Portofino or Giovanni's... although different which Italian do you prefer and why

DAVE(Darkcabbie)

On our last time on Freedom of the Seas in February, I came away preferring Portofinos.  Both restaurants are very good but I just liked the food selection a little but more at Portofinos.

That being said, I don't think Chops is a bad choice either.

So easy solution is.... eat at both! :)

I Haven't tried either yet as the Independence will be our first RC cruise. We was looking forward to trying Portofino but after her refurb it looks like it's been replaced by Giovanni's. Have we now missed out on a good restaurant or is Giovanni's just as nice.

Independence will be your first Royal Caribbean cruise? Have you been on any other cruise line? I think you're in for a treat! Enjoy!

Portofino has the most amazing tiramisu that comes in a edible chocolate cup and a shot of bailey's and something else. It is so good. I did not eat at Giovanni's Table while on Oasis but I did see their dessert cart. OMG! The tiramisu at Giovanni's is in this huge serving dish and they scoop it out on a plate for you. I could have just grabbed it and ran back to my stateroom with the whole serving dish!  :ph34r:

Portofino has the most amazing tiramisu that comes in a edible chocolate cup and a shot of bailey's and something else. It is so good. I did not eat at Giovanni's Table while on Oasis but I did see their dessert cart. OMG! The tiramisu at Giovanni's is in this huge serving dish and they scoop it out on a plate for you. I could have just grabbed it and ran back to my stateroom with the whole serving dish!  :ph34r:

I really liked Giovanni's on Oasis.  Frankly, same basic food as Portofino. The big difference is Giovanni's is family style. Otherwise not too different

Independence will be your first Royal Caribbean cruise? Have you been on any other cruise line? I think you're in for a treat! Enjoy!

Yes we started cruising in 2001 and have sailed with Carnival & P&O (never again with P&O they were terrible) mainly around the Caribbean. So now we are trying and really looking forward to RC and infact we are already considering 2 more with RC that we have our eye on from Southampton.

Trust me if they bring a dish full of tiramisu near us its ours, my wife has a black belt in FOODJITSU and her Jedi mind tricks are better than Obi Wan Kenobi . :)

Yes we started cruising in 2001 and have sailed with Carnival & P&O (never again with P&O they were terrible) mainly around the Caribbean. So now we are trying and really looking forward to RC and infact we are already considering 2 more with RC that we have our eye on from Southampton.

Trust me if they bring a dish full of tiramisu near us its ours, my wife has a black belt in FOODJITSU and her Jedi mind tricks are better than Obi Wan Kenobi . :)

Haha that is great! Ok, so that means you have to eat at Giovanni's Table so you can try the tiramisu. I will say, the tiramisu in the main dining room, which is traditionally served on Italian night (don't remember what the name for that night is on the menu - every night's menu has a different name to it) is pretty good too!

OK, knock it off with the dessert descriptions-- next cruise is thirty days away & that's a long time for your mouth to water!

LOL Sorry Don. I'm just passionate about cruising and dessert!  ;) What ship are you going on next?

Nice! I hope you come to enjoy cruising with Royal Caribbean as much as the rest of us.  For me, I really love the balance Royal Caribbean offers of good prices and good service.

Haha that is great! Ok, so that means you have to eat at Giovanni's Table so you can try the tiramisu. I will say, the tiramisu in the main dining room, which is traditionally served on Italian night (don't remember what the name for that night is on the menu - every night's menu has a different name to it) is pretty good too!

LOL Sorry Don. I'm just passionate about cruising and dessert!  ;) What ship are you going on next?

We're doing NE/Canada with a RCI competitor in Oct, & then back to RCI Serenade out of Barcelona May 2014 for our 1st Med trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Under 3 weeks till I hit Giovanni's on the independence and I seem to remember that Tyler mentioned that they bring it in a huge serving dish so I have made an executive decision , LEAVE THE DISH ON THE TABLE AND BRING ME A SPOON :) .

Ok here you go DARKCABBIE. This is the dessert cart on Oasis. I don't know if it will be the same setup on Independence. This cart sits (protected) out in the open when you walk in the door next to the large Prosciutto slicer. Note the rather large dish of tiramisu!  ;)

Giovannis_dessert_cart-300x225.jpg