Is Uber now approved to drop off in the port?   I know previously Lyft was the only rideshare authorized to drop off in port and you had to go outside the port to get the Uber.  I had heard that Uber finally signed something with the port this year, so I was curious if that was accurate.

1 hour ago, Bkress said:

Is Uber now approved to drop off in the port?   I know previously Lyft was the only rideshare authorized to drop off in port and you had to go outside the port to get the Uber.  I had heard that Uber finally signed something with the port this year, so I was curious if that was accurate.

I asked on page 19, in October, and the last I heard is it was not a done deal.  That’s the last time I see this thread talking about it too.  I would love to know if there is an update.

updated to add: I saw a post on the previous page saying on January 3rd, the person posted they were on allure the week before (so last week of Dec), and Uber was still not able to pick up in the cruise terminal 

2 hours ago, N2otm7 said:

Hello. If you are parking at the north premium covered lot, is it close enough to just bring luggage yourself to the porter or should you  still use the drop off option before parking ?

It's close enough to take your own, however to get in the lot you have to drive right past the porters,  may as well stop and give them your luggage, and save yourself the hassle.   

• 2 weeks later...

Winters in Galveston are going to get that much busier:

Carnival is following in Royal's direction of having a smaller (relative to their fleets) ship operate longer voyages in the winter with Miracle doing 9-12 day sailings.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ship-operations/carnival-adds-fourth-galveston-ship-offering-longer-cruises

So the winters have Royal with 3 ships:

Allure or Harmony (7 nights)

Adventure or Voyager (4/5 Nights)

Radiance or Jewel (9-12ish nights)

Carnival is going to 4:

Jubilee replaces Vista on 7 nights

Breeze (4/5 Nights)

Dream (6/8 Nights)

Miracle (9-12 Nights)

Princess has Ruby Princess this year and Regal Princess next year

NCL has Prima next winter and then Breakaway (or getaway?) the following winter

Disney does their winter ops

MSC is knocking as well.  

3 hours ago, Plumlee2028 said:

Winters in Galveston are going to get that much busier:

Carnival is following in Royal's direction of having a smaller (relative to their fleets) ship operate longer voyages in the winter with Miracle doing 9-12 day sailings.

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ship-operations/carnival-adds-fourth-galveston-ship-offering-longer-cruises

So the winters have Royal with 3 ships:

Allure or Harmony (7 nights)

Adventure or Voyager (4/5 Nights)

Radiance or Jewel (9-12ish nights)

Carnival is going to 4:

Jubilee replaces Vista on 7 nights

Breeze (4/5 Nights)

Dream (6/8 Nights)

Miracle (9-12 Nights)

Princess has Ruby Princess this year and Regal Princess next year

NCL has Prima next winter and then Breakaway (or getaway?) the following winter

Disney does their winter ops

MSC is knocking as well.  

Does anybody think Galveston will pass up Fort Lauderdale to become the #3 US cruise port?

On 3/3/2023 at 9:53 AM, steverk said:

Does anybody think Galveston will pass up Fort Lauderdale to become the #3 US cruise port?

I once thought it would be impossible for Galveston to get to #3, but now it looks likely. The new Royal Caribbean terminal bumped capacity by 50% in Galveston and they are running at a rate of about 3.2 million passengers per year now vs. Everglades at 3.8 million. With MSC signing a letter of intent to build a 4th terminal in Galveston that should bump them to #3 in a few years. 

9 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

I once thought it would be impossible for Galveston to get to #3, but now it looks likely. The new Royal Caribbean terminal bumped capacity by 50% in Galveston and they are running at a rate of about 3.2 million passengers per year now vs. Everglades at 3.8 million. With MSC signing a letter of intent to build a 4th terminal in Galveston that should bump them to #3 in a few years. 

