27 minutes ago, cruisellama said:

Any updated rumors to which Oasis class ship will show up after the port upgrade?  Last I heard it was Allure.

I have not heard anything. The new terminal will open in late 2022 at best.  With deployments only going out to Oct 2022, we may not hear anything for a while.

Royal Caribbean originally insisted that construction of the new terminal will start by April of 2021 but if cruises haven’t started up by then will they have the capital to start construction? They have already postponed cruises thru March. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see the construction date delayed again, even though we will all be obviously very disappointed. 

6 minutes ago, Oliver said:

Royal Caribbean originally insisted that construction of the new terminal will start by April of 2021 but if cruises haven’t started up by then will they have the capital to start construction? They have already postponed cruises thru March. I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see the construction date delayed again, even though we will all be obviously very disappointed. 

This is likely in their financial planning model.  Funds allocated using existing secured credit.

Worst case - Another $1B stock release will solve that issue.  

2 hours ago, Galveston Steve said:

I have not heard anything. The new terminal will open in late 2022 at best.  With deployments only going out to Oct 2022, we may not hear anything for a while.

Before all the chaos and associated delays, I had reservations on Allure out Galveston in Mar '22.   Ended up re-booking on Allure out of MIA for the same period.

52 minutes ago, twangster said:

This is likely in their financial planning model.  Funds allocated using existing secured credit.

Worst case - Another $1B stock release will solve that issue.  

I’m not so sure Twangster. I know you are very respected on the cruise boards, and mean no disrespect, but how can a bank continue to issue credit to a company that is losing millions of dollars a month and may still not be operating cruises in May? Of course the news of the vaccine coming is positive so I do believe things will go back to normal eventually, just not sure when. 

9 minutes ago, Oliver said:

I’m not so sure Twangster. I know you are very respected on the cruise boards, and mean no disrespect, but how can a bank continue to issue credit to a company that is losing millions of dollars a month and may still not be operating cruises in May? Of course the news of the vaccine coming is positive so I do believe things will go back to normal eventually, just not sure when. 

I don't disagree.   Somehow the market is accepting it though.  Crazy.  

Rumors that the Allure amp is getting back on the schedule as well.  Neither the Galveston terminal nor the Allure amp would be back on the table if they didn't have a financial plan to accomplish them.  

Galveston gave them a one year extension if I recall.  I'm not sure if another extension is feasible.  Perhaps they tried to float that idea and were shot down.  They may not have a choice.  

2 hours ago, Oliver said:

how can a bank continue to issue credit to a company that is losing millions of dollars a month and may still not be operating cruises in May?

Two good reasons.

1. No bank wants to repossess cruise ships. It's not something they are going to get value out