18 hours ago, CrznTxn said:

Watched the new terminal start from zero to finished. Now to go through it in 10 days, albeit on Adventure and not Allure. Cannot wait and will be on Allure first week in December to try it out too.

Are you on the 11/19 Adventure sailing? If so, we are as well. 

8 hours ago, Matt said:

Disembarkation was incredibly easy, even better than Miami. 

Why?

The distance from gangway to facial recognition to luggage is a matter of feet. It's a very short walk.

You had previously discussed the need for a later flight out of Houston for many reasons, one of which was the Galveston port itself. I believe you recommended no earlier than 2pm. Does the new port change that?

I left on the Adventure on 11/14 and came back on 11/19. Leaving was a breeze. Arriving had some bumps.

It was raining when we the boat unloaded, and they make the passengers depart on the side of the terminal, not the front. The front is next to the north parking lot, where my car was, so I had to walk outside in the rain to get around to the front. People were huddled up against the building waiting on rides or something, making everyone who was walking go out in the puddles.

The parking lot has arms for entrance and exit, and the rain made it so that the exit arms wouldn't open. I sat there watching the guy swipe his card 50 times with no success. He asked if I had my parking ticket (from when I arrived) because the QR code on it might open the gate. I said I didn't know, but if I did, it was in my trunk. Eventually I got out in the rain to dig through my backpack in the trunk, but didn't find the ticket.

Eventually the gate arm just raised by itself.

Traffic on the way in was light. Traffic on the way out was very slow.

15 hours ago, memebag said:

I left on the Adventure on 11/14 and came back on 11/19. Leaving was a breeze. Arriving had some bumps.

It was raining when we the boat unloaded, and they make the passengers depart on the side of the terminal, not the front. The front is next to the north parking lot, where my car was, so I had to walk outside in the rain to get around to the front. People were huddled up against the building waiting on rides or something, making everyone who was walking go out in the puddles.

The parking lot has arms for entrance and exit, and the rain made it so that the exit arms wouldn't open. I sat there watching the guy swipe his card 50 times with no success. He asked if I had my parking ticket (from when I arrived) because the QR code on it might open the gate. I said I didn't know, but if I did, it was in my trunk. Eventually I got out in the rain to dig through my backpack in the trunk, but didn't find the ticket.

Eventually the gate arm just raised by itself.

Traffic on the way in was light. Traffic on the way out was very slow.

Wow, sorry you had this experience. We had no issues arriving on Allure the following day. We did notice that the parking arms were all in the up position coming in and out and they were just checking the parking passes manually.  They designed the terminal so passengers disembarking the ship don't create congestion with the arriving passengers, that's why the disembarking passengers depart the terminal on the east side while embarking passengers enter from the south side. I feel this traffic flow is much preferable to other terminals where there is a mass of humanity going in every direction. I hope you have a better experience next time!

20 minutes ago, luv2sail said:

We have a cruise on Allure, and I am trying to figure out the North lot. Is it covered or not? Trying to understand the picture below. I can't seem to see it in YouTube videos.

image.png.5b8abef068076d7fe6ba24de7596c834.png

A few rows on the north of the north lot are covered. The rest are not.

4 hours ago, luv2sail said:

We have a cruise on Allure, and I am trying to figure out the North lot. Is it covered or not? Trying to understand the picture below. I can't seem to see it in YouTube videos.

image.png.5b8abef068076d7fe6ba24de7596c834.png

This is a picture of the "North Premium Lot (Covered)".  It is the most expensive lot but it is obviously very convenient to the terminal entrance. The "North Lot" is where this photo was taken from, so if you arrive early you can probably get very close to the terminal in the "North Lot", but it will not be covered.

5 hours ago, luv2sail said:

Thank you! I found the parking map online, too. I wonder how fast the covered spots will sell out... Thinking out loud.🙂

We waited until about 2 weeks before the inaugural sailing and it was sold out. Had to book the North lot but we were able to park in the row adjacent to the covered area. I think the covered lot will be very popular and sell out for most cruises, especially in the summer months. I'm convinced the convenience and covering of this lot is worth the price (to me), so I've already booked it for my late January cruise just to make sure we can get in!

2 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

We waited until about 2 weeks before the inaugural sailing and it was sold out. Had to book the North lot but we were able to park in the row adjacent to the covered area. I think the covered lot will be very popular and sell out for most cruises, especially in the summer months. I'm convinced the convenience and covering of this lot is worth the price (to me), so I've already booked it for my late January cruise just to make sure we can get in!

ThInk I am a little early for my July cruise???🤣 I'll save $10 with the November Promo Code.

Thank you for the pictures!! So excited to have an Oasis class ship practically in my back yard.

