Norwegian for the first time

Well, I never thought that I would cruise anything other than RCI; however, my daughter and SNL were looking at our 2019 family vacation and they ran across a good deal on Norwegian.  Only $1.00 non-refundable deposit. So the booked us 4 spa mini-suites for a total of $8.  We are on the Gateway out of New Orleans for November 2019.  Kids sale free (only paying for taxes and gratuities).  So here is to trying new things :15_yum:

I've sailed on NCL a few times and have enjoyed those cruises very much. To be completely honest, I don't find there to be that much difference between NCL and Royal.  I didn't realize that Getaway had moved to NO !  Wasn't that one in NYC or was that the Breakaway ?  I can't keep those 2 straight.  One was in NYC and the other was in FLL, I think.

One thing's for sure...you can't beat the deposit amounts !

42 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Wasn't that one in NYC or was that the Breakaway ?  I can't keep those 2 straight.  One was in NYC and the other was in FLL, I think.

You're correct - we were on the Breakaway out of NYC in late 2015.  I agree, it was a very similar experience to Royal, but I did miss the familiarity of the venues that are spread across Royal's fleet - Where's my Schooner bar!!  

I hadn't heard that the Getaway moved from Miami either - interesting.  I know that the Getaway was pretty Florida themed as the Breakaway had a NYC vibe to it.

2 hours ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

One thing's for sure...you can't beat the deposit amounts !

I booked on Bliss in Mini-Suite (no Haven for this girl) and it's less than any RC or Celebrity, having said that, I'm still going forward with RC! (unless the price drops more) I just wanted to book a cruise and leave $2.00 down! LOL

Princess sometimes runs $1 deposits, too. We have a cruise booked to New Zealand and they let us keep the $1 deposit even after rebooking when the fare dropped and included onboard credit and gratuities. 

As @WAAAYTOOO says, I find most of the mainstream cruise lines to be more alike than different and have lately been letting the itinerary decide. Royal is a good fit for us and the mix of passengers is more to my liking, but where the ship guess is most important to us at this time in our lives. Thus, we'll be on Holland America next, followed by Princess, and Celebrity before getting back to Royal. 

• 2 weeks later...

I looked at it but having a terrible cruise with NCL before (yes an older ship but had supposedly had a referb just before should have been in its prime) I don't think we will return anytime soon. Maybe one day we will try a newer ship but the food was terrible and it just was not Royal. So back to Royal we went and have a few more planned (or at least keeping an eye on).