6 hours ago, Scatmanjack said:

We are 90 days out from our scheduled sailing on Liberty,   Have a corner aft balcony and am thinking getting the  same spot on a replacement ship is going to be tough,,,

yes a source of frustration when you get the cabin you really want and then the ship changes or you have to pick another one.

Changes to the ship and don't get the same cabin.  It has happened both of the possible ways for me.  They changed the ship and probably started with a clean slate and you got the same cabin location.  then they have also just offered alternative sailing but on another ship either same of different date and you took what you could get.

22 hours ago, twangster said:

Magnificent. I will be proud to call this my new home port terminal. Maybe I will be on the first sailing to use this terminal. 

The Port of Galveston is now acknowledging that NCL's Norwegian Prima will call on Galveston on 27 Oct 2022, before repositioning to Miami and Port Canaveral for the winter.  This will be the first NCL ship to ever call on Galveston.

Discussions are also in progress to home port an NCL ship in Galveston beginning in November 2023.

1 hour ago, Galveston Steve said:

The Port of Galveston is now acknowledging that NCL's Norwegian Prima will call on Galveston on 27 Oct 2022, before repositioning to Miami and Port Canaveral for the winter.  This will be the first NCL ship to ever call on Galveston.

Discussions are also in progress to home port an NCL ship in Galveston beginning in November 2023.

I was curious, went on NCL dot com to price the Prima from Galveston to Miami.   The booking stayed consistent price-wise, but when it got to the payment page, and it showed booking add-ons, the booking total was over $5 Million dollars.  $5,000,016.75.   ?  And we thought RCI website support was challenged.  

p.s.  after seeing that price for an Oceanview, I can attest Royal Caribbean is a much better value ??

On 5/12/2021 at 5:04 PM, Galveston Steve said:

I am BOOKED!!!    11 Day Cruise on NCL Prima from Galveston to Miami,  visiting the beautiful Southern Caribbean!!!!

Oct. 31, 2022 - Nov. 11, 2022

Bookings only open to Latitudes members currently,  but opens to general public next week!

There is also a 12 day Cruise on Prima from New York to Galveston!!!!?  In October 2022.

15 hours ago, Zurc said:

I was curious, went on NCL dot com to price the Prima from Galveston to Miami.   The booking stayed consistent price-wise, but when it got to the payment page, and it showed booking add-ons, the booking total was over $5 Million dollars.  $5,000,016.75.   ?  And we thought RCI website support was challenged.  

p.s.  after seeing that price for an Oceanview, I can attest Royal Caribbean is a much better value ??

@Zurc If you aren't a Latitudes member, or if you aren't signed in with your membership it will not let you book. 

Prices are pretty good.   We are sailing in a handicapped accesible balcony room for about 2200 per person including WiFi, Specialty Dining, Excursion Credit, and the flight home to Houston from Miami.

7 minutes ago, AlmondFarmer said:

If I join the Latitude club, how high would I need to be to book now? I live near Sacramento, CA 38.5 degrees north, hopefully this is high enough. 

Latitudes is the name of their loyalty club at NCL.  I'm a member of the loyalty club on NCL and RCI.  I like both, but slightly prefer RCI, but I could NOT pass up going on this awesome new ship!  My husband and I are doing a 20 year anniversary cruise and leaving our son at home.

16 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

Would it not make sense that Royal moves ALL operations to new terminal thus opening the old terminal to a new Cruise Line, Norwegian?   Royal wouldn't be running multiple ships on same day so they wouldn't need to have two slots...

For anyone interested, here is the itinerary for the Oct. 31, 2022 Cruise on Norwegian Prima

Day 1 Galveston
Day 2 At Sea
Day 3 Cozumel
Day 4 At Sea
Day 5 At Sea
Day 6 Oranjestad, Aruba
Day 7 Willemstad, Curacao
Day 8 Kralendijk, Bonaire
Day 9 At Sea
Day 10 At Sea
Day 11 Great Stirrup Cay  (NCL Private Island)
Day 12 Miami

6 hours ago, emmef said:

For anyone interested, here is the itinerary for the Oct. 31, 2022 Cruise on Norwegian Prima

Day 1 Galveston
Day 2 At Sea
Day 3 Cozumel
Day 4 At Sea
Day 5 At Sea
Day 6 Oranjestad, Aruba
Day 7 Willemstad, Curacao
Day 8 Kralendijk, Bonaire
Day 9 At Sea
Day 10 At Sea
Day 11 Great Stirrup Cay  (NCL Private Island)
Day 12 Miami

That a nice diving itinerary. ?

