quite Disney level for kids.  In my opinion, while Disney excels in kids entertainment, they lack a little in adult entertainment.  Once the shows are over, I found the night life on a Disney ship to be kind of dull.  Royal's bars and clubs will be hopping every night until well after midnight.  Adventure Ocean is open until 2 am, and I know it sounds crazy, but most nights I go to get my kids around midnight and there are a ton of kids in there still, and my kids are mad that I am coming for them "so early".  I just find that for the money, Royal is a much better value for it's mix of kid and adult stuff - more of a vacation for everyone.  Royal is usually about half the cost of Disney, give or take.  Those ice cream Mickey bars are good, but they are not that good!  This blog is the only place you need to go for information on Royal.  If you can't find the answer here, then the answer doesn't exist!  So just post away, everyone here is super friendly.  Good luck, and enjoy your planning.            

Looks like lots of good answers so far but some random responses from me ...

A cruise is what you make it ...

If you are interested in the entertainment, keep your eye on the cruise calendar (once they fix it, they did a website update last week and hosed it up for everyone, not just you) and book things that interest you. If you aren't overly excited about the entertainment, don't stress about it. I definitely recommend the show(s) in the aquatheater on the back of the boat as they are something you aren't likely to see anywhere  else (Reminded me a bit of one Cirque du Soleil show out in Vegas, I think "O" but its been a lot of years since I saw it).

If fine dining is your thing then I would say the MDR is probably not where you want to be. The MDR quality varies from ship to ship, sailing to sailing and even server to server, so everyone is going to have a different experience and opinion but I would say from my perspective it has fallen off from where it was 5-6 years ago. Still a solid experience but no longer something special for me. Food quality is usually decent, service varies wildly but if you are just looking for a place to have a decent meal there is nothing wrong with it. With that said if you are looking for fine dining ,then take a long look at the specialty restaurants, obviously there is a cost (and not a small one if you are tacking on 5 kids) but the quality and consistency will be better than MDR. Windjammer is always an option if you aren't in the mood for MDR (either due to poor experience, or poor timing coming in from an excursion for example). There are also a couple of free venues that do more in the way of finger sandwiches/Pizza, drawing a blank on the exact names and locations for Allure right now but im pretty sure they are on the main promenade deck and have a pretty good range of opening hours.

Something is definitely "off" in regards to the rooming situation, probably it has to do with availability and there not being any connecting/adjoining rooms available for the date you have selected but there are definitely rooms that connect and rooms that sleep 3, etc. I would definitely hook up with a travel agent and have them do some behind the scenes sleuthing for you. Ultimately it may come down to location vs room layout. IE in order to give you 2 neighbouring cabins they had to go with a quad and a double and are assuming that you will be ok with your youngest sleeping in a pack'n'play or on the sofa or perhaps in a rollaway bed. The next best alternative may be a triple with a quad 20 doors away for example ... in which case you would need to consider whether that is better or worse. (Not sure if you gave ages for all the kids or not).

Royal's kids program is good, I don't recall specifics for the 3 year old age range, we started cruising when ours was about 6 or so. He loved it at that ago but outgrew it by about 11-12. I think mostly because we cruise a lot he got to know the ins and outs of the system better than the staff and got bored of it. The only "weird" thing to point out is that the kids clubs close at meal times fairly regularly so make sure you are watching the hours and know to go back and get the kids. IIRC Disney didn't do that but I could be wrong.

This is an area where a good travel agent can help a lot. They may simply be booked up by now. From time to time things open up, and a travel agent can help with that.

What they said on the phone is strange...One strategy is to take them to the Windjammer for their dinner and do a late seating with your spouse while your kids are in Adventure Ocean. You may be able to get it nailed down as you get closer, and you can always request it when you board. Just see the head waiter in the dining room.

I have found the food and service in the MDR on my sailings to be really good. Don't believe everything you read -- the comparison may not be apples to apples. There may be some nights when the menu isn't exactly what you like... Feel free to try more than one entree, for example. It's really a matter of what you like. Royal is in the process of changing their menu fleetwide. I recommend going to the home page of this site and searching "menu" to see recent posts about it. You can make a Royal Caribbean cruise "all inclusive" and not buy anything on board and have a great experience.

The dining package is a great deal compared to on board prices.

If you are an early riser, I wouldn't worry about it. On embarkation day check out Park Cafe or the Solarium Bistro for your first meal instead of the Windjammer...the majority of people are just finding their way around, and it can be a little flustering especially herding little ones around. My plan is to go to Giovanni's for lunch when we board in June. It will cost a little, but it will be less crowded than the Windjammer. By the time we are done eating, our cabins will be ready. We have adjoining Central Park balconies with a max of 2 in one and 4 in the other (there may be something to what you wrote earlier about what's available on your sailing).

1. My 3 year old cannot have milk, do they offer Almond or Soy milk complementary or at all? 2. Can you skip main dining and eat dinner at the Windjammer if you come in late from port or just don't have the energy?3. Can I transfer my resi to a Travel agent at this time? Which travel agency do you recommend?

