I need to pick your brains..

Suzanne

We will be sailing on Adventure of the Seas in May. We leave from San Juan and end in New York... Before I spend hours on the phone with RCCL

My question is this...   We will be spending 1 night after our cruise in New York. My husband booked us a hotel way over by LaGuardia.

if we pay for the transfer, can RCCL send our big luggage over to the airport if the flight isn't until the next day? 

Im trying to prevent having to leave the port terminal, go all the way over by LaGuardia to drop luggage at the hotel and then go back over to Manhattan to sightsee. Especially since a taxi there is over $100! ?

before you ask...the Hubs won't rebook closer to the sights. Major point of aggravation for me.  HELP ME PLEASE!!

HI Suzanne, I"m trying to figure out the itinerary. You dock in Bayonne, RCCL provides a transfer to where in NYC? To Laguardia? What day of the week  do you dock? These are factors you need to consider.  If you are docking midweek, whew traffic is a nightmare getting to Laguardia, then going back to Manhattan?? I'm just trying to help you out if he won't change the hotel.

Can you change your flights from Newark perhaps? Then you you only dealing with a quick Uber to the hotel about $15.00, and lots of transporation available to get into NYC?

Let me know. Trying to help!! LOL

55 minutes ago, Suzanne said:

Im trying to prevent having to leave the port terminal, go all the way over by LaGuardia to drop luggage at the hotel and then go back over to Manhattan to sightsee. Especially since a taxi there is over $100! ?

You could do that, but after dropping luggage off, take the subway back to Manhattan. Far more affordable option than a taxi.

My only other thought was to drop luggage off at a hotel in Manhattan and tip the bellman to hold it. 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

My only other thought was to drop luggage off at a hotel in Manhattan and tip the bellman to hold it. 

I was going to suggest that since you're docking in Bayonne, do what Matt suggested with a hotel in the Newark area. Lots of affordable subway and bus transportation to Manhattan from Newark, and then you just need a short Lyft over to the hotel from the port. When you're done you could pop back over to Newark, get your luggage, and then get another Lyft or taxi to the hotel by LaGuardia. Do it late enough at night and it might even be a reasonably quick ride.

I have to ask, why LaGuardia instead of JFK or Newark International? LaGuardia has the worst rep out of all three. :46_confounded:

I fly out of Laguardia a few times a year, it's getting better lately  - right now it's heavily under construction though.

I get why your husband booked the hotel around there, it's way cheaper than the city.

I would say do not waste your money using a taxi or Uber to get to the city. Use the LIRR (railroad) or the subway - but buy tickets before you board. It's not exactly cheap but it's not as pricey as a taxi or Uber/Lyft. If money isn't a problem use Lyft or Uber but keep in mind the day of the week it is or the time of day. Traffic is a mess all of the time, absolute worst during rush hours. Off hours and weekends you can be okay. I live about a half hour from LaGuardia but always give myself over an hour to get there.

I can sorta help with train stuff, I know the LIRR, the subway I could ask someone.

8 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I was going to suggest that since you're docking in Bayonne, do what Matt suggested with a hotel in the Newark area. Lots of affordable subway and bus transportation to Manhattan from Newark, and then you just need a short Lyft over to the hotel from the port. When you're done you could pop back over to Newark, get your luggage, and then get another Lyft or taxi to the hotel by LaGuardia. Do it late enough at night and it might even be a reasonably quick ride.

I have to ask, why LaGuardia instead of JFK or Newark International? LaGuardia has the worst rep out of all three. :46_confounded:

We are flying on Southwest,  they use La Guardia to get to Houston Hobby

17 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I am stuck on the part of the question where you want to send your luggage to the airport even though your flight is not until the next day.

Will Royal do that ?  I didn't think they would....

Isn't this what @WhiteSoxFan mentioned in another thread?  That they wouldn't take the bags if you arrived too early prior to your flight?

Only the luggage valet would work with RCCL, and as far as I know that is at very limited airports and cruise ports, I don't think NJ is part of that.

I've only done this once, one time when my wife bought WAY to much stuff, but you can take your luggage to Fed-X and ship it back and not worry, extra charge I know. Plus I did it from Nashville and not NJ.