I have a hard time buying in to the MSC terminal.  I know they announced the LOA to look at doing it, but MSC doesn't have the best recent track record on this, that's why Royal is getting basically half a terminal extra in Miami.  They've generally struck me as a company big on press and announcements and quietly let the follow through lapse a bit.  This would be a big investment well outside their normal client base.  I know they want to build up their US customer base, but they haven't done so yet, and going straight into a new port with a custom terminal would be...unusual. 

Fort Lauderdale is getting some growth too.  Princess will have larger ships there in the winter and Royal keeps the Short cruises there in the winter which pumps out a lot of passengers as well as a Winter Oasis class.  The article on Port Canaveral stated Florida Ports forecasts about 5.2 million passengers for 2027.    Galveston's big advantage is that the big players (Royal and Carnival) each keep large ships there year round (2 for Royal, 3 for Carnival).  Fort Lauderdale slows down a lot in the summer.  Im not sure what Royal Group has guaranteed Port Everglades for passengers, but with their Miami Guarantees, Celebrity will have to be part of that.  While their terminal in Port Everglades will be their primary, they will im sure also operate lots of sailings from Miami, impacting Port Everglades.  

It will be an interesting tug of war for a while.  

58 minutes ago, Plumlee2028 said:

I have a hard time buying in to the MSC terminal.  I know they announced the LOA to look at doing it, but MSC doesn't have the best recent track record on this, that's why Royal is getting basically half a terminal extra in Miami.  They've generally struck me as a company big on press and announcements and quietly let the follow through lapse a bit.  This would be a big investment well outside their normal client base.  I know they want to build up their US customer base, but they haven't done so yet, and going straight into a new port with a custom terminal would be...unusual. 

Fort Lauderdale is getting some growth too.  Princess will have larger ships there in the winter and Royal keeps the Short cruises there in the winter which pumps out a lot of passengers as well as a Winter Oasis class.  The article on Port Canaveral stated Florida Ports forecasts about 5.2 million passengers for 2027.    Galveston's big advantage is that the big players (Royal and Carnival) each keep large ships there year round (2 for Royal, 3 for Carnival).  Fort Lauderdale slows down a lot in the summer.  Im not sure what Royal Group has guaranteed Port Everglades for passengers, but with their Miami Guarantees, Celebrity will have to be part of that.  While their terminal in Port Everglades will be their primary, they will im sure also operate lots of sailings from Miami, impacting Port Everglades.  

It will be an interesting tug of war for a while.  

You have a good point on MSC actually following through on a Galveston terminal. Time will tell. I recently sailed on their newest ship, Seascape, and the lack of customer focus in how they operate on board will not go well in Texas. 

17 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

Back in the late 1990's I posted on a message board that Galveston would make a great departure port.  At the time I argued that placing an older ship there would give the ship new life and open up cruising to millions of people in or near Texas.

I was resoundingly criticized for this suggestion. 🤔

LOL

15 minutes ago, BB1 said:

Crazy idea perhaps but maybe they could develop some new ports, how about South Padre Island for one?

I think it would make sense to develop another port in Texas.  South Padre is interesting, although I think Corpus Christi is more feasible. It's closer to Austin and San Antonio. In fact, it's closer to those towns than Galveston.

Before we get ahead of ourselves though, I think someone needs to develop more ports of call closer to Texas to build up demand. The town of Campeche looks interesting to me as they already have a small cruise port in operation and a world heritage site. (Actually, I think they have 2 world heritage sites, but don't quote me on that!)

29 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I wasn't actually meaning a port to cruise from, I meant as a stop from Galveston.  I think Corpus as a home port would be a tough sell, but maybe it could also be a stop. I'm thinking along the lines of Key West. 

Gotcha!  Interesting idea.  I'd sure like to see some new ports of call that can be visited from Galveston.

I've always thought developing a private island off Belize with a pier would be a boon to Galveston cruising.  It could be a big destination by itself, a la coco cay, or just a small jumping off point with nothing more than simple beaches and to be able to tender to the mainland.  It would allow another option for a port so it's not the exact same 3 each time, and could be a big winner like coco cay has become.

