Jungle ATV Adventure & Beach Break / Honduras

wishingdiane

I know nothing about this excursion so I cannot comment on where it may or may not go.  I will, say, however, that without knowing what you intend on doing or how you plan to get to the beach to meet your family, I would caution you about travel in Honduras.  I assume this is Roatan.  Once, and only once, we decided not to go to the resort side of the island.  Instead, we took an excursion that included a van ride to some other locations (we never got there, whatever they were) and I will tell you that it was the most uncomfortable and terrifying excursion we've ever been on.  It is stunning, to say the very least, how one area of this island can be so beautiful and so beautifully kept (the resort side) and the rest of the island to be in such disrepair.  There was literally no more than 5 feet of road in any direction on any road that did not have a pothole. ...and when I say pothole, I mean BIG, DEEP holes.  A number of times on that road we saw men with shovels, shoveling sand into those huge holes.  These were not public works employees, these were people who lived along those roads and if they did not shovel them, they weren't going to get filled (we asked the driver).   We couldn't go more than a few miles per hour b/c the roads were in SUCH bad shape.  We got stuck in the mud twice, at which point I told the driver that I had no interest in going any further.  To please turn around and take us back to the ship, which he did.  The explanation that we got was that the government is so corrupt that they do NOTHING for their citizens but put all of their resources into keeping up the resort area of the island.  For that reason, I have vowed NEVER to get off at Roatan again.

I will say, the resort side of the island is quite beautiful and the resorts there are very well maintained as are the roads going there from the port (and presumably, airport).  The water is wonderful and the beaches are beautiful but knowing that their people are living in such squalor has turned me off to it, entirely.