We were originally booked b2b Aug 29-Sept 5 and Sept 5-Sept 12.  The first week was to be a family cruise after our oldest got married.

The wedding was postponed till 2022, so we rescheduled that cruise (with family) to 2022.  My wife and I are really hoping to go on the Sept 5th sailing, but the news of Liberty going to Spain makes it look less likely.

21 minutes ago, Zurc said:

@Galveston Steve, any further news on the Pier 10 terminal?  If I recall, Royal Caribbean still had until sometime this April for due diligence.   Will you keep us up to date when you hear any news, groundbreaking date, etc. ?   

thanks!

I will definitely keep you posted, and you will probably hear it here first.  As my update last week noted, there are now regular project update meetings between RCI and the Port of Galveston, and RCI is getting ready to start test piles to confirm the foundation load bearing capacities.  Things are moving forward, even if the final sign-off hasn't occurred.

2 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

I will definitely keep you posted, and you will probably hear it here first.  As my update last week noted, there are now regular project update meetings between RCI and the Port of Galveston, and RCI is getting ready to start test piles to confirm the foundation load bearing capacities.  Things are moving forward, even if the final sign-off hasn't occurred.

Thank you!!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AlmondFarmer said:

Any equipment moved in or surveying? 10 days left in April. 
If nothing happens soon, those who booked first Allure sailings will have reason to be nervous. 

I can't speak for Galveston Steve, as he seems to always be in the know. But in my experience, the view from the road isn't all that great. Therefore, any work would have to be very large to be visible.

22 hours ago, steverk said:

I can't speak for Galveston Steve, as he seems to always be in the know. But in my experience, the view from the road isn't all that great. Therefore, any work would have to be very large to be visible.

I agree with Steve. It is difficult to see the work site from Harborside. It sits much farther back from the street than the other terminals. There's always cranes and equipment around there so it is difficult to tell what's "new" and what's always there. We need someone who works at John Sealy across the street who can see into the worksite from the top of the parking garage. ?

On 4/20/2021 at 10:23 AM, AlmondFarmer said:

If nothing happens soon, those who booked first Allure sailings will have reason to be nervous. 

Construction in Texas tends to be easier than most states, there should be no problems with the deadline if they want it done by then.

On 4/20/2021 at 10:23 AM, AlmondFarmer said:

RCI has completed installing the test piles at the new terminal site.  I've attached a rather poor photo of the pile rig from the Port Director's monthly report.  The pile load testing will begin next week to determine the actual pile capacity at the site. RCI has some Pier 10 wharf repairs in their scope and they are issuing a request for bids on that work this month.  RCI and the Port of Galveston are continuing to hold bi-weekly project meetings. Things are progressing but it's typically a slow ramp-up in activity at first.

image.thumb.png.65ec6047ac2003812e5f53c8ab1d6c78.png

Interesting reading from the posted agenda for next Port of Galveston meeting.

Section C.3.  Port Directors report (PDR)

PDR attachment - One slide shows Royal Caribbean Terminal Update - the due diligence period is waived, hard contract now.  However extend final completion date and rent start date 3 months.   

Business section F.11   -  attachment shows a proposed 2nd amendment to RC new Terminal ground lease. 

Here is the entire agenda with links
https://www.portofgalveston.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_04272021-394?html=true

(Note:  PDR last slide also shows 2 Carnival ships & Crew returning to Galveston May 2, 2021.)

@Galveston Steve, just saw your update posted above. Thanks

1 hour ago, Zurc said:

Interesting reading from the posted agenda for next Port of Galveston meeting.

Section C.3.  Port Directors report (PDR)

PDR attachment - One slide shows Royal Caribbean Terminal Update - the due diligence period is waived, hard contract now.  However extend final completion date and rent start date 3 months.   

Business section F.11   -  attachment shows a proposed 2nd amendment to RC new Terminal ground lease. 

Here is the entire agenda with links
https://www.portofgalveston.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_04272021-394?html=true

(Note:  PDR last slide also shows 2 Carnival ships & Crew returning to Galveston May 2, 2021.)