• 2 weeks later...

A few items of interest from Friday’s Port of Galveston Board of Trustees meeting:

• An Operating Agreement with Uber was unanimously approved by the Board. Uber has finally agreed to the Port’s terms and the agreement is the same as Lyft's agreement, including a $2.00 fee for each pick up and drop off.
  • The Port is expanding parking for Cruise Terminal 10 near Pier 12.
  • Trustees are receiving positive feedback from the community on the cruise traffic situation;  the new cruise terminal has not resulted in worse traffic.
  • Cruise Terminal 25 (primarily used by Carnival) is being improved to accommodate Carnival Jubilee.  Jubilee is Carnival's newest ship, LNG powered, launching in late 2023 and will be home ported in Galveston. 
  • They approved funding for preliminary engineering services for development of a potential fourth cruise terminal (Cruise Terminal 16) development. This is the cruise terminal location that MSC is interested in and would be located at the current Del Monte facility.

11 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

Trustees are receiving positive feedback from the community on the cruise traffic situation;  the new cruise terminal has not resulted in worse traffic.

I am pleasantly surprised by this.  Traffic in and out of the port isn't bad at all!  I was expecting a nightmare when we debarked from my last cruise (pre opening of the new terminal) and I was off the ship and off the island in less than an hour.

Galveston is doing a really good job handling the logistics of cruising 🙂  Hope they keep up the good work!

On 3/7/2023 at 3:55 PM, steverk said:

Gotcha!  Interesting idea.  I'd sure like to see some new ports of call that can be visited from Galveston.

I have kind of wondered sometime why there is no stops in the Tampico area. It is certainly a big enough port and a very rich in historical and recreation area's that could be developed further. 

32 minutes ago, DonR said:

I have kind of wondered sometime why there is no stops in the Tampico area. It is certainly a big enough port and a very rich in historical and recreation area's that could be developed further. 

I looked into it once, because I felt the same way.  If memory serves, it was put to a vote and the locals voted against it.  There was concern it would alter the character of the town.

I wish they would reconsider. Tampico looks like a really nice port from the pictures and reviews.

3 hours ago, Coda_Sarah said:

I'm glad Uber got on board.  I have been reading on Cruise Critic that some folks are frustrated about getting rides from terminal to airports.  It doesn't seem as easy as other cruise terminals.  It's probably because the airport is so much further away. 

It’s definitely difficult to just find a ride from the terminal to the airport - something you’ll want to figure out ahead of time. 

22 hours ago, BowTieBrigade said:

It’s definitely difficult to just find a ride from the terminal to the airport - something you’ll want to figure out ahead of time. 

You worry for Galveston.  Will people want to avoid cruising from this port?  I already planned my ride back to the airport, but that’s because I did my research. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 7:08 PM, Coda_Sarah said:

You worry for Galveston.  Will people want to avoid cruising from this port?  I already planned my ride back to the airport, but that’s because I did my research. 

While you raise a good point, I don't think it is going to be a problem.  Uber and Lyft both have contracts now, so the number of rideshare companies is increasing.  Since it hasn't stopped people from sailing so far, I don't see it stopping them in the future.

The other thing is that most people sail out of Galveston because they can drive there.  I forget the exact number, but it was over 80% drive.  For these people, the ride to the airport is irrelevant.

On 3/27/2023 at 5:28 PM, Coda_Sarah said:

I'm glad Uber got on board.  I have been reading on Cruise Critic that some folks are frustrated about getting rides from terminal to airports.  It doesn't seem as easy as other cruise terminals.  It's probably because the airport is so much further away. 

Having Uber will help quite a bit. Doing your research as you noted above will also prevent frustration. Keep in mind that the driving distance from Port Canaveral to MCO is 45 miles. That’s 2 miles further than the distance from Galveston’s new cruise terminal to HOU. If someone chooses to fly into IAH then they probably didn’t do their research or ignored the advice in this thread. 

