Allure rerouted due to weather

Hey all,

I'm on the Allure and they just announced an itinerary change for this sailing.  Winds were too high to make port in Nassau so they diverted North while (I assume) they made alternate arrangements, and now we're heading to San Juan which was not previously on the itinerary.  I couldn't quite make out what all the captain said over the intercom, so I'm not sure what the rest of the itinerary is going to be.

We were supposed to be in St. Thomas Wednesday and then St. Maarten Thursday, but not sure what the plan is now.  I'll be bummed if we skip St. Maarten since I was looking forward to Captain Bob's tour, but the weather does what it does.  Safety first.

I'll update once I get confirmation on the rest of the agenda.

Update: Here's the new itinerary.  St. Maarten is skipped. =(

*sad trombone*

IMG_20180305_165644.jpg

23 minutes ago, Orange Crush said:

now we're heading to San Juan

I just saw on Twitter that Puerto Rico has 30 ft waves, so hoping they stop and Captain Harley for the first time in 8 years couldn't dock in Labadee the swells were so bad. How are the waters now where you are?

16 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

I just saw on Twitter that Puerto Rico has 30 ft waves, so hoping they stop and Captain Harley for the first time in 8 years couldn't dock in Labadee the swells were so bad. How are the waters now where you are?

Not bad while the ship is moving.  But we were rocking and rolling this morning while they were waiting to assess the situation at Nassau.  Kinda impressive for a ship this huge!

It's nice now, but pretty windy.

11 minutes ago, rjac said:

Yeah, Nassau sucks!

Idk. I don't really mind Nassau... I feel like it has a worse rep than it deserves. I like the brewery by the port and looking forward to going back for a beer (or three) and an order of conch fritters in October. Also think I might make the walk down to Junkanoo to finally visit the Tiki Bikini Hut I keep hearing about. The walk to John Watlings is kinda fun, too. 

I am with KLA....I enjoy Nassau. been there MANY times and look forward to it each time. lots to do and see and its pretty cheap for exploring on your own. I am sure San Juan is much more pretty and historical for sure, but I have no issues with Nassau at all.

@KLAconQueso......sorry you waited so long for Junkanoo beach..its all been changed..not the same at all. No more Tiki Bikini Hut and no more cheap drinks or shots etc. Its now fancy with flat screen tvs and expensive drinks. I was very disappointed when I was there in Jan....:(

Nassau is fine, but we've just been there a lot.  Our biggest disappointment over missing it was we were hoping to thin out the crowds on the ship for a while.  At most, we were going to twirl up to Senior Frogs for a slushy rum thing, as is tradition, and then go back to the boat to enjoy the lack of crowds.

I still haven't checked the TV for the official new itinerary, but scuttlebutt on the pool deck is that we are skipping St. Maarten :61_sob: and heading back to Nassau on Friday, so maybe we'll get an opportunity to enjoy OUR boat without all these OTHER people!

1 hour ago, Pipedream said:

We're on the Oasis next weekend - are the seas rough from the storms up north?  It is possible everything will be calm within a week?  We have someone who has a tender belly when things start rocking and rolling :-)

The waves are from last weekends storm not the one that is about to hit.  That storm is still spinning off the north east coast so is still generating waves.  The waves that this upcoming storm may or may not bring haven't happened yet.  The bottom line is that the cruise line will do everything possible to make it a pleasant cruise but there is only so much they can control.  I would be packing everything available for motion sickness (bands, ginger, dramamine etc).

19 hours ago, KLAconQueso said:

Idk. I don't really mind Nassau... I feel like it has a worse rep than it deserves. I like the brewery by the port and looking forward to going back for a beer (or three) and an order of conch fritters in October. Also think I might make the walk down to Junkanoo to finally visit the Tiki Bikini Hut I keep hearing about. The walk to John Watlings is kinda fun, too. 

I agree.  I can find enjoyment in Nassau. It may not be my favorite port of call, but I feel it's also not the Vale of Shadows some make it out to be.