On 6/14/2021 at 5:18 PM, stevendom57 said:

If I recall, the contract between RC and Galveston say that the terminal will be complete somewhere around Sept 2022 but it could be as late as mid 2023. Does RC have any history of sailing from a terminal that is mostly complete, but not fully?

I am booked for Feb 2023 and I am talking a lot of my friends and relatives into joining us on the cruise. I am going to have a lot of egg on my face if the terminal completion slips and Allure OTS isn't in Galveston at that time.

So, all of you great cruisers with crystal balls, what do you think?

Me too - booked for Mar ‘23.   Originally on the Mar ‘22 from Galveston , now departing FLL.  Stayed with the ship but had to buy a plane ticket for ‘22.  Really hope I can leave from Galveston in ‘23

From yesterday's Port of Galveston Trustees meeting:

• Construction activity is picking up and things continue on track to be ready for Allure in Nov 2022.
  • Carnival Vista is still planning to sail from Galveston beginning July 3rd.
  • Governor Abbott will attend a Royal Caribbean event at the port on August 15th to celebrate the first sailing of Independence of the Seas.
  • An LNG company held a demonstration of truck delivery of LNG and related safety measures earlier this month. Attending were representatives from the Port, US Coast Guard, city fire department, and others. There are a few ships in the region that use LNG fuel and this company wants to do truck deliveries for now.  The US Coast Guard has approved ship-based LNG deliveries on the east coast but has not approved it for the Houston/Galveston area yet.  Although this demonstration was not specifically related to Royal Caribbean's LNG-powered Icon Class ships, the new Galveston Cruise Terminal is designed for the Icon Class ships.

4 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

• Construction activity is picking up and things continue on track to be ready for Allure in Nov 2022.
  • Governor Abbott will attend a Royal Caribbean event at the port on August 15th to celebrate the first sailing of Independence of the Seas.
  • An LNG company held a demonstration of truck delivery of LNG and related safety measures earlier this month. Attending were representatives from the Port, US Coast Guard, city fire department, and others. There are a few ships in the region that use LNG fuel and this company wants to do truck deliveries for now.  The US Coast Guard has approved ship-based LNG deliveries on the east coast but has not approved it for the Houston/Galveston area yet.  Although this demonstration was not specifically related to Royal Caribbean's LNG-powered Icon Class ships, the new Galveston Cruise Terminal is designed for the Icon Class ships.

This is great, Thanks! 

I just read the agenda item on the contract to be awarded for Parking and roadway design consultant company.  Shocked to see as scope they are basing it on 2020 number and SIZE  of cruise ships per week.  What!  Allure pax capacity will need much more parking spaces than Liberty’s pax capacity.  

https://www.portofgalveston.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/4301?fileID=6963

4 hours ago, Zurc said:

I just read the agenda item on the contract to be awarded for Parking and roadway design consultant company.  Shocked to see as scope they are basing it on 2020 number and SIZE  of cruise ships per week.  What!  Allure pax capacity will need much more parking spaces than Liberty’s pax capacity.  

I see how there could be confusion, but I read it differently. I think they are basing the design on a traffic study that was completed in 2020 and which took into account the future number and size of cruise ships per week.  Here is a portion of that announcement for the original traffic study:

"The scope of the study includes collecting and validating traffic data at 25 intersections along Harborside Drive and Broadway, forecasting future traffic conditions out to 20 years in the future, operational/capacity analysis of the conceptual master plan roadway, and creating a simulation to evaluate the access roads to Cruise Terminal 3 and the adjacent parking areas."

7 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

I see how there could be confusion, but I read it differently. I think they are basing the design on a traffic study that was completed in 2020 and which took into account the future number and size of cruise ships per week.  Here is a portion of that announcement for the original traffic study:

"The scope of the study includes collecting and validating traffic data at 25 intersections along Harborside Drive and Broadway, forecasting future traffic conditions out to 20 years in the future, operational/capacity analysis of the conceptual master plan roadway, and creating a simulation to evaluate the access roads to Cruise Terminal 3 and the adjacent parking areas."

