Drone shots of Harmony

Just wanted to share some drone shots I took from my backyard a few Sat’s ago. It’s really amazing when all the ships leave the port on their way out you get some great photo ops. She really is massive, my drone huffs & puffs to cover the distance. Can’t wait to board her again soon as she’s an amazing ship! Enjoy. 

1B08AFE1-E806-422D-9F73-7B5ED246F238.jpeg

934CF1C3-20A5-40DC-ADA4-CC1D3ADFA639.jpeg

B8ED818F-C1A4-4AF2-8FA1-FAABA7BA7FFF.jpeg

AF7F57E8-1F25-4FBD-BEF3-51EF2A7FEC7F.jpeg

6A98DC75-C8FC-4B69-8078-866BA0C16ABB.jpeg

6AA591F9-51BE-4CB5-9FF4-67074C57AC51.jpeg

31367B00-5437-475A-81E0-699053878E0A.jpeg

17 minutes ago, Matt said:

Wow, incredible.

I'm surprised you're able to drone in Port Everglades, considering the airport is like 20 feet away.

FAA: "Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination"

I believe Port Everglades It's less than 5 miles from the Airport

16 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

FAA: "Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to both the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination"

I was going to buy a drone and then started reading all the regulations and opted to not get it because of all the rules and whatnot. 

17 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

I believe Port Everglades It's less than 5 miles from the Airport

I take off from my backyard. Never had an issue with anyone. I fly right over the coast guard and they see me land at my house. No problem.

20 minutes ago, cruiselife said:

These are some awesome pictures. What kind of drone do you have and how does it perform with video footage?

I have a DJI Mavic Pro. Video is 4K and superb. I normally take video when the ships leave past my house and it comes out crystal clear. 

Tony, great pictures, Harmony is my favorite O class ship, don't want to high jack your thread but thought I would add some pictures of her leaving port, October 2017, my wife and I walked up on the 17th street bridge and waited for her to leave, we were leaving on Allure the next day. I just have a small Nikon so the quality is not near what it is from your drone.

DSC02523.JPG

DSC02526.JPG

DSC02527.JPG

DSC02529.JPG

DSC02534.JPG

24 minutes ago, carlosalonsor said:

You're right.

Checking the map seems that you are just outside of the restricted zone. Be careful. 

Great shots!

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0910(1).jpg

I'd still be curious of Royal's reaction...I can't imagine they're terribly thrilled about a random UAV flying around their ship and the people on it. Just a guess.

5 hours ago, Matt said:

I was going to buy a drone and then started reading all the regulations and opted to not get it because of all the rules and whatnot. 

It's fun! But yes, it's very regulated by the FAA

For a beginner I would recommend to buy a Mavic Air! Go for it!

3 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

I'd still be curious of Royal's reaction...I can't imagine they're terribly thrilled about a random UAV flying around their ship and the people on it. Just a guess.

I guess that as you state, they wouldn't be thrilled. 

I suppose that as long as you don't fly right above the ship and directly over people you should be out of trouble. 

1 minute ago, carlosalonsor said:

I guess that as you state, they wouldn't be thrilled. 

I suppose that as long as you don't fly right above the ship and directly over people you should be out of trouble. 

Yes, but it's clear some of those pictures were above the ship.

Not trying to be Negative Nancy, just pointing out some realities.

3 minutes ago, Zacharius said:

Next time your on a ship, go out on your balcony and just look out when it’s leaving. You will notice multiple drones flying in close proximity to the ship when it is leaving. It’s 2018, anyone who enjoys great photo and video opprutunities has a drone. I don’t really think Royal Caribbean has a say as to where a drone can fly as long as it’s not originating from one of their ships. In my case, I fly it from my house with near zero concern as to what Royal Caribbean thinks. 

2 hours ago, bobroo said:

One thing these photos reveal is that Harmony still has problems with those stupid plastic sheets above the Solarium. Warranty or no warranty, those things have got to go! C'mon Royal!

Symphony went with glass.  Part of the additional 1,500 tons.    I'm sure in the 1st dry dock the vinyl or plastic will go but I'm not sure they are going to take the ship out of service just to replace them. 

6 hours ago, bobroo said:

One thing these photos reveal is that Harmony still has problems with those stupid plastic sheets above the Solarium. Warranty or no warranty, those things have got to go! C'mon Royal!

We sailed on Harmony on her 4th full voyage in the Med in 2016, I can't remember the exact circumstances, I think one of the crew told me they had a little bit of rough weather coming down from Southampton to Barcelona, but the plastic covers in the Solarium were already ripped and falling apart, they said they would replace them but that yes, eventually they realized that they would have to be replaced by glass.