2 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

My thoughts exactly. That is the approach I thought Royal was going to take, but they haven't really been forthcoming with their specific overall strategy.

looks like Royal plan is to do test cruises and except for Alaska cruises this season will go the test cruise approval route.  Already approve for test cruises are Freedom, Allure, Symphony and now I hear Independence.

I find it hard to believe that Florida will prevail in their lawsuit against the CDC, but who knows.

Matters not to me as I am vaccinated and see no risk either way for myself.

19 minutes ago, Scatmanjack said:

August 15 is live sail date for Independence of the Seas from Galveston per Matt...

We were booked for August 1...

and school starts...

?

Yes, Michael Bayley posted this on Facebook... Independence from Galveston starting August 15!  Now we know why she is now along side at Galveston Terminal 2.

15 minutes ago, emmef said:

Is it terrible that I want to just take my kid out of school for several days to go on a cruise?  His school starts Aug. 17.  

I'm trying to get permission to pull my grandson from kindergarten for the Aug 15th sailing.  I don't think it's gonna fly.

Ok Good GIF

9 minutes ago, Galveston Steve said:

I'm trying to get permission to pull my grandson from kindergarten for the Aug 15th sailing.  I don't think it's gonna fly.

Ok Good GIF

@GalvestonSteve well they made him do school from home for half of the last year.  Maybe I can request "school from cruise ship" for three days?

Who's down to bribe @Galveston Steve with a Whataburger in exchange for on the ground reporting of Indy in Galveston and maybe a terminal update? ?

This is exciting to see Royal back in Galveston, and a new ship.

I wonder if Indy will hang out in Galveston for a bit, or head out to sea until test cruises can commence.

17 minutes ago, Matt said:

Who's down to bribe @Galveston Steve with a Whataburger in exchange for on the ground reporting of Indy in Galveston and maybe a terminal update?

I can start a gofundme account for Steve. Goal will be the necessary funds for Steve to participate in a cupcake decorating class on a sailing of his choosing. 

25 minutes ago, Matt said:

Who's down to bribe @Galveston Steve with a Whataburger in exchange for on the ground reporting of Indy in Galveston and maybe a terminal update? ?

I wonder if Indy will hang out in Galveston for a bit, or head out to sea until test cruises can commence.

I'm in!

I’ve sailed on Liberty several times. I’m very interested in trying Indepedence.
I know Independence was amplified. My question is besides the new public spaces and restaurants, does Royal refresh the staterooms? I know they add some new staterooms, I’m just curious about the old ones. New beds or anything? New TVs?
Not a deal breaker for me to try Independence, just curious. 

I just logged into my cruises on Royal website. 

My Explorer for mid-October has been canceled.  It wasn’t on the list of canceled cruises the other day,   TA’s office advised after Indy fills in for Liberty, she will pick up the Explorer (Galveston) sailings.    Apparently Explorer being redeployed, 

New Cruise Terminal Update

Here's the division of work between the Port of Galveston and Royal Caribbean International (RCI): The Port will move things out of the way to clear the site for the terminal, and will bring utilities to the site. The Port also provides the parking, landscaping, roads, and dock repairs. RCI builds the terminal building and performs some improvements to the dock.

At this time much of the physical work is continuing to be performed by the Port as they prepare the site for RCI's new terminal. Royal has limited physical work at the site at this point in the schedule as they complete the design and procure materials.  RCI's construction will ramp up as the schedule progresses. At the moment it seems that things are progressing as planned.

RCI Activities

• Pile testing was completed by RCI in May. This will allow RCI to complete the foundation design for the terminal.
  • Design work continues.
  • Procurement of materials continues.