Thanks for clarifying.  That would be better. 

On 6/23/2021 at 12:55 PM, Galveston Steve said:

Thank you for the update! I totally lost track of the new terminal progress during the past year. 

I thought this was interesting: 

Carnival Sends Last-Minute Requirement for Guests on First Four Cruises

First, Carnival is a line that has previously announced it is sailing under the provision of the CSO to restart without CDC monitored test sailings and instead a 95% vaccinated pax manifest. Second, I've offered that RCL "opened a can of worms" sailing with test cruises and a hybrid pax manifest.

What I find interesting is that cans of worms aren't limited only to lines that want to sail with a hybrid pax manifest to protect access for families with unvaxed kids. In this case it appears Carnival is in a pickle trying to insure, in advance???, that they have vaccination proof for 95% of pax. They're asking in this unexpected email sent to booked guests to go to their booking and fill out an additional health form stating that if you don't do this, your booking may be cancelled ..... wow! ..... I suspect most guests expected to simply show their vax cards during the boarding process and, if I'm not mistaken that was the intial guidance. Now, either the company or the CDC is asking for advance proof.

This could have something to do with the federal requirement to close out pax manifests 48h before sailing.

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-sends-last-minute-requirement-for-guests-on-first-four-cruises/52473

18 minutes ago, JeffB said:

I thought this was interesting: 

Carnival Sends Last-Minute Requirement for Guests on First Four Cruises

First, Carnival is a line that has previously announced it is sailing under the provision of the CSO to restart without CDC monitored test sailings and instead 95% vaccinated pax manifest. Second, I've offered that RCL "opened a can of works" sailing with test cruises and a hybrid pax manifest.

What I find interesting is that cans of worms aren't limited only to lines that want to sail with a hybrid pax manifest to protect access for families with unvaxed kids. In this case it appears Carnival is in a pickle trying to insure, in advance???, that they have vaccination proof for 95% of pax. They're asking in this unexpected email sent to booked guests to go to their booking and fill out an additional health form stating that if you don't do this, your booking may be cancelled ..... wow! ..... I suspect most guests expected to simply show their vax cards during the boarding process and, if I'm not mistaken that was the intial guidance. Now, either the company or the CDC is asking for advance proof.

This could have something to do with the federal requirement to close out pax manifests 48h before sailing.

https://www.cruisehive.com/carnival-sends-last-minute-requirement-for-guests-on-first-four-cruises/52473

This is no surprise to me at all.  I wondered from the beginning how they (CCL) ever expected to qualify for the "no test cruise" scenario when they had no idea who was sailing (vaxxed or unvaxxed).  I have no sympathy for them whatsoever.  They made this bed and now they're scurrying around trying to find a way to lie in it. Recall that THEY were the ones who originally said they were going to permit unvaxxed to sail....and then let Royal make their announcement that Royal wasn't going to insist on vaccination....and then Carnival turned around and suddenly announced  that they were going FULL VAX.  Serves them right, IMO.  I have my popcorn ready.  This should get very interesting.

It would be nice to know if CCL got broadsided by an unexpected request for either the CDC or the port authority to provide an advanced pax manifest ....... or ....... if they screwed this up knowing full well they needed to give advance notice.

In a close read of not a well written article on this, it's possible that pax weren't filling out health questionnaires during the before terminal arrival check-in process done on an app or at the web site correctly. If so, not their fault and from what I see among cruise people (not here because we are all well informed ?) there's plenty who don't know about and therefore don't do what they are supposed to do when doing  advanced when check in for a booked reservation.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ALLURE OF THE SEAS DEPLOYMENT UPDATE

We are thrilled to announce that we recently opened two additional sailings onboard Allure of the Seas® in November 2022 out of Galveston, Texas. These 7-Night Western Caribbean sailings will depart November 13 & 20, 2022.

https://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/deployment/2022_2023/21075570_Allure_7_Night_Caribbean_Deployment_Flyer.pdf

20 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

Book these if very confident in new terminal construction timeline. 

