Oasis, not getting moved out of my handicap Balcony

Puthy

Good morning my cruising friends! I just booked an Oasis cruise (my 5th time on Oasis) Ocean view balcony. There were about 15 rooms available ALL OF THEM are handicap. I love the room we got, deck 14 close to elevator of the kids floor. (I have 3 year old twins that love playing with friends in Adventure's Ocean). I have heard horror stories that RCCL just takes your room, and moves you if they want your handicap room later.

Do you have any advice for me to not lose my room?

Welcome to the boards!

I just want to clarify what you are asking.  You are saying that you do not require an HA room but booked one?  Ok, no problem so far.  So occasionally HA rooms are booked up with people who do not require them, and then someone who does require one books and they have to reassign someone so the handicapped person can have an accessible room.  And your question is how can you stop a handicapped person from getting an accessible room, on account of you (someone who does not require an accessible room) booking it first?

I would say good luck with that, but I feel more appropriate would be "break a leg"! :8_laughing:

Are you yourself handicapped / specifically booked as a disabled person? If you are, then I'd be stunned if Royal moved you.

On the other hand, if you got that room simply because it was what was available but you are not yourself disabled in some way, and then a person who is disabled and needs a room of that type in order to make a booking, then I'm pretty sure that Royal is more or less obligated under the Americans with Disabilities Act to make that room available to them. They should relocate you to another stateroom that is of at least equivalent class (e.g., balcony room to a balcony room), and as long as they do that then I don't think there's really much you could do to stop it. It's possible they'd "sweeten the pot" by also throwing in some OBC, or possibly upgrading you if they didn't have any rooms of the same type left but had one in the next level up (e.g., balcony to JS), but I wouldn't count on anything extra like that.

But, IANAL and there may be others here with a little more experience (either personal or legal) who can clarify this better.

I am surprised that they allowed you to booked an accessible room if you are not claiming a disability.  I have gotten an accessible room before but that was way close to final payment when it was pretty clear that no one with an accessibility issue was going to need it.

If you ARE claiming a disability then they will not relocate you.  HOWEVER, if you claimed a disability and are not eligible for one there can be ramifications.  

But don't worry.  If you are eligible for the accessible room they will not remove you from it.

5 hours ago, Puthy said:

Good morning my cruising friends! I just booked an Oasis cruise (my 5th time on Oasis) Ocean view balcony. There were about 15 rooms available ALL OF THEM are handicap. I love the room we got, deck 14 close to elevator of the kids floor. (I have 3 year old twins that love playing with friends in Adventure's Ocean). I have heard horror stories that RCCL just takes your room, and moves you if they want your handicap room later.

Do you have any advice for me to not lose my room?

Hi, @Puthy. Back in 2011, I was assigned a handicap room on Allure, but I was moved like a week and a half prior. If I remember correctly, they moved me to a Balcony (same category) on the same deck. My elderly father struggled to get a handicapped room last year when he was on Allure, and had to do some serious maneuvering upon embarkation to get one. I feel like they do their best to assign them to those that need it - but as with anything, you might get different answers from different people!

Sounds like the only balcony cabins available are Accessible cabins ... in which case I would think that you should be as safe as you can be.

All new bookings from here would only be able to book Accessible cabins so they wouldn't need to bump you to free up an accessible cabin.

Its possible someone currently booking in a regular cabin might come to need an accessible cabin in which case you could get bumped I guess ...

I'd say it all comes down to how far out is this cruise?  If the only remaining inventory is accessible cabins, I'm guessing the poster is fairly close to sail date in which case I wouldn't be too worried.  I also thought I'd read that accessible cabins aren't released for general booking until they are fairly certain they won't be needed by someone with a handicap.

@Puthy I just had a thought...Did you book this sailing directly through Royal?  Because if not, then it might be worth it to give them a call to see what their actual inventory is.  Get it sorted out now before the last minute.  If you did book through Royal and they are telling you that all they have is accessible rooms then just go with flow.  I don't see them moving you to a lesser category.

3 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Did you book this sailing directly through Royal?  Because if not, then it might be worth it to give them a call to see what their actual inventory is.  Get it sorted out now before the last minute. 

Excellent idea! :27_sunglasses:

I'm sorry I was so confusing. I am not handicapped, no one in my family is. I used a travel agent website to book this cruise. It has 12 or 14 available balcony's. I didn't "choose" this room because its cheaper or better it was literally the only thing left. So I wasn't going to "not book" a balcony because these are "reserved" for handicapped people. 

I was more asking if anyone has experience before. If they got upgraded or downgraded if they got moved.

I have done the "next cruise" Many times on oasis and they 100% will book you a HA room if you aren't handicapped thru the company. 

54 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

Sounds like the only balcony cabins available are Accessible cabins ... in which case I would think that you should be as safe as you can be.

All new bookings from here would only be able to book Accessible cabins so they wouldn't need to bump you to free up an accessible cabin.

Its possible someone currently booking in a regular cabin might come to need an accessible cabin in which case you could get bumped I guess ...

You are the only person to 100% get what I"m saying.  The cruise is early May, so final payment is now. So this isn't me stealing a room out for a cruise 2 years out. This was literally the only availability they had. It's actually a balcony with a smaller outside balcony. I would obviously rather have a non-HA room with the normal balcony. 

7 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

@Puthy I just had a thought...Did you book this sailing directly through Royal?  Because if not, then it might be worth it to give them a call to see what their actual inventory is.  Get it sorted out now before the last minute.  If you did book through Royal and they are telling you that all they have is accessible rooms then just go with flow.  I don't see them moving you to a lesser category.

Yes i verified this was the only inventory available, the cruise is early May on Oasis of the Seas. 

21 minutes ago, Puthy said:

I'm sorry I was so confusing. I am not handicapped, no one in my family is. I used a travel agent website to book this cruise. It has 12 or 14 available balcony's. I didn't "choose" this room because its cheaper or better it was literally the only thing left. So I wasn't going to "not book" a balcony because these are "reserved" for handicapped people. 

I was more asking if anyone has experience before. If they got upgraded or downgraded if they got moved.

I have done the "next cruise" Many times on oasis and they 100% will book you a HA room if you aren't handicapped thru the company. 

If they allowed you to book an accessible room, then these rooms have now been put into "general inventory" which means that anyone can book it.  Once that occurs, it would take an extraordinary circumstance for them to move you to a different room.  I have done this once and everything was fine.  Once they put the cabin into general inventory, it is available for anyone to book.

3 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

If they allowed you to book an accessible room, then these rooms have now been put into "general inventory" which means that anyone can book it.  Once that occurs, it would take an extraordinary circumstance for them to move you to a different room.  I have done this once and everything was fine.  Once they put the cabin into general inventory, it is available for anyone to book.

You're so awesome! Thanks for the response! That takes a lot of pressure off. 

Now for a complete off topic question. Does RCCL ever do anything where you can get more than 2X points? (or accrue points faster?). We have done 5 RCCL cruises the last couple years and suites a few times so we are close to being Emerald. Through googling, I've seen where in the past they have done extra points as an incentive to book?