On 4/21/2022 at 8:52 AM, Lone Star said:

Good Day Everyone, 

I have a question about the itineraries that Royal offers out of Galveston. I realize that under the current economic conditions that certainly cost of offering additional itineraries plays a major factor. With that said and knowing that we are only a short time away from the opening of Royal’s new terminal in Galveston, is there any chance that Royal will add any new sailings to the schedule? Carnival currently offers 7 day trips to Jamaica and Grand Cayman and has done so pre COVID. I can’t help but to believe that after committing so many millions on a new terminal, that some different itineraries aren’t in the works? Thoughts?

I am in agreement, I'd like to see more itineraries from Galveston. One can only visit Costa Maya and Cozumel so many times. I'd really like to see sailings to the Eastern/Southern Caribbean. I know it would mean at least a couple of extra sea days getting there and back, but when I consider the cost of air tickets plus a hotel for going to Florida a day early, it kind of washes out financially. I'd rather spend the time on a ship than in a plane/hotel. 

Granted, I'm not staying in a Suite, so it's easier for me to compare the daily ship rates against hotel & airfare. However, I'm getting to the point where, if I have to fly somewhere, I'll bite the bullet and head for Europe or the Pacific. 

1 hour ago, Lugnut said:

I am in agreement, I'd like to see more itineraries from Galveston. One can only visit Costa Maya and Cozumel so many times. I'd really like to see sailings to the Eastern/Southern Caribbean. I know it would mean at least a couple of extra sea days getting there and back, but when I consider the cost of air tickets plus a hotel for going to Florida a day early, it kind of washes out financially. I'd rather spend the time on a ship than in a plane/hotel. 

Royal is planning to position Radiance in Galveston starting in January.  She is offering some different itineraries including a handful to Perfect Day.  If lots of people sail on these itineraries, then maybe Royal will make more of them going forward.

The Galveston Daily News is reporting that Galveston cruise lines are asking for commercial flights into Galveston's Scholes Field to support the cruise industry.  An excerpt from the article:

"As operations pick up at Royal Caribbean’s new cruise terminal, scheduled for completion at the Port of Galveston this year, Shahan expects prospects for limited commercial operations at the airport to expand.

“The cruise companies have been telling us they want commercial services to the airport,” Shahan said.

If that came to fruition, the airport likely would build a new terminal and would need to add Transportation Security Administration facilities to the building, he said."

image.jpeg.abd1b902db06e5d051879f13f416c6e0.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I've reported all along that the new Cruise Terminal 10 will be ready for Allure, and it looks like things are still on track. The project schedule shows a few items finishing at the last minute (landscaping, outdoor lighting, a few other things), but all indications are it will be an exciting grand opening in November.

The Crown and Anchor is ready!

image.thumb.png.edb849c0e16f2c116d29f7868594c76c.png

The pier repairs are essentially complete, the terminal exterior is taking shape, and the interior is coming together.

image.thumb.png.9ae03888af5b8ba4a17aa91b6c2d164a.png

48 minutes ago, BB1 said:

Quick question.  What has happened to the Uber rates from the cruise  terminal?  I see $240 to go to Hobby and $320 to go to Bush . Why so high and will  this persist? It doesn't seem to be a good option anymore.

Have you priced out Lyft? I thought they had the exclusive for Port of Galveston whereas Uber has to drop off further away.

10 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Have you priced out Lyft? I thought they had the exclusive for Port of Galveston whereas Uber has to drop off further away.

I don't have Lyft but I know it would be easy to get the app. I think Lyft was actually more because they have a port fee. Any info would be helpful. 

2 hours ago, BB1 said:

Quick question.  What has happened to the Uber rates from the cruise  terminal?  I see $240 to go to Hobby and $320 to go to Bush . Why so high and will  this persist? It doesn't seem to be a good option anymore.

It depends on when you are going, Lyft and Uber raise prices when demand is high. Right now (10:30 on a Sunday morning), Lyft charges between $50-$200 to get to Hobby. $50 is standby, $200 is premium deluxe. Lots of options around $100.

2 hours ago, BB1 said:

You might just price out a regular taxi.  According to this website, Hobby to Galveston Cruise Terminal is just under $100 Taxi fare from Hobby Airport to Port Of Galveston in Houston, costs around $ 96.00 (worldtaximeter.com)

BTW: I 45 has several lanes closed for construction this weekend.  Traffic is a real mess and may have messed with UBER/LYFT/Taxi fares.