@Galveston Steve, just saw your update posted above. Thanks

Thanks @Zurc.  Yes, the proposed 2nd Amendment to the contract waives the due diligence period, which is great news.  It still has a Target completion in September 2022 which is ahead of Allure's arrival in November 2022.  However it provides for an extension of the completion Deadline and Rent Commencement Date to give RCI some additional time in the event of a delay in their ability to finance the project.  RCI must begin paying rent on the lease when the first cruise ship docks at the new terminal, but if no ship docks by the Rent Commencement Date in 2023 they must begin paying rent then even if no ships have docked there yet.  The information in the pre-read had several conflicting dates so I was planning to listen in on the meeting next week to sort out the dates and provide an update then.

2 hours ago, DanielB said:

Thanks for posting this @DanielB. I think/hope the headline in this article is a bit misleading.  Since the agreement says RCI will use "commercially reasonable efforts" to reach substantial completion by 9/1/2022, I believe this request by RCI to extend the completion deadline and rent commencement dates by a few months into late 2023 is to give them a little breathing room in case financing becomes difficult or the CDC continues to make life difficult for cruise companies within US ports.  I'll continue to monitor the situation and report back.

2 hours ago, steverk said:

This is surprising news!

According to this story, Carnival will bring ships in to Galveston on Sunday.  Their intent is to crew up and get ready to go.

Cruise ships set to return to Galveston this weekend in hopes to welcome passengers this summer - ABC13 Houston

Per Marine Traffic.. Vista will be one of them. 

848202B7-2C84-421F-A2A7-5D808685227B.jpeg

1 hour ago, twangster said:

On a side note, as a tech geek I was always deterred from booking Vista because of the disaster that Microsoft Vista was.  Completely unfair but I can't help myself.

I have my fingers crossed for your sake that Royals first Icon ship isn’t named Google Glass of the Seas. 

2 hours ago, Josh C said:

Per Marine Traffic.. Vista will be one of them. 

Yes, Vista and Breeze arrive in Galveston on Sunday.  They will be using the existing cruise terminals to vaccinate about 350 crew members across both ships starting next week.

The headline here should have been "Royal Caribbean Removes Cruise Terminal Contingency, Project Is A Go!" but I guess I'm just too optimistic ?.  Royal is being prudent by giving themselves the potential to delay the project if the CDC continues to screw over the cruise industry. I'm thrilled that RCI didn't outright cancel the contract like they had the right to do because now they are committed to Galveston.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/04/27/royal-caribbean-asks-galveston-extra-time-complete-new-cruise-terminal-case-ships-cannot

On 3/30/2021 at 4:16 PM, Galveston Steve said:

Representatives from the Battleship USS Texas, currently moored as a museum near the ship channel in Houston, are working to get agreement on moving the ship to Pier 20 in Galveston (adjacent to the Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Museum). 

The Port decided today to discontinue negotiations with the Battleship Texas Foundation. They were considering locating the historic ship at Pier 20 near the cruise ship terminals. The concerns were related to the location at Pier 20 interfering with the views and access of other Port tenants. They think it would be better at another location like Seawolf Park on Pelican Island. The ship may still end up in Galveston but it looks like it won't be right downtown.

@Galveston Steve Do you by any chance know what happens to Royal Caribbean’s current terminal once the new terminal is completed? Are they going to keep both or would it be a chance for other cruise lines to maybe come into Galveston as well? I would love to see Celebrity come although I doubt that would happen. Maybe Norwegian or Princess might come with a ship. 
If this has been posted before I apologize. I looked thru most of the pages and didn’t see it. 

1 hour ago, Oliver said:

@Galveston Steve Do you by any chance know what happens to Royal Caribbean’s current terminal once the new terminal is completed? Are they going to keep both or would it be a chance for other cruise lines to maybe come into Galveston as well? I would love to see Celebrity come although I doubt that would happen. Maybe Norwegian or Princess might come with a ship. 
If this has been posted before I apologize. I looked thru most of the pages and didn’t see it. 

Great question @Oliver. I'm assuming that once the new terminal opens, RCG would maximize that investment by sailing all of their ships from that new terminal.  Since they would already be paying rent on it I don't think they would want to also pay rent on the existing terminal. I'm definitely with you on having a Celebrity ship in Galveston!  That would be great.  They could easily have a 7-night ship on both Saturday and Sunday, plus 4 and 5-night ship/ships during the weekdays.