The transatlantic was always scheduled to arrive on Nov. 13 but for some reason they had her first two weeks in Texas blocked off.  Some speculated media cruises or some other modified cruises in the interim but alas they finally opened up two regular looking 7 night cruises, the second of which is Thanksgiving so it's a "premium" cruise.  

I'm betting they've got a plan in place and maybe even some contractual verbiage that encourages the work to get finished in time, or enough work to make it happen even if the terminal isn't 100% complete.  

It's encouraging they are confident enough to open these two additional weeks.  I'm betting it'll get done barring any hurricanes coming that way.  

19 hours ago, twangster said:

The transatlantic was always scheduled to arrive on Nov. 13 but for some reason they had her first two weeks in Texas blocked off.  Some speculated media cruises or some other modified cruises in the interim but alas they finally opened up two regular looking 7 night cruises, the second of which is Thanksgiving so it's a "premium" cruise.  

I'm betting they've got a plan in place and maybe even some contractual verbiage that encourages the work to get finished in time, or enough work to make it happen even if the terminal isn't 100% complete.  

It's encouraging they are confident enough to open these two additional weeks.  I'm betting it'll get done barring any hurricanes coming that way.  

@twangsterThanks!  I had been hoping they would open these up for booking!  Taking a chance on the November 13 sailing with an end Boardwalk Balcony overlooking the magnificent AquaTheater.   

I'd made a December 4 reservation from the previous deployment announcement - with a refundable deposit.  Trying to decide if I wait until Final to cancel it - so will have an informed decision whether the terminal will likely be finished 3 weeks earlier.  Would Royal announce by middle of August 2022 if Terminal 10 (aka Terminal 3) would be delayed?

Parking questions for you seasoned Galveston cruisers!  

I'm booked at the Tremont House the night before my cruise; I was intending to park my car at Port of Galveston parking, but then found out that the Tremont has a stay/park/cruise thing for $100.  

First question: is Tremont close enough to walk (with our luggage) to the terminal, or would I need to use their shuttle? 

The only downside I can think of for using the Tremont parking is that when we get off the ship, we'd have to get back to the hotel and wait for them to retrieve our car (they are valet only), whereas if we park at PoG, we can get off the ship and go straight for the car.  

Also I am not sure of the Tremont's security for wherever they park the cars -- is PoG parking more secure? 

What would y'all do? 

2 hours ago, Zurc said:

Would Royal announce by middle of August 2022 if Terminal 10 (aka Terminal 3) would be delayed?

LOL, to Twangster’s magic 8 ball answer.   
I should have asked this instead: 

If Galveston terminal is on track, the TA departs for Galveston Oct 30, 2022.     IF they suspect the terminal will not be ready for her by the Nov 13 arrival, they’d have to delay the Oct30 TA (and probably add on a couple more European itineraries).       
     Assuming Royal has past history where this has occurred  (TA moved due to new terminal delay), is anyone aware the latest (closest in) to scheduled TA date, that Royal has adjusted TA start and new terminal inaugural sailing?    Just curious.  

thanks!!

11 hours ago, Zurc said:

@twangsterThanks!  I had been hoping they would open these up for booking!  Taking a chance on the November 13 sailing with an end Boardwalk Balcony overlooking the magnificent AquaTheater.   

I'd made a December 4 reservation from the previous deployment announcement - with a refundable deposit.  Trying to decide if I wait until Final to cancel it - so will have an informed decision whether the terminal will likely be finished 3 weeks earlier.  Would Royal announce by middle of August 2022 if Terminal 10 (aka Terminal 3) would be delayed?

I feel confident in the terminal completing on time. This is my opinion as a former industrial project manager, from following the progress reports monthly with the Port of Galveston, and seeing the commitment to this project as one of Royal's priorities during the pandemic.  That said, we are also booked on the Nov 13 and Dec 4 sailings and we will keep them both. Being on the first Oasis Class ship to sail from the new Galveston Terminal? Priceless!

2 hours ago, skittermagoo said:

I'm booked at the Tremont House the night before my cruise; I was intending to park my car at Port of Galveston parking, but then found out that the Tremont has a stay/park/cruise thing for $100.  