3 hours ago, BB1 said:

Wow, it must be because of the time you checked on a Sunday with 2 ships in port.  It's just before noon and I'm seeing $52 for Uber to Hobby.  I'd grab a taxi or pre-arrange a shuttle or bus transport.

On 7/24/2022 at 8:58 AM, BB1 said:

I don't have Lyft but I know it would be easy to get the app. I think Lyft was actually more because they have a port fee. Any info would be helpful. 

You are correct, Uber is not allowed to operate in the Port because they chose not to sign an operating agreement with the Port.  If you want to have Uber pick you up after disembarking, you would need to walk over to 25th Street or the Strand and have them pick you up in that area.

@Galveston Steve , Princess just released 2023-2024 itineraries from Galveston with Regal Princess .

Regal’s deployment starts and ends with 12 day FLL to GLV October 2023 and back March 2024.  There are several 10 and 11 day Holiday cruises,, and the rest are 7-day Sunday departures.

I

Edited by Zurc
Typo

On 7/24/2022 at 12:53 PM, BB1 said:

Check tomorrow morning around 8am when Grandeur arrives and next Sunday around 8am when Liberty comes in and I think you'll be surprised.  My flights are usually  around 11:30- 12:30 from Hobby so unfortunately I can't leave late enough for rates to drop.

I was on Adventure in February.  Granted we were the only ship but I was off early using self-assist and paid $57.80 on Lyft including tip from Galveston to Hobby.  Looking back at my receipt I was picked up in Galveston at 7:35am and dropped at Hobby at 8:21am.  

From Galveston but also from Port Canaveral surge pricing has often seen rates jacked up once the masses start to debark.  There is definitely an advantage with getting off early.  Once there are only a few or no cars in the area it triggers surge rates which can easily reach $150 or more for the same ride.

1 hour ago, Zurc said:

@Galveston Steve , Princess just released 2023-2024 itineraries from Galveston with Regal Princess .

Regal’s deployment starts and ends with 12 day FLL to GLV October 2023 and back March 2024.  There are several 10 and 11 day Holiday cruises,, and the rest are 7-day Sunday departures.

I

Thank you for posting. I think competition is a good thing, the more cruise lines that sail from Galveston the better.

1 hour ago, Cakemeister said:

Thank you for posting. I think competition is a good thing, the more cruise lines that sail from Galveston the better.

Princess has a smaller ship in Galveston, Ruby Princess, this fall through next spring.  

I was searching on a TA site for prices of Royal’s January 2023 cruises from Galveston, and found the Ruby Princess cruises so cheap as a solo cruiser, that I couldn’t pass them up.  I have a b2b, one week they visit  Roatan, the next Belize.   There was no single supplement on the cheap January Ruby cruises when I booked a few days ago.

Edited by Zurc
Added info

10 hours ago, twangster said:

I was on Adventure in February.  Granted we were the only ship but I was off early using self-assist and paid $57.80 on Lyft including tip from Galveston to Hobby.  Looking back at my receipt I was picked up in Galveston at 7:35am and dropped at Hobby at 8:21am.  

From Galveston but also from Port Canaveral surge pricing has often seen rates jacked up once the masses start to debark.  There is definitely an advantage with getting off early.  Once there are only a few or no cars in the area it triggers surge rates which can easily reach $150 or more for the same ride.

both the advantages and disadvantages of ride share right there.

Looks like Battleship Texas (BB_35) is finally ready to inhabit the massive drydock that arrived across from the cruise piers back in June. The move is scheduled for next Wednesday! This last week they re-piped the ships horn to compressed air so she can sound her departure with her own voice.  The Battleship Texas Foundation is also trying to arrange for limited access to the Texas while she is in dry dock there in Galveston. 

https://battleshiptexas.org/

https://battleshiptexas.org/departure/

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2022 at 11:25 AM, Matt said:

Royal Caribbean wasn't happy that the Port of Galveston gave access for this tour and other tours previously.  This new story prompted Royal to tell the Port that there is to be no more media access to the new terminal.  Royal wants to control the release of information leading up to the big grand opening, which is certainly understandable.

