Cruising solo

HLWIser

Hello hello! I searched the old topics/ replies for solo travel but wanted to see if anyone else had any input. I work at the family business and am planning on making my exit soon as it causes me a lot of stress. I'm thinking about cruising solo as a celebration and looking at 4-6 night bookings this year on ships that have studio interiors. It doesn't seem to bring the cost down much as solo travel can be expensive but it does help save a bit.

I'm 25, female, and enjoy traveling alone while meeting new people.

What are the pros/ cons of solo travel? Thoughts on best ships or itineraries for this? I know there's a Solo Travelers get-together most nights, and maybe some other events. I understand the safety issues of going into port alone, walking around town alone, etc, and plan to be smart and avoid a lot of that.

I would say that @twangster and @monctonguy are your best bets on this topic, maybe also @firegal2539 IIRC; from what I gather on their posts, they always travel solo and probably have a lot of experience they can share.

1 hour ago, HLWIser said:

I work at the family business and am planning on making my exit soon as it causes me a lot of stress.

"The family business"... "casues a lot of stress"...

Why am I suddenly hearing the theme song from "The Sopranos" in the background? :3_grin:

Edited by JLMoran
Added Firegal to the list of solo travelers I remembered

24 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Thanks! I also will refer you to this post by @mpoole3:

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2015/02/16/what-you-need-know-about-taking-solo-royal-caribbean-cruise

One other tip...a great way to cruise solo is join us for a Royal Caribbean Blog group cruise! That way, you aren't truly alone! 

More info on all of our group cruises here: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/events

2 hours ago, HLWIser said:

studio interiors. It doesn't seem to bring the cost down much as solo travel can be expensive but it does help save a bit.

No, no it doesn't. I'm rooming solo with a group and the cost - well I had to chalk it up to "I haven't gone on a real vacation in 2.5 years".

I cruise solo often as my family and friends don't have my flexibility to travel like I do.

I really enjoy solo cruising and it makes cruises with family or friends even more special and different.  I used to travel for business a lot and became used to dining alone on business trips.  Due to that it doesn't concern me to eat in the MDR alone.   If you have a flexible calendar there are deal opportunities.  I can't count the number of times I've asked someone to cruise but they can only go a certain week and rate are double that week.  Being by myself I can sail in an interior cabin and have lots of room.  That alone saves a lot of money, like getting free excursions, internet and drinks.

Studio cabins tend to run ~75% of the cost of paying for double occupancy.  Sometimes they restrict promos and inventory to solo cruisers despite requiring you to pay for two.  In some cases I add someone I've cruised with before to a booking to get a cabin type or promo rate.  Truth is if that person could go at the last minute they would be welcome to join me but more often than not they are a no show at check in.  In those cases the taxes and port fees end up refunded automatically shortly into or after a cruise.   I don't pre-pay gratuity in the cases where a 2nd person is added who might not sail.

Studio cabins do not get double C&A points.  Booking a non-studio cabin including 'Guarantee' cabins do get double C&A points.  Not many ships have studio cabins and they go quickly.  Sometimes they are only slightly cheaper than a regular cabin.  Studio cabins are sometimes pretty small and if the price difference is small I'll go into a regular cabin and take advantage of the double C&A points.  I love suites but just can't justify them when solo.   

There is something really nice about solo cruising.  Do what you want, when you want.  There are often single seats in the theater available as people space themselves out when they sit leaving one seat between them and the next couple.  Sometimes there are single loungers by the pool available for the same reason.  MDR service tends to be very fast when solo.  

If you are the type of person who is comfortable being by yourself solo cruising is great.  Tons of happy people around and lots of public places but easy to slip away and have some alone time when you feel like it. 

Solo travel is defn pricey. Royal pretty much charges 200% so all your saving is the port fees and taxes for the 2nd person by going alone.  As for rooms...some ships do have the studio rooms, but they are few and sell out pretty quickly.  My experience has been there is little to no savings from a "regular" room, BUT you get double CA points in  an inside or higher room so that maybe something to consider.

As for the cruise itself, it does have things listed for solo traveler get-togethers....but my experience with those is that its the same as the LGBTQ meeting type things.....they say its solo get together at the Viking Crown Lounge at 10:30pm.....and when you go there is no one there or there are people there just hanging out and drinking and they defn aren't single.....well there maybe single ppl there but they aren't there cause its the place to meet, they are just there cause they happen to be drinking at that bar at that time.

I wouldn't worry in town or on excursions on your own either as long as you are smart and staying in the tourist areas. And quite often you may meet up or end up out there with people from your ship that you have met or talked with or made plans with.

Of course you can sign up on CC too for Roll Call for your cruise which can help. I did that for my last cruise and we all met up for a slot pull. Was a lot of fun and neat to put some faces to names you have chatted with prior to the cruise.

I would say travel alone and take a chance and enjoy it! Perhaps the shorter cruises might be better based on the normal demographics and atmosphere of the ships, but to each their own!