On 11/9/2022 at 3:01 PM, CrznTxn said:

Watched the new terminal start from zero to finished. Now to go through it in 10 days, albeit on Adventure and not Allure. Cannot wait and will be on Allure first week in December to try it out too.

Unless we decide to do a Radiance in March we will have to wait until our Allure cruise in September. We do look forward to seeing the new digs!

9 hours ago, Mike n Ky said:

Unless we decide to do a Radiance in March we will have to wait until our Allure cruise in September. We do look forward to seeing the new digs!

53 days out for me. I have the covered parking reserved.  The new terminal looks amazing - thanks to everyone and especially @Galveston Stevefor all the updates along the way.

As someone who lives in Texas, I'm hoping that Galveston will be successful and the number and variety of cruises will increase.

Has anyone used Galveston Limo or Galveston Express shuttle services? How was the experience? Do you end up waiting for quite a while? It looks like Galveston Express stops at both airports in the same run, does that sound right? (If I'm leaving from IAH, I really prefer not to make a stop at HOU first.) Does Galveston Limo do that as well? And how do you work out your timing, both with the ship and with the shuttle? Do you choose on your own, or do you tell the shuttle service your flight time and they tell you when they'll be there? It makes me nervous that a prepaid shuttle might leave without us and then we're stranded... My husband says he feels more comfortable with a shuttle service, but I'm not sure if it makes sense over a rideshare with all of the caveats. There are 4 of us so rideshare prices are usually comparable with shuttle prices. We also tend to use Uber - any updates on whether they are in the terminal yet?

On 11/28/2022 at 5:33 PM, Coda_Sarah said:

I'm pretty sure we will book with Galveston Saltwater Moms,

I see them mentioned a lot. Are they a licensed and insured transportation group or just a bunch of ladies who like driving people around in their spare time?

A cruise transfer is just a shuttle bus contracted by the cruise line instead if you purchasing tickets on a shuttle yourself.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:32 AM, smokeybandit said:

I see them mentioned a lot. Are they a licensed and insured transportation group or just a bunch of ladies who like driving people around in their spare time?

Galveston Saltwater Moms is a licensed Transportation Provider with the Port of Galveston, which means they can legally operate at the cruise terminals. They have a $500,000 bond and commercial insurance through Progressive. Give them a try as an alternative to the big guys. 

Edited by Galveston Steve
Added link.

1 hour ago, steverk said:

First time out of the new terminal this morning.  What a disappointment! I've heard how was 5 minutes from car to ship. Took 2 hours in a disorganized mess!

One of the agents said they've stopped enforcing check in time and it has been this way ever since

Dissapointing. What time did you arrive?

20 hours ago, steverk said:

First time out of the new terminal this morning.  What a disappointment! I've heard how was 5 minutes from car to ship. Took 2 hours in a disorganized mess!

One of the agents said they've stopped enforcing check in time and it has been this way ever since

we actually someone on our allure that leaves in a week board for a b2b yesterday.  i was told the issue yesterday had to do with a missing passenger on the cruise that was returning.  so it had nothing to do with the logistics of the new terminal and was more of a one off...

20 minutes ago, Hince57 said:

we actually someone on our allure that leaves in a week board for a b2b yesterday.  i was told the issue yesterday had to do with a missing passenger on the cruise that was returning.  so it had nothing to do with the logistics of the new terminal and was more of a one off...

That would not be consistent with what I observed.

When I arrived on the second floor, the room was jammed with hundreds, perhaps over a thousand people trying to check in. There was almost no signage to direct people. It turns out there really wasn't a check in line. Rather,there were dozens of unmarked check in stations arrayed throughout the room. You were supposed to just walk up to the most convenient one. However, all of them were mobbed.

Once checked in, I  was directed to the security queue. Once again, unmarked aside from a small sign that said"eneter here".

This line didn't move. Turns out, after checking in to most of the other stations,  the agent would open the barrier to let their people in to the line closer to the front. This is effectively legal line cutting and was based entirely on which check stand you happened to get. Some people undoubtedly got lucky and boarded quick. Everyone else just waited.

Perhaps a missing passenger complicated the situation,  but the basic problem is very poor design.

41 minutes ago, Hince57 said:

sorry to hear that you encountered so many challenges.  wasn't my experience a month ago and i hope they fix it.

Not my experience either.  I sailed on Allure on the first cruise out of the new terminal.  It was smooth with no lines.  I think some of the problems might be everyone showing up at once and not at their boarding time picked out.  We walked right in, was greeted and checked in, then directed to the suite entrance where they served coffee and pastries.  I have sailed our of Florida and this was much smoother and faster.