On 5/13/2021 at 9:25 AM, Scatmanjack said:

Would it not make sense that Royal moves ALL operations to new terminal thus opening the old terminal to a new Cruise Line, Norwegian?   Royal wouldn't be running multiple ships on same day so they wouldn't need to have two slots...

You are correct! Carnival sometimes uses the current Royal terminal, and prior to Covid Carnival had announced a 4th ship to homeport in Galveston. That would keep the two existing terminals pretty busy.  It will be interesting to see if NCL comes to Galveston and uses the old Royal terminal or if they will build a 4th terminal.  A 4th terminal location would be located at the current Del Monte pier based on the Port of Galveston Master Plan.

More options in Galveston is a good thing.

Its a nice itinerary too:   ABC + M then Miami.   Would like to see more like that from Galveston.

On 5/14/2021 at 6:11 PM, Galveston Steve said:

You are correct! Carnival sometimes uses the current Royal terminal, and prior to Covid Carnival had announced a 4th ship to homeport in Galveston.

One of the Carnival ships is currently (or at least as of Friday when I was down there) docked at Royal's terminal. Even though I don't/won't cruise Carnival, it was still an amazing sight to see those two ships (Vista & Breeze) from the overpass at 51st street & Harborside. The "We miss y'all!" sign on one of them was an emotional sight.   

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Josh C said:

That was my initial thought, but why else? 

Matt had reported Liberty is to Dry Dock in Spain this summer... Perhaps they are moving in another Freedom Class to cover the existing bookings from Galveston?   Could use the majority of existing room assignments given similar layouts? 

If this is the case, and August 1 sailings happen, we would complete our Freedom Class Hat Trick having previously sailed on Freedom, Liberty, and now Independence... 

Cruise critic posted a news article with more CDC approved ships and port combinations for test cruises (just not dates).  Independence test cruise from Galveston was on the list.    So that explains why she is in Galveston. 

p.s.

I see this is old news today.  It was posted on a different thread here earlier. Sorry to post again

The real problem may be that there is a bill similar to Florida's ban on requiring proof of vaccination not being allowed, and he is expected to sign it.  Then we will have the same issues that Florida has.  But the law will not be effective for 90 days, so it will be interesting to see if no test cruise cruises go out of Galveston in the meantime.  

25 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

The real problem may be that there is a bill similar to Florida's ban on requiring proof of vaccination not being allowed, and he is expected to sign it.  Then we will have the same issues that Florida has.  

True. But since Royal plans on doing test cruises they can simply eliminate the vaccine requirement and then we can all go on cruising. I don't want this to become a vaccine discussion but I just think there must be a simple solution out there now that the authorities and the cruise lines are finally talking.

17 minutes ago, Galveston Steve said:

True. But since Royal plans on doing test cruises they can simply eliminate the vaccine requirement and then we can all go on cruising. I don't want this to become a vaccine discussion but I just think there must be a simple solution out there now that the authorities and the cruise lines are finally talking.

I agree, I'm not trying to start the debate, but I thought the 90 day window could be interesting.  Someone could do the no test cruises for a couple of months while they work through the test cruises.

9 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I agree, I'm not trying to start the debate, but I thought the 90 day window could be interesting.  Someone could do the no test cruises for a couple of months while they work through the test cruises.

My thoughts exactly. That is the approach I thought Royal was going to take, but they haven't really been forthcoming with their specific overall strategy.

18 minutes ago, Galveston Steve said:

My thoughts exactly. That is the approach I thought Royal was going to take, but they haven't really been forthcoming with their specific overall strategy.

That's what thought they all would do, but then there is the State law complication.  At least for 90 days, it wouldn't be an issue in Texas.  Of course, I have a booking on another cruise line that shall remain nameless (it was way too good of a deal to pass up) in September, about 2 weeks after the law takes effect.  I was trying to give myself more hope, until I realized I'm outside the 90 day window.  But hopefully they will have figured something out by then.