1. Check with the staff at one of the beverage stations in the Windjammer or Cafe Promenade. They can hook you up.

2. Absolutely! There are lots of complimentary options!

3. If you booked less than 60 days ago, you can transfer to a travel agent. There is an online form on this site's main page to a travel agency that sponsors it, MEI Travel. Pretty much all of us who have been on a group cruise have used them and they are courteous, professional and quick to respond. I have used them for other sailings as well. My agent pulled a rabbit out of a hat a couple times when I didn't expect it. His name is Brock, but I have heard good things about the others too!

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:11 AM, diesel2512 said:

Food in general can be a pretty subjective thing. I recently returned from my first Carnival cruise and I thought the main dining room and buffet options were better on Royal Caribbean. On an Oasis class ship you will have even more complimentary options to choose from. Also keep in mind when you eat in the main dining room that you can order as many items as you want so if you don't like something don't be afraid to ask for something else. I have found that they are always incredibly accommodating and typically I order either two appetizers or two entrees at most meals because they're usually relatively small.

In terms of specialty dining I don't think it's necessary, but it definitely does add to the experience. My wife and I avoided it completely at first and always had great experiences in the MDR and Windjammer. Now we usually get a dining package for a few nights of the cruise and we have really enjoyed it, but we still enjoy the MDR and Windjammer as well. While there is no denying that the food in the specialty restaurants is superior in quality there are still tons of great complimentary options.

We just got back from our first time on the Allure and our first RC cruise (after sailing on Disney). We LOVED this cruise. The service was at least as good as Disney, if not better.

As far as dining, the Windjammer ended up being one of our favorite places to eat, breakfast, lunch or dinner. Breakfast on Port days was very busy, but if you are an early riser you won't have a problem. I also ate at the Park Cafe for breakfast (and lunch on embarkation day) and really liked that too.

We ate at Sabor, and I really don't think you need an advance reservation for that one, it never seemed to be very crowded. It was very good though!

And we also have 2 non-milk drinkers....be sure to speak to the manager at any of your restaurants. We found the Almond Milk, but missed out on many dessert opportunities because we waited until the end of the cruise to find the manager of the Windjammer. He was so accommodating, and brought my daughter a delicious piece of cake.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:11 AM, diesel2512 said:

Call RCL and see if you can make reservations for My Time Dining.  You can to choose a time for each day if you wish to make reservations.  I think you will still need to line-up to "check-in" for them to assign you a table. 

Awesome advice everyone! I have transferred my booking to Nancy at MEI, however there are apparently 2 Nancys at MEI so I just picked the one who responded to my inquiry! She is already very helpful and on top of everything I have asked her. My kids are getting excited about the cruise using the apps I downloaded. So no food by the pool, and no ice cream machines? Anything that you would say is a "must see" or a "must do" on Allure. We will see the shows for sure, but as far as activities I might have missed? Thank you again for all your help. I am feeling much less stressed now! 

29 minutes ago, diesel2512 said:

Awesome advice everyone! I have transferred my booking to Nancy at MEI, however there are apparently 2 Nancys at MEI so I just picked the one who responded to my inquiry! She is already very helpful and on top of everything I have asked her. My kids are getting excited about the cruise using the apps I downloaded. So no food by the pool, and no ice cream machines? Anything that you would say is a "must see" or a "must do" on Allure. We will see the shows for sure, but as far as activities I might have missed? Thank you again for all your help. I am feeling much less stressed now! 

So glad that you have found the help here that you need! 

As for must sees/do not including shows...breakfast in Central Park and nightly strolls there. Love it! Miss it.

7 hours ago, diesel2512 said:

Its been a few years since we did Allure, but there was a soft serve ice cream machine setup hidden in the wall by one of the pools IIRC. Seem to recall it had very limited hours of operation.

On 3/11/2018 at 9:09 PM, JBC said:

several friends that are Disney fanatics

That describes us, particularly my wife who definitely has the pixie dust syndrome.  With that said, I've never seriously contemplated a Disney cruise because of the ridiculous cost to go on those ships.  I'm sure they are fantastic, I'm sure the service is top notch, but Royal ships are beautiful and in general we've always had great service.  Maybe a less than stellar individual experience here and there (never out and out bad) but those have been few and far between.  I've had some so-so exchanges at Disney as well, so nothing is perfect.  I know Disney service and while it might be a touch better, it's maybe 10-15% better, not 2-3x the cost better.  

Planning?   Sailing on an Oasis class ship will clearly take some prior planning to maximize the experience.  But if you're a Disney fanatic, pre-planning a Disney trip is essential and way more involved than what I'm seeing for our Allure trip.  A couple of show reservations, an excursion or two, some dining reservations (if you go with My TIme Dining) and you're set. 

Bottom line:  you'll still have a great time and will likely be a convert.   I have friends who took their first cruise on a Disney ship to Alaska.  They loved cruising but due to cost, for their next cruise they booked a Freedom class ship but were very leery about it because "it isn't Disney"  Two other cruises later, booked on a third and they don't mention Disney cruises anymore.