First question: is Tremont close enough to walk (with our luggage) to the terminal, or would I need to use their shuttle? 

The only downside I can think of for using the Tremont parking is that when we get off the ship, we'd have to get back to the hotel and wait for them to retrieve our car (they are valet only), whereas if we park at PoG, we can get off the ship and go straight for the car.  

Also I am not sure of the Tremont's security for wherever they park the cars -- is PoG parking more secure? 

What would y'all do? 

My son and his family have used the Tremont parking option (before the pandemic shutdown).  At that time they were teamed up with the Hotel Galvez (located on the seawall). You drove your car to the Galvez and parked in their lot, then the Galvez provided a shuttle bus to the port. Both hotels are under new ownership now so I'm not sure if that is still the way they handle the cruise parking. I suggest calling the Tremont to confirm how it works.

If you're able to walk a few blocks with luggage then yes, it's definitely walkable to the port from the Tremont. Remember that summer in Galveston can make for a hot and humid walk if that matters to you.  We like staying there and they have a great rooftop bar that we like to enjoy if the weather is good.

37 minutes ago, Zurc said:

LOL, to Twangster’s magic 8 ball answer.   
I should have asked this instead: 

If Galveston terminal is on track, the TA departs for Galveston Oct 30, 2022.     IF they suspect the terminal will not be ready for her by the Nov 13 arrival, they’d have to delay the Oct30 TA (and probably add on a couple more European itineraries).       
     Assuming Royal has past history where this has occurred  (TA moved due to new terminal delay), is anyone aware the latest (closest in) to scheduled TA date, that Royal has adjusted TA start and new terminal inaugural sailing?    Just curious.  

thanks!!

I can't directly answer your question, but another option is to go ahead with the transatlantic sailing and just end it in Florida, then do a couple Florida sailings before coming to Galveston.

17 minutes ago, Galveston Steve said:

My son and his family have used the Tremont parking option (before the pandemic shutdown).  At that time they were teamed up with the Hotel Galvez (located on the seawall). You drove your car to the Galvez and parked in their lot, then the Galvez provided a shuttle bus to the port. Both hotels are under new ownership now so I'm not sure if that is still the way they handle the cruise parking. I suggest calling the Tremont to confirm how it works.

If you're able to walk a few blocks with luggage then yes, it's definitely walkable to the port from the Tremont. Remember that summer in Galveston can make for a hot and humid walk if that matters to you.  We like staying there and they have a great rooftop bar that we like to enjoy if the weather is good.

Thanks so much for this! We'll be there in January, so heat/humidity is not so much a concern.  I'm looking forward to the rooftop bar if it's warm enough!

I'm tempted to just book parking at the Port  for convenience (and also because their lot is patrolled) -- I suspect that when we disembark, we won't want to wait around too long before heading home.  Tremont now is "involuntary valet parking" (ugh), and I've been caught before in the dance of waiting around for cars to be retrieved, shuttles to arrive, etc.  

10 minutes ago, skittermagoo said:

Thanks so much for this! We'll be there in January, so heat/humidity is not so much a concern.  I'm looking forward to the rooftop bar if it's warm enough!

I'm tempted to just book parking at the Port  for convenience (and also because their lot is patrolled) -- I suspect that when we disembark, we won't want to wait around too long before heading home.  Tremont now is "involuntary valet parking" (ugh), and I've been caught before in the dance of waiting around for cars to be retrieved, shuttles to arrive, etc.  

I completely agree with your logic and your plan.

6 hours ago, skittermagoo said:

What would y'all do? 

That's an interesting question.  If you're sailing out of terminal 2, then walking is doable. It's about 5 blocks. 

If you're planning to sail after the new terminal is complete,  then it will be about a mile or so.

1 hour ago, Cakemeister said:

She's had the water slides and Sabor for a few years. Unfortunately I don't think she's going to get anything major. 

Cadiz is for propulsion and navigation equipment updates and maybe even a new paint job. If they were doing the next amplification, which they were supposed to do last year, then they would have done that at the facility in Freeport, The Bahamas. The video shown was the first amplification.