Port of Galveston Activities

• Bids are being solicited for improvements to the Pier 10 dock with some scope performed by Royal and some scope by the Port.
  • Water line and sanitary sewer line construction contract of $1.65 million was approved by Port Trustees in May. This work will provide water and sewer service to the terminal and connects those lines into the City of Galveston.
  • Working with utility companies (electrical and others) to relocate some of their facilities to make way for the new terminal facility.
  • Continuing work to relocate certain structures and facilities from the new terminal area to other areas of the Port to make room for the new terminal facilities.
  • Construction continues on improvements to Old Port industrial Road for better traffic flow. 
  • Design of roads and parking in the vicinity of the new terminal is ongoing.

New Road Names

The Trustees approved Royal Caribbean Way and Royal Caribbean Circle as names of roads in and around the terminal area. RCI had asked what the new terminal address will be. The Port didn't have an answer, so that prompted getting the new roads named.

850278996_ScreenShot2021-06-05at10_15_39PM.thumb.png.e844a5fdc5d54c1e6afeabe4fe6e6694.png

22 hours ago, Matt said:

Looks like she’ll hang out with the tankers and occasionally come in to the dock for provisioning. 

9F3F3056-8768-4393-9029-880662B32395.png

I am intrigued by some sailings in 2022 from Galveston.

Normally for 7 nights it is either :

A: Cozumel, Falmouth, Grand Cayman

B: Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan

Seems like they have added another option with an additional port...

C Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan, Belize City

One less sea day but a good spot for seeing some sealife via a mask and snorkel...

Trying to decide between B and C for our rebooking...

Paul

19 hours ago, CrznTxn said:

Looks like Indy will take the place of Liberty for the 7 night voyages until mid-September when Liberty returns from dry dock. Then Indy will assume the 4 and 5 night voyages until returning to Miami a little later. This from the RCCL agent we talked to last Friday.

I can confirm this. My travel agent can see these 4-5 night sailings in the system but they aren’t available for booking as of last night. 

12 minutes ago, Galveston Steve said:

I can confirm this. My travel agent can see these 4-5 night sailings in the system but they aren’t available for booking as of last night. 

Royal and my TA said they are unavailable until they finish moving ship-swap customers.  My email said they would begin moving reservations over starting today. 

1 hour ago, Galveston Steve said:

Can you tell how long Indy will be doing these shorter sailings before moving back to Florida? Would like to try to get on one. 

8 hours ago, Zurc said:

Royal and my TA said they are unavailable until they finish moving ship-swap customers.  My email said they would begin moving reservations over starting today. 

7 hours ago, Landry_TX said:

Can you tell how long Indy will be doing these shorter sailings before moving back to Florida? Would like to try to get on one. 

Ben Affleck Movie GIF by Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 

Most of the Independence of the Seas sailings from Galveston are now available to book.

1 hour ago, Galveston Steve said:

Ben Affleck Movie GIF by Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 

Most of the Independence of the Seas sailings from Galveston are now available to book.

Thanks. I’m a little concerned as I don’t have updated info or a cabin assignment yet from my Explorer to Indy switch.  And my category shows sold out for my October date already

If I recall, the contract between RC and Galveston say that the terminal will be complete somewhere around Sept 2022 but it could be as late as mid 2023. Does RC have any history of sailing from a terminal that is mostly complete, but not fully?

I am booked for Feb 2023 and I am talking a lot of my friends and relatives into joining us on the cruise. I am going to have a lot of egg on my face if the terminal completion slips and Allure OTS isn't in Galveston at that time.

So, all of you great cruisers with crystal balls, what do you think?

12 minutes ago, stevendom57 said:

If I recall, the contract between RC and Galveston say that the terminal will be complete somewhere around Sept 2022 but it could be as late as mid 2023. Does RC have any history of sailing from a terminal that is mostly complete, but not fully?

I am booked for Feb 2023 and I am talking a lot of my friends and relatives into joining us on the cruise. I am going to have a lot of egg on my face if the terminal completion slips and Allure OTS isn't in Galveston at that time.

So, all of you great cruisers with crystal balls, what do you think?

That was put in as a hedge against continued Covid shutdowns. With cruising back, I am pretty sure construction will be completed on time. 

