20 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

I recently tried Blacklane.com to book a black SUV to/from Hobby and the Port of Galveston.  I reserved a couple weeks ahead and the pricing was fixed, it was a professional driver in a black SUV, they had a Galveston Wharves Parking Permit on the windshield, and they arrived right on time. Price including tip was $175 each way, which was about the same as Uber or Lyft for the same type of vehicle.  Blacklane is worldwide and I've used them in other cities with similar great service. They also have a sedan option for a little less cost.

Most important question: Will blacklane include a stop at Whataburger? Can't visit Texas without a stop!

On 9/25/2022 at 8:31 PM, Reigert2008 said:

If it helps, we used Lyft on September 11th after our cruise and it was $67.78 plus tip to get to Hobby.  We did some walking around after the cruise and was picked up at 11:09 am about a half mile from the port.

We were on that cruise and you could have caught a ride with us for free as I wouldn't have allowed my sister to charge you.

On 10/2/2022 at 1:51 PM, TXcruzer said:

Not since a venture capital firm from CHICAGO purchased them 

Can't agree...they opened one in Tn and I was amazed at not only the quality but the service. Ate at one off 45 on El Dorado before our September cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

66 years experience eating Whataburgers and given the number of locations now you won't always find the same quality but I prefer them over every other fast food burger place.

Side note on the Hermitage Tn opening January 2022...they called the police to direct traffic as the line was so long up the highway it would take hours to process all the orders. 4 months later it was still extremely busy.

1 hour ago, Mike n Ky said:

Can't agree...they opened one in Tn and I was amazed at not only the quality but the service. Ate at one off 45 on El Dorado before our September cruise and thoroughly enjoyed it. 

66 years experience eating Whataburgers and given the number of locations now you won't always find the same quality but I prefer them over every other fast food burger place.

Side note on the Hermitage Tn opening January 2022...they called the police to direct traffic as the line was so long it would take hours to process all the orders. 4 months later it was still extremely busy.

Glad to hear you enjoy them.  I agree, some are better than others.  I for one here in Texas have found several other places with much better burgers.  What I did like were the fries and and fried pies for desert.  

Monitoring construction progression of Terminal 10 on the Live Galveston North Skycam Webcam.  But have yet to see progress on the parking lots and scheduled Covered North Parking Lot.  A little more than a month out for the initial cruise, I'm hopeful they are on schedule. Regardless, still cruising on the 27th!

17 minutes ago, hikerGeoff said:

Monitoring construction progression of Terminal 10 on the Live Galveston North Skycam Webcam.  But have yet to see progress on the parking lots and scheduled Covered North Parking Lot.  A little more than a month out for the initial cruise, I'm hopeful they are on schedule. Regardless, still cruising on the 27th!

We drove by last week and my husband said the same thing! Let's hope we see some concrete trucks soon.

I will definately be looking at options out of Galveston as there are now daily direct flights between Vancouver and Houston (4.5 hours) for less than half the cost of indirect flights to Miami (11+ hours travel time). If my Oasis cruise in January wasn't already paid in full I would be looking to switch to Allure.

2 hours ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

I will definately be looking at options out of Galveston as there are now daily direct flights between Vancouver and Houston (4.5 hours) for less than half the cost of indirect flights to Miami (11+ hours travel time). If my Oasis cruise in January wasn't already paid in full I would be looking to switch to Allure.

Enjoy your cruise and your time in Texas!

Just don't forget that there are 2 airports in Houston.  I'm guessing you'll arrive at IAH. that's 90 minutes from the cruise port, so allow plenty of time.

I'd also avoid hotels near either airport.  Most of the neighborhoods nearby are rather sketchy

12 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Are there hotels near the cruise port?

There are plenty of hotels on Galveston island, but only 1 right near the port, Harbor House (which some like, and some don't).

Last time we stayed on the island we were at the Holiday Inn because they had shuttle service to the port. Mediocre hotel though. We sailed out of there in March and had a hotel on the northeast end of the island, but our flight got changed so we stayed near the airport instead.

47 minutes ago, Vancity Cruiser said:

Yeah but Houston is where the direct flights are being offered. Are there hotels near the cruise port?

As mentioned,  there are several hotels on the island.  The Tremont and harbor house are within walking distance.

Several people stay in Webster Texas, which is a suburb of Houston about 20 miles from the port. It's a decent, safe and relatively cheap place to stay. I also suggest Kemah which is  a little out of the way but has a boardwalk with hotels, shopping, restaurants  and amusement park rides.

Word of Advice, if you are planning on taking an Uber or Lyft, stay in Houston, not in Galveston. I stayed in Galveston the night before a cruise in 2019, LOVED my stay there, had a great time, but when the morning came, NO Ubers or Lyfts would come for me. Every time they would cancel; I had at least 10-12 cancelled rides that morning. Ended up having to walk the 2 miles to the port with all luggage. Turns out that all the drivers know that most people getting off the ship are going to Houston, drivers would rather take the long 30+ minute trip from port to Houston than a short 5-10 minute trip from Galveston Airbnb/hotel to cruise port. If you do stay in Galveston, stay walking distance from port.

On 10/9/2022 at 9:27 AM, smokeybandit said:

There are plenty of hotels on Galveston island, but only 1 right near the port, Harbor House (which some like, and some don't).