I have cruised both ways and to tell the truth I have to say I like solo cruising the best I have a cruise on the brilliance oct 1 2018 5 nite out of Tampa and I have a studio inside there are only 3 on the ship then I have a 8 night nov 24 2018 on the adventure out of port everglades with the family. I love being with the family but I come home tired every time from the cruise , as Twangster said when cruising solo I am in charge of my itinerary I eat when I want nap when I want go where I want any time I want I must confess I am not to much of a people person I always manage to meet nice people though on board and have always found some one to pal up with to see the ports or eat with and I am always though not actively for someone to eat with because I cant stand large tables of people I don't know and have more than once opted for dinner in the windjammer alone when the MDR Maitre d told me that there was no option but to sit with large groups of paired off strangers. When you solo its your choice you tend to get much more rest catch a movie if you want to meet and greet there are always solo get togethers and don't forget the joy of adventureing and discovering new areas of the ship spend hours talking to the crew learning much about the ports we are visiting even paling up with some of them and finding that special hidden eatery as I did in the dud port of Freeport they had a lobster roll sandwhich that I think about once a week or so and cant wait to return to Freeport and that is something I have never heard any where from anyone I look forward to my next solo and the only negative I can think of is your security in port be careful where you go and do stay with the other cruisers in the area ,other than that for me its a win win cruise on my friends 

IMG_1771.JPG

2 hours ago, twangster said:

There is something really nice about solo cruising.  Do what you want, when you want.  There are often single seats in the theater available as people space themselves out when they sit leaving one seat between them and the next couple.  Sometimes there are single loungers by the pool available for the same reason.  MDR service tends to be very fast when solo.  

If you are the type of person who is comfortable being by yourself solo cruising is great.  Tons of happy people around and lots of public places but easy to slip away and have some alone time when you feel like it. 

You just convinced me! The great price on the May 5- May 10 Adventure Repositioning called my name!

5 hours ago, HLWIser said:

You just convinced me! The great price on the May 5- May 10 Adventure Repositioning called my name!

I'm on that cruise!  There is a large contingency from rcperiscopers.live going, many solo.  This group often periscopes from RC ships.  

Keep an eye out for an old guy with a camera hanging around his neck.  If you are into facebook there is a group page for this sailing.   

It should be a lot of fun, many solo cruisers will be on board, so you are in good company.

7 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm on that cruise!  There is a large contingency from rcperiscopers.live going, many solo.  This group often periscopes from RC ships.  

Keep an eye out for an old guy with a camera hanging around his neck.  If you are into facebook there is a group page for this sailing.   

It should be a lot of fun, many solo cruisers will be on board, so you are in good company.

OMG! @HLWIser you can finally confirm for us if @twangster is real! ?

20 hours ago, twangster said:

In some cases I add someone I've cruised with before to a booking to get a cabin type or promo rate.  Truth is if that person could go at the last minute they would be welcome to join me but more often than not they are a no show at check in.  In those cases the taxes and port fees end up refunded automatically shortly into or after a cruise.

That brings up an interesting question (interesting to me, anyway !).  When you book a "no-show" do you, then, as the sole remaining passenger, receive double points even though you would not have, if the other person had shown up ?

1 minute ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

That brings up an interesting question (interesting to me, anyway !).  When you book a "no-show" do you, then, as the sole remaining passenger, receive double points even though you would not have, if the other person had shown up ?

Yes.  Both on Celebrity and Royal.  The manifest has to be accurate for government purposes so it is kept very accurately.  I'm sure it is also the basis through which various ports are paid port fees based on head count.  Less fortunate for the person who missed the cruise as they do NOT get C&A points.  

for those of you that are interested there is a list on this blog site of all the royal ships with studios onboard and the different kinds and how many it was current as of Nov 2016 size of bed and the advantages of studios and solo cruising  SAIL ON MY FRIENDS

1 hour ago, henrysea13 said:

for those of you that are interested there is a list on this blog site of all the royal ships with studios onboard and the different kinds and how many it was current as of Nov 2016 size of bed and the advantages of studios and solo cruising  SAIL ON MY FRIENDS

Voila: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/11/03/guide-royal-caribbeans-single-and-studio-staterooms

1 minute ago, henrysea13 said:

thanx Matt I don't know how to include the address on my post :14_relaxed:

When you're writing a post or a reply, you'll see an icon in between the strikethru text format option and the quote option; it sort of looks like a linked piece of chain if you look hard enough. If you click that, you will get a popup where you can paste a link and also put in some text to show.

Alternately, you can just copy the link from your browser and paste it as-is directly into your post / reply. When you submit it, it will automatically get the blue underline and be clickable.

10 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

When you're writing a post or a reply, you'll see an icon in between the strikethru text format option and the quote option; it sort of looks like a linked piece of chain if you look hard enough. If you click that, you will get a popup where you can paste a link and also put in some text to show.

Alternately, you can just copy the link from your browser and paste it as-is directly into your post / reply. When you submit it, it will automatically get the blue underline and be clickable.

Thank you JL for helping me I think I have it now and I really appreciate the tip:14_relaxed:

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Shari Segall said:

Hi! I’m going to be cruising alone on the allure of the seas as my best friend can no longer unfortunately go. Does anyone have any advice? I’m scared to do this by myself and I want to meet new people. 

Firstly, don't be scared! Secondly, thanks for bumping this post up as I just enjoyed reading the comments and blog posts linked to above.

I'm going on my third solo cruise in a few weeks, and it will be my first with Royal Caribbean. I've been getting to know folk via the Cruise Critic Roll Call and Facebook Group for my sailing and have several meet-ups arranged as well as excursions with others in the FB group. I'm actually starting to watch out that I leave myself with some solo me time lol

I've gone on land vacations solo before I discovered cruising, and honestly find cruising is much easier for meeting people and being sociable. I love that I can have the best of both worlds on a cruise by having time to myself and being sociable when I want to be.  Don't let fear hold you back and I hope you have a great time!