New terminal construction continues with demolition work over the next 4 weeks... this was posted today on the Port of Galveston's Facebook page:

Harborside Drive traffic notice from the Galveston Wharves
Cruise terminal construction at Pier 10 is expected to generate additional truck traffic on Harborside Drive west of 14th Street beginning the week of June 14. The Galveston Wharves said that truck traffic, associated with demolition work at the construction site, is expected during daytime hours Monday - Saturday for about 4 weeks. Royal Caribbean International is building the $110 million cruise terminal, which is scheduled to open in late 2022. The project will generate an estimated 400 construction jobs and 400 operations jobs.

15 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

New terminal construction continues with demolition work over the next 4 weeks... this was posted today on the Port of Galveston's Facebook page:

Harborside Drive traffic notice from the Galveston Wharves
Cruise terminal construction at Pier 10 is expected to generate additional truck traffic on Harborside Drive west of 14th Street beginning the week of June 14. The Galveston Wharves said that truck traffic, associated with demolition work at the construction site, is expected during daytime hours Monday - Saturday for about 4 weeks. Royal Caribbean International is building the $110 million cruise terminal, which is scheduled to open in late 2022. The project will generate an estimated 400 construction jobs and 400 operations jobs.

excellent news, this will really up the ante for Galveston.

From the Galveston Daily News...

ROYAL CARIBBEAN BREAKS GROUND ON NEW GALVESTON TERMINAL

image.thumb.png.843c1d91f2bf740d4f3f6da10c3289fc.png

After more than a year of delay, construction crews this week broke ground at the site of the Port of Galveston and Royal Caribbean Cruise Line’s new $110 million terminal at Pier 10.

It will be months still until the new terminal begins looking like a building. There’s a lot of ground to be broken.

Before upward construction of the terminal can begin, crews need to rip up acre upon acre of concrete at the pier, officials said.

Work removing the old concrete marks a milestone for the terminal that once seemed likely to become a casualty of the coronavirus pandemic.

image.thumb.png.3c0c0366389edb21673a0383033ba997.png

“It’s finally started,” said Albert Shannon, the chairman of the Galveston Wharves Board of Trustees. “After all the preparation, all the negotiation and the pandemic and everything else, they’ve finally started.”

Officials warned the next four weeks of work would mean more traffic on Harborside Drive west of 14th Street as trucks haul away demolition debris. Eventually, trucks will haul in tons of dirt to lay the groundwork for the terminal.

The two-story terminal building will be about 150,000 square feet, and the facility will cover about 10 acres. To make room for the terminal, the port has moved many of the operations conducted by Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics, which imports BMW automobiles and roll-on, roll-off cargo such as farm equipment, to the west end of the port.

image.thumb.png.cfd4af30fc3c822678e30ff82e4e9c18.png

Officials have presented multiple concept drawings of the new terminal. The latest designs feature a building with a large rotunda, painted blue, with a covered passenger drop-off area spread out in front of it. The port intends to build a new paid parking area near the terminal, Shannon said.

Royal Caribbean didn’t respond to questions Wednesday about whether it had finalized designs for the building.

Royal Caribbean and the Port of Galveston announced plans to build a third terminal in 2018. In December 2019, they announced the company was on the verge of signing a long-term lease with the port.

But the signing was delayed for a year after the U.S. cruise industry was shut down over the coronavirus pandemic. Royal Caribbean received a year-long extension on its due diligence period for the new terminal. During that time, the company — which lost $56.8 billion in 2020 — could have walked away from the deal.

In April, the port and Royal Caribbean ended the due diligence period and finalized their agreements, allowing construction to begin.

Port officials said from their perspective the deal was never in jeopardy and noted Royal Caribbean continued engineering and analysis work at the terminal site throughout the past year.

Port officials estimate the new terminal will create at least 400 construction jobs.

The terminal is expected to be open by late 2022, although the company has until 2023 to finish the job. When it opens, Galveston also will welcome larger Oasis-class ships, which can hold as many as 5,400 paying passengers on a single trip.