Last time we stayed on the island we were at the Holiday Inn because they had shuttle service to the port. Mediocre hotel though. We sailed out of there in March and had a hotel on the northeast end of the island, but our flight got changed so we stayed near the airport instead.

Do you know which Holiday Inn had the shuttle? Looks like there are a few different locations on the island. Thanks!

14 hours ago, nate91 said:

Word of Advice, if you are planning on taking an Uber or Lyft, stay in Houston, not in Galveston. I stayed in Galveston the night before a cruise in 2019, LOVED my stay there, had a great time, but when the morning came, NO Ubers or Lyfts would come for me. Every time they would cancel; I had at least 10-12 cancelled rides that morning. Ended up having to walk the 2 miles to the port with all luggage. Turns out that all the drivers know that most people getting off the ship are going to Houston, drivers would rather take the long 30+ minute trip from port to Houston than a short 5-10 minute trip from Galveston Airbnb/hotel to cruise port. If you do stay in Galveston, stay walking distance from port.

Wow...good to know.  I am planning on staying in Galveston.  I thought there was only one hotel within walking distance to the already finished terminals, but I also am not sure if Terminal 2 will be further away or if other hotels are closer to it.

On 10/12/2022 at 7:28 AM, Coda_Sarah said:

Wow...good to know.  I am planning on staying in Galveston.  I thought there was only one hotel within walking distance to the already finished terminals, but I also am not sure if Terminal 2 will be further away or if other hotels are closer to it.

We didn't have any problem getting a Uber from out at the end of the sea wall the day of the cruise. This was for a sailing on the Liberty in September. I think 1 Carnival ship was also in port. But at that time Uber couldn't drop us off at the port. They dropped us off across the street and we walked a block or two. It wasn't a problem. Not sure if that is still true.

33 minutes ago, AandD said:

We didn't have any problem getting a Uber from out at the end of the sea wall the day of the cruise. This was for a sailing on the Liberty in September. I think 1 Carnival ship was also in port. But at that time Uber couldn't drop us off at the port. They dropped us off across the street and we walked a block or two. It wasn't a problem. Not sure if that is still true.

Thanks for that.  We will be on Allure on a Sunday, but I'm also not sure how many other ships are docked on a Sunday either.  Thanks!

18 minutes ago, Coda_Sarah said:

Can someone confirm Uber AND Lyft pick up and drop off at the cruise terminal?  Does it start at a later date?  I couldn't find anything online confirming it.  Someone said they debarked from Vista two weeks ago and they were not able to use Uber.

Uber and Lyft both service Galveston.  I believe the comments were specific to trying to use either for a short ride to a local hotel post.  Lyft and Uber drivers are independent contractors and can refuse rides.  In this case, they were holding out for more lucrative runs to the airport.  Galveston is not a major city so many of the drivers probably head there from closer to Houston on debarkation days.

If you want certainty, I would pre book a ride with a limo/car service.

3 hours ago, Coda_Sarah said:

Can someone confirm Uber AND Lyft pick up and drop off at the cruise terminal?  Does it start at a later date?  I couldn't find anything online confirming it.  Someone said they debarked from Vista two weeks ago and they were not able to use Uber.

Lyft currently has exclusive access to port property. Uber is there, but you have to walk out to the street, they can’t enter the port. 

Recently, Uber has seen the error in their ways and have decided to “play ball” with the port authority.  I do not know, however, when the Uber contract will be finalized and when they will have access to port property. 

1 hour ago, TXcruzer said:

Lyft currently has exclusive access to port property. Uber is there, but you have to walk out to the street, they can’t enter the port. 

Recently, Uber has seen the error in their ways and have decided to “play ball” with the port authority.  I do not know, however, when the Uber contract will be finalized and when they will have access to port property. 

Thanks...I assumed Uber was already picking up from the port based on the other post.  Sounds like that hasn't happened yet.  

3 hours ago, memebag said:

I'm sailing on Adventure of the Seas out of Galveston on 11/14/2022. I got my documents today, and they say we are boarding at terminal 2, which seems to be the old terminal. I was hoping we were using the new one.

That’s surprising and may be a case of the documentation not being updated. I would be prepared to see where the ship docks that morning by using the Marine Traffic app. 

29 minutes ago, Galveston Steve said:

That’s surprising and may be a case of the documentation not being updated. I would be prepared to see where the ship docks that morning by using the Marine Traffic app. 

I confirmed that the doc's have not been updated.  I'm sailing on Allure on November 13th and they will be sailing out of the new terminal.  My doc's also show terminal 2.

9 hours ago, USCG Teacher said:

Out of curiosity, do you remember what company you used?

She’s getting almost as bad as me memory wise….

It was either Busy Bee or Yellow Cab. 

She said she called one and got no answer so she called the other.  

The hotel desk gave us a list of phone numbers to local cab companies. 

8 hours ago, memebag said:

I'm sailing on Adventure of the Seas out of Galveston on 11/14/2022. I got my documents today, and they say we are boarding at terminal 2, which seems to be the old terminal. I was hoping we were using the new one.

That's the Monday right after Allure's first revenue cruise departs on Sunday, you can bet your bottom dollar they will be using the new terminal.