Here are a couple slides presented to the Port of Galveston last week.  Items of interest from the meeting discussion:

• Uber has come to their senses now that Galveston will have a 3rd cruise terminal and Royal and Carnival are putting their largest ships there. Uber is negotiating an agreement with the Port to be able to provide services inside the Port. That's great news for cruise passengers as Lyft is currently the only major rideshare service allowed.
  • The LNG powered Carnival Jubilee arrives in November 2023. The next big cruise project for the Port of Galveston will be a renovation of Cruise Terminal 25 to accommodate Carnival's newest and largest ship.
  • Royal Caribbean has told the Port that there is to be no more media access to the new terminal.  Royal wants to control the release of information leading up to the big grand opening, which is certainly understandable.
  • Royal Caribbean is planning to dock some of the current Galveston ships at the new Terminal 10 a few weeks prior to Allure's arrival in order to test out the new terminal operations.

CT10.thumb.jpg.55860952e5fea3896ccb50d03ae334f8.jpg 

409330779_CT10Roads.thumb.jpg.af84fe3f4677a5839a56a7fa1e7c7ede.jpg

The journey toward a new Royal Caribbean Cruise Terminal 10 is in a sprint to the finish. I've updated my original post with information on the new terminal. I'll continue to update this as we approach Allure's arrival in November. We'll be on the inaugural cruise from Galveston and will add updates based on our experience on that first cruise.

image.thumb.jpeg.57ae1d6f84602107ab3d17292d8024a5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Coda_Sarah said:

I'm glad I found this thread.  We are cruising out of Galveston next summer (August) on Allure of the Seas.  I saw someone's post recently about debarking early in order to avoid the surge and sudden increase in Lyft or Uber fares.  I wonder if that will change with Uber joining in.  

Welcome to the thread.  

You raise a good question,  but there's no way to know the answer at this time. 

I hope you enjoy your cruise and discover a little more about Texas 

For those planning to park at the new terminal I would mention that a covered parking area was just added to the North Lot.  It was not shown earlier for those making reservations on their site.  The covered area  at the North Lot costs about $20 more than the open area at North Lot for those interested.

10 hours ago, Reigert2008 said:

If it helps, we used Lyft on September 11th after our cruise and it was $67.78 plus tip to get to Hobby.  We did some walking around after the cruise and was picked up at 11:09 am about a half mile from the port.

The prices drop dramatically by 11. They tend to be much higher earlier. It is very difficult to predict. 

I've used both the ship's shuttle and private shuttle companies without any problem. One time, I believe it was May, the cost of Uber was over $300 to get to Bush and something like $180 to get to Hobby.  That uncertainty caused me a lot of stress and so that is why I've since used both the ship's shuttle  and private companies.  When Allure arrives with all the added people,  all bets are off.

On 9/26/2022 at 9:42 AM, BB1 said:

I've used both the ship's shuttle and private shuttle companies without any problem. One time, I believe it was May, the cost of Uber was over $300 to get to Bush and something like $180 to get to Hobby.  That uncertainty caused me a lot of stress and so that is why I've since used both the ship's shuttle  and private companies.  When Allure arrives with all the added people,  all bets are off.

I recently tried Blacklane.com to book a black SUV to/from Hobby and the Port of Galveston.  I reserved a couple weeks ahead and the pricing was fixed, it was a professional driver in a black SUV, they had a Galveston Wharves Parking Permit on the windshield, and they arrived right on time. Price including tip was $175 each way, which was about the same as Uber or Lyft for the same type of vehicle.  Blacklane is worldwide and I've used them in other cities with similar great service. They also have a sedan option for a little less cost.

1 hour ago, Galveston Steve said:

I recently tried Blacklane.com to book a black SUV to/from Hobby and the Port of Galveston.  I reserved a couple weeks ahead and the pricing was fixed, it was a professional driver in a black SUV, they had a Galveston Wharves Parking Permit on the windshield, and they arrived right on time. Price including tip was $175 each way, which was about the same as Uber or Lyft for the same type of vehicle.  Blacklane is worldwide and I've used them in other cities with similar great service. They also have a sedan option for a little less cost.

I would urge caution with booking Blacklane, especially where finding last minute replacements would be pricey.  I've booked three rides with Blacklane. One of them was an amazingly wonderful experience in Chicago with one of the most professional drivers I have ever met.  Once they cancelled my ride about 12 hours before pickup, and once they cancelled about 60 minutes out while I was in the air.