Prior to the Covid craziness, Carnival had announced a 4th ship for Galveston.  I assumed that 4th ship would force Carnival to use both of the existing terminals, which they have done sometimes in the past.  

The Port also has a fourth cruise terminal in their Master Plan. It would be located at the current Del Monte pier.  Del Monte's lease expires in 2023 I believe, and that would allow the Port to move them to another part of the Port. Harborside Drive from 10th Street to 27th Street would become "cruise ship row".

I just read @Matt’s Harmony dry dock blog, and noticed these comments:

” According to the shipyard, Jewel of the Seas and Symphony of the Seas will follow in May 2021, followed by Liberty of the Seas in July 2021.  “.  

So, IF Royal is able to begin cruising in July, I assume it excludes Liberty, who will be at dry dock location ?     Funny thing, though, Liberty does not show a break in its Galveston cruises schedule.    Any ideas?  Is it possible only Explorer will start off in Galveston?   

Just musing.   I am ready to cruise, and curious on Royal’s plan to bring us back to sea.  

p.s.  Shouldn’t Royal have already canceled the weeks planned for Liberty’s Drydock and transit?  

1 hour ago, Zurc said:

I just read @Matt’s Harmony dry dock blog, and noticed these comments:

” According to the shipyard, Jewel of the Seas and Symphony of the Seas will follow in May 2021, followed by Liberty of the Seas in July 2021.  “.  

So, IF Royal is able to begin cruising in July, I assume it excludes Liberty, who will be at dry dock location ?     Funny thing, though, Liberty does not show a break in its Galveston cruises schedule.    Any ideas?  Is it possible only Explorer will start off in Galveston?   

Just musing.   I am ready to cruise, and curious on Royal’s plan to bring us back to sea.  

p.s.  Shouldn’t Royal have already canceled the weeks planned for Liberty’s Drydock and transit?  

She is due for a technical drydock to get routine mandatory marine maintenance performed.  I'm guessing shipyard availability has been impacted by the virus with some work taking longer and schedules for a number of ships being impacted.  

The changing availability of space in shipyards is likely causing new plans to be considered for all ships, i.e. cargo, container, tanker and cruise ships.

The dust may not be settled on a Liberty shipyard visit in July so they may be waiting for greater confidence in the plan before committing to a change.  

Have Liberty in July. Hoping they can work out the logistics so we can go on the 4th.

Watching the live feed from one of the YouTube Vlogs showing the two Carnival ships coming in now. Even though they are not RCCL it is a great day to see cruise ship arriving for the first time in over a year in port!

On 4/27/2021 at 4:29 PM, Galveston Steve said:

The headline here should have been "Royal Caribbean Removes Cruise Terminal Contingency, Project Is A Go!" but I guess I'm just too optimistic ?.  Royal is being prudent by giving themselves the potential to delay the project if the CDC continues to screw over the cruise industry. I'm thrilled that RCI didn't outright cancel the contract like they had the right to do because now they are committed to Galveston.

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2021/04/27/royal-caribbean-asks-galveston-extra-time-complete-new-cruise-terminal-case-ships-cannot

They (and we) need to get a larger ship in there so isn't the new terminal is a must?  Already booked (for the 2nd time) on Allure in '23.

56 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

They (and we) need to get a larger ship in there so isn't the new terminal is a must?  Already booked (for the 2nd time) on Allure in '23.

Yes, the new terminal is a must for Oasis Class ships in Galveston.  At the beginning of the Covid craziness the port looked at the possibility of bringing Allure into the existing terminal and concluded it wasn't feasible, which resulted in the one year delay in the new terminal construction.

On 4/27/2021 at 12:54 PM, Galveston Steve said:

Yes, Vista and Breeze arrive in Galveston on Sunday.  They will be using the existing cruise terminals to vaccinate about 350 crew members across both ships starting next week.

https://www.galveston.com/webcams/cruisevideocam/

image-1779-1619985310114.thumb.jpg.26d0ede95dc6f58516238a541946d460.jpg