59 minutes ago, Galveston Steve said:

If someone chooses to fly into IAH then they probably didn’t do their research or ignored the advice in this thread. 

While I don't disagree it should be noted that Hobby airport isn't serviced by all airlines and in some cases requires a premium to use or means long layovers or poor connections depending on your favorite airline.  If you don't fly Southwest or you are flying international option to use Hobby HOU go down substantially.

Unfortunately for some flying to Houston means flying into Bush IAH.  If that applies in your case just give yourself more time between the port and the airport.   It's still very doable, just don't underestimate transfer times.

I did my first ever sailing out of Galveston on March 27.  I booked RC shuttle from Bush IAH and for the return as well.  
RC had me going to customs for pick up- as if I was an international arrival. Luckily I flew in the day before and scoped out the “where”. -it was Terminal C for national flights.  I returned to the airport the morning of my shuttle (provided them a flight # for day of cruise) and they did not provide a 9 am shuttle.  We all had to wait for the 11 am. 
btw, others had shuttle transfer instructions telling them terminal c, unlike mine which said customs.

the return trip was ok.  Getting out of the terminal was quite a time consuming event with many saying they’ve never seen it this bad.  Return to the airport was interesting as it was supposed to be terminal A and C (United). The large bus could not pull into terminal A so we all got off at C. It was easy enough to get the subway shuttle to terminal A but IDK what those folks with loads of luggage did as they wanted porters and were told there weren’t any that go to other terminals.

as for Uber/Lyft.  Someone in the FB group for the sailing reported there were no Lyft people available and Uber was on site -illegally-but not “in the app” and  they were charging 2 1/2 times the normal rate for rides.  That’s second hand info, no idea if it’s confirmed by others.  

4 hours ago, Pattycruise said:

I did my first ever sailing out of Galveston on March 27.  I booked RC shuttle from Bush IAH and for the return as well.  
RC had me going to customs for pick up- as if I was an international arrival. Luckily I flew in the day before and scoped out the “where”. -it was Terminal C for national flights.  I returned to the airport the morning of my shuttle (provided them a flight # for day of cruise) and they did not provide a 9 am shuttle.  We all had to wait for the 11 am. 
btw, others had shuttle transfer instructions telling them terminal c, unlike mine which said customs.

the return trip was ok.  Getting out of the terminal was quite a time consuming event with many saying they’ve never seen it this bad.  Return to the airport was interesting as it was supposed to be terminal A and C (United). The large bus could not pull into terminal A so we all got off at C. It was easy enough to get the subway shuttle to terminal A but IDK what those folks with loads of luggage did as they wanted porters and were told there weren’t any that go to other terminals.

as for Uber/Lyft.  Someone in the FB group for the sailing reported there were no Lyft people available and Uber was on site -illegally-but not “in the app” and  they were charging 2 1/2 times the normal rate for rides.  That’s second hand info, no idea if it’s confirmed by others.  

Wow, Royal has been operating in Galveston for years and they have such messed up bus transfer service? Crazy. I almost always drive to the port and it's very easy to park and get to the terminal so I haven't experienced the bus fiasco. I do recommend Galveston Saltwater Moms for transportation to/from the airport.  They are highly rated and also are legally operating at the Port. Follow the link I provided because there are impersonators with a similar name that are not as good. Just message them from their facebook page to arrange a reservation. Reserve well in advance because they book up early.

I've sailed from the new terminal several times and it's always been very efficient for the arrival and departure process in the terminal, especially with the new security and check-in areas for arrival and facial recognition for departure. Too bad you had a different experience.

Uber now has a contract with the Port, so that situation should improve very soon.

4 hours ago, 12thman said:

Does the port actually enforce this TABC to Begin Collecting Taxes at Texas Seaports? Notices to Cruise Passengers | Port of Galveston, TX - Official Website

How do they know you bought alcohol or tobacco on the ship or in Mexico?

