Brilliance 3/3/18

RestingBird

Ever wondered where the geographical center of Canada is?  I haven't either.  But, it's 5 O'clock in the morning there (Baker Lake, if curious minds are wondering).  However, that's cold, and I don't like cold.  I could try jumping ahead to 5pm, and I'd hit Bishkek, in Kyrgyzstan.  I'd rather not be there at 5pm, considering I only just found out it's a place (thanks World Book Encyclopedia).  It's 6am for me, and I just punched out from work, marking the beginning of this year's first week of vacation.  Now, we already know it's 5 O'clock somewhere, but I have a few hours until I can reach that 5 O'clock state of mind.

With a 1yr old we didn't want too many days on board our first cruise with him.  4 just seemed too short, and for only a few $'s more we could do 5.  We've been on 4 cruises, and we're ready to take it to the next level...you guessed it...Platinum!!!  But alas, those 4 or 5 nights just wouldn't get us there.  But wait!  RC invented Junior Suites (and the double C&A points that come with them), hooray!  This will be a good way to see what kind of space we need while traveling with a kid, and push us over that threshold into our next precious metal (or whatever Platinum is).

My wife hates driving, and we didn't want to spend the money to fly to a cruise port, so for us that narrowed it down to Port Canaveral.  However, with only Oasis (7nights and too much mulah this time around), and Majesty (4 nights and small) available from said port, I moved on to the next logical choice, Tampa.  Aforementioned wife has family in the Tampa Bay area and has made the drive an infinite number of times, thus helping her hate of driving, due to familiarity (I'll be sleeping for the ride over).  Tampa has Rhapsody doing 7 nighters, and Brilliance doing 4s and 5ers...boom!  So what's inside the little envelope?  Brilliance, out of Tampa, with the lava flow.  We'll be parking at my sister-in-law's, and she'll drop us off at the port.  Her sister (my other sister-in-law) will be picking us up.

Now, back to that state of mind...  With this being our first cruise with a child we plan on having no plans.  Work and life have been going well these last 4 months, but we're still ready to relax, so if there's a plan, that's it.  Our beautiful transport will be stopping in Cozumel, and Grand Cayman.  We've been to both islands once, with Freedom, so we may get off the boatship, or we may not.  My only solid wishes for the week are to find the elusive honeystung chicken, shake Michael Poole's hand, try sushi/Izumi for the first time, and take advantage of the rock climbing wall.

Nothing says "Come to me tropical vacation!" more than a heavy, dairy-chocolate-Deep Eddy infused beverage, so hopefully one of the drink stations will be able to make me one; but, if not, maybe I'll go back to that lava flow...

We don't purchase Voom, so I can't say this is a live blog, but I'll see if I can't take some notes throughout the week and post them right here, on RoyalCaribbeanBlogDotCom, upon our return.  Until next time, I'm RestingBirds, and we'll talk again soon.

"Gonna put the world away for a minute, pretend I don't live in it..."