Spa Disappointment!

doctornurse

I recently went on a five night cruise in the Western Caribbean. I love going to the spa and I was fortunate enough to find an amazing therapist named Carol. My husband and I booked a treatment everyday for a total of five and purchased $450 worth of products.

There was a discount available of 10% off the first service, 20% off the second service, and 30% off of the third one. When I reviewed my bill after dinner on the last night I found that none of the discounts were applied to any of my services. Guest services was no help and claimed I would have to contact the spa manager in the morning (because I have nothing better to do the morning we get off the boat, lol.) We typically are amongst the first to get off the ship and we always carry our bags off ourselves. Any seasoned cruiser understands the valuable time this saves! We were unable to do this on this particular occasion because we had to wait for the spa to open.

At 7 AM we spoke with the assistant manager and explained the situation. We were told that he would apply the discounts as soon as we got off the phone and he apologized. We went to customer service to print a copy of our final bill only to find none of the discounts promised were applied. Of course they could not help us at customer service, so we had to call the spa directly. We eventually got on the phone with the spa manager "Boris." He claimed he knew nothing about our situation and there was nothing he could do it this time because billing for the spa was "closed." We were given a generic email address (to a third party company who are the onboard operators of the spa) and told to write and explain why we feel we are entitled to the discounts. I was told they typically respond with a decision in 4 to 6 weeks! This entire process took us almost 2 hours and ended with no resolution.

We also had to exit the ship with thousands of other travelers and it took us over two hours to do so. What a nightmare. 

According to my calculations, we are owed over $400 and I am going to have to wait for their decision??? I cannot tell you how disappointed I am in this process. It is unbelievable that I am responsible for chasing down money that is owed to me because of their error. This may be the worst customer service experience I have ever had.

I am a long time Royal Caribbean traveler and I have been fiercely loyal to this cruise line. This entire situation has me rethinking my continued travels with them.

Perhaps it's time to try something new!?!?

Sorry to hear about your plight... It was indeed an awful experience for you.

I think the discount would be reflected in the bill when they charge against your card.

I think you should have checked the bill and clarify any discrepancies before signing off on the bill.

And also, seems like the guest services are behaving in a very inflexible manner.

There is no need to push you around between spa and guest services back and forth.

Sorry for it , its sound like a very bad experience.

I see here few issues that RC could handle it better :

First , the guest service should not ask you to handle it directly with the SPA they should have handle it themselves .

We should not care if the SPA is an external company , for us the customers there is one focal point RC.

The second thing that could have been better is the SPA management who should find a way to give the discount .

I hope you wrote about the incident in the online review which you should get from RC , Maybe you should also call them directly and discuss it.

By the way this is why almost everyday I am looking on my online bill on the TV to find any issues (and many time you find , like wrong charge from a bar while you have drinking package and other stuff). once I find such issue I try to close it ASAP with the guest services while there are still no lines.

I hope your next experience will be much better,

Again?! This is the fifth time I heard about the spa's little discount scam from several people. Sorry you had to go through this. The solution to your problen is to dispute all the charges from your credit card and RCCL will move heaven and earth to resolve it quickly. This also turns the burden of proof on RCCL and they really dont like that. Others who have experienced similar scams have lessened their cruises with RCCL and went elsewhere. Shame on RCCL. Doesnt give RCCL a very good reputation.

I'm sorry to hear of this. My wife goes to the spa onboard usually once per cruise and enjoys it immensely.

I'm not sure what can be done at this point other than disputing the credit card charges.  You could contact Steiner, who is the company that staffs the Vitality Spa.  https://www.steinerleisure.com/main/Contactus.aspx

In the future, at the conclusion of any spa treatment, you should get a receipt.  That is when you need to ensure the charges match up with what you expect.  Moreover, review your SeaPass charges regularly, and ideally, before the last evening of the cruise.