After our last cruise in July, TABC had a table sitting just outside customs.  They were picking people at random on top of asking everyone if they had any tobacco or alcohol they needed to declare.  We said we didn't and they let us go, but I saw them direct people to the table for additional questioning.

9 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

Wow, Royal has been operating in Galveston for years and they have such messed up bus transfer service? Crazy. I almost always drive to the port and it's very easy to park and get to the terminal so I haven't experienced the bus fiasco. I do recommend Galveston Saltwater Moms for transportation to/from the airport.  They are highly rated and also are legally operating at the Port. Follow the link I provided because there are impersonators with a similar name that are not as good. Just message them from their facebook page to arrange a reservation. Reserve well in advance because they book up early.

I've sailed from the new terminal several times and it's always been very efficient for the arrival and departure process in the terminal, especially with the new security and check-in areas for arrival and facial recognition for departure. Too bad you had a different experience.

Uber now has a contract with the Port, so that situation should improve very soon.

I suspect the issue was less with Royal than it was with the airport.  IAH is doing extensive  construction again and that had the place really messed up last time I was there.  

6 hours ago, 12thman said:

Does the port actually enforce this TABC to Begin Collecting Taxes at Texas Seaports? Notices to Cruise Passengers | Port of Galveston, TX - Official Website

No, they have not been present at the new cruise terminal on the three cruises I’ve been on that returned to Terminal 10. 

5 hours ago, steverk said:

I suspect the issue was less with Royal than it was with the airport.  IAH is doing extensive  construction again and that had the place really messed up last time I was there.  

Yes, our driver, after clearing it with us, dropped us off at arrivals instead of departures when we were flying home. He said the traffic due to construction was bad and we would just have to go up two levels instead of one where he left us. This was terminal C for United.

We just got back yesterday (Allure, terminal 10). 

15 hours ago, 12thman said:

They were not there on our 5-night sailing in March 2023

One report on a private transport company: We booked a luxury SUV (was a Ford, but quality trim and large enough for all 4 of us and our luggage) through Galveston Shuttle & Limo (NOT Galveston Limousine, a different company). The ride was fine- the driver was great, picked us up on time, gave us bottled water, knew to drop us at arrivals instead of departures to avoid the construction traffic, etc. BUT my main concern is the relationship between the company and the driver. 

When we booked, we were required to prepay gratuities. When our driver dropped us off at the airport, he parked and walked in with us, then kept kind of hanging around, like he was waiting for a tip. My husband finally told him that we would normally provide a gratuity, but we had already prepaid it (20%) with the original payment. He said something like, "Oh. I'll never see that - they just give me a flat amount for picking up the ride" but then he left. I thought I was reserving for a driver employed by the company, so that was really confusing, but I wasn't spending another $40 in tips when I had already paid them.

I contacted the company when I got home to make sure that the driver would receive the gratuity. They said, "of course, I don't know why you think he wouldn't & drivers couldn't do the job without gratuities." A few days later, I contacted our driver again and he said that he did not receive them but to please not do more because he didn't want to lose his job. 😡

I'm pretty angry at the company for not paying him the gratuities. I don't want to necessarily warn people off, because the job was performed just fine! And the driver was great. But maybe if you decide to book with this company, negotiate for leaving the required gratuity off and just give the driver cash?

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, caffeinated said:

Our cruise is still far away, but I am wondering how people get from the hotel in Galveston to the cruise terminal. I know it's not too long of a walk, but I'd rather not walk with luggage.

Lyft/Uber and possibly some sort of shuttle or private transportation. 

15 minutes ago, Ampurp85 said:

Lyft/Uber and possibly some sort of shuttle or private transportation. 

Thanks! I was thinking Uber but wasn't sure if there was something I'm missing. Doesn't look like any of the hotels have a shuttle service, at least not that I can see and I'm sure a private shuttle would be more expensive than Uber.