Arrival Appointment

Hi all,

I'm sailing out on the Allure in two days!  When I did the online checkin however, it only offered me arrival appointment time slots waaaaaay late in the afternoon (2:30 or 3:30!).

I was planning to get to the port early, what happens if I show up at 10:30am?  Are they going to let me on, or make me wait?

Thanks!

-Nick

They let me on just fine, not a word was said about the assigned time.

However, I learned a few important lessons this morning:

1. Port Canaveral is better than Port Everglades

2. Port Everglades has terrible signage

3. Don't ask the guards where to go to park.  They don't know and will lie to you.

4. It is possible to be too early to the port

5. If you're early and there is a ridiculous traffic jam at the terminal entrance, you are too early.  This is the mass exodus from the last group of people going home.  Go away and waste some time.  You don't want to be in this line.

6. Everyone seemed really concerned that I might be an Uber driver for some reason

18 hours ago, Orange Crush said:

They let me on just fine, not a word was said about the assigned time.

However, I learned a few important lessons this morning:

1. Port Canaveral is better than Port Everglades

2. Port Everglades has terrible signage

3. Don't ask the guards where to go to park.  They don't know and will lie to you.

4. It is possible to be too early to the port

5. If you're early and there is a ridiculous traffic jam at the terminal entrance, you are too early.  This is the mass exodus from the last group of people going home.  Go away and waste some time.  You don't want to be in this line.

6. Everyone seemed really concerned that I might be an Uber driver for some reason

1. How so? There seems to be much more of a convenience factor around Port Everglades with all the hotels and dining (not to mention close proximity to beach). Also, keep in mind Port Everglades is a much busier cruise port then Canaveral (I believe 2nd busiest behind Miami). There’s gonna be chaos! 

2. There’s (3) entry points to the cruise port and info is very widely available both on this forum and with a google search.

3. The guards are probably getting that question 8,000 times a day & maybe you asked the wrong guard that was having a bad day. With that being said, you can’t miss the Allure berth & parking its fairly obvious as it’s in your face. There are plenty of Sheriffs pointing and directing traffic. I find it to flow well considering the chaos.

4. The “sweet spot” time slot has been discussed on this forum a lot. You should arrive to Port Everglades between 10:30am - 11:00am. Any earlier or later and your not gonna be happy. 

5. (See # 4)

6. This one is just odd unless you were driving in the designated taxi lane with your hotel parking slip on your dashboard. Very odd.

1. Matter of preference.  I'm sure Port Everglades is indeed much busier than Port Canaveral and that's probably why my experience at Canaveral was nicer.

2. Getting in to the port wasn't a problem, it was the terminal.  I can't  do a Google search or review this forum while driving, but thanks for the suggestion.  Although, I had already read that the process was to drop of luggage curbside and then go park.  The issue was they had signs for Terminal 18 Parking with "lot full" in front of them and guards standing watch.  When we got there at 10:45, the main terminal entrance was a traffic jam of many cabs, hotel shuttles and other vehicles so my thought was to find out if I could park first and check bags second, not realizing the main entrance was the only allowed way in to that lot.

3. Asked two separate ones, actually.  And if they get asked that question 8,000 times a day, one would think they'd know the correct answer.  They directed me to random garages.  It was a garage attendant that actually told me to just head back to the main terminal entrance and the parking lot was one and the same.

4. I'm well aware of the sweet spot time, See 2, or my original post at the top of the thread where I said I was aiming for 10:30.  Got there at 10:45.  Seems they were a bit later with disembarking.  Maybe there was a customs delay.  By 11:15, it had cleared out and the rest was easy breezy post-wild-goose-chase.

5. It's best to get out of the way of people trying to leave.  Lining up at the entrance just adds to the jam.  People seem to do this a lot at elevators too.

6.  Floridian, drove from Orlando.  Got asked three times if I was an Uber driver.  I figure they are trying to crack down on Uber as some sort of fee/revenue situation versus the taxi companies. @rjac is probably right and they were suspicious of my local license plate.

15 minutes ago, twangster said:

I thought ride sharing companies were allowed to drop off at the terminal in Port Canaveral.  Is that no longer the case?  

I sailed out of Port Everglades.  I'm not aware of any ride share restrictions at Canaveral, though I've never tried to use one there.  But the folks at Port Everglades sure seemed touchy about the subject!

Just now, Orange Crush said:

I sailed out of Port Everglades.  I'm not aware of any ride share restrictions at Canaveral, though I've never tried to use one there.  But the folks at Port Everglades sure seemed touchy about the subject!

Doh!  I missed that, for some reason.  I've taken ride share into PEV several times.  They make the driver pull up the waybill in the app. No additional fees.  I think because PEV is also a major tanker facility receiving oil and gas they are super sensitive about port security.  A lot of other cruise ports any one can drive right up to the terminal.  Not so at PEV, you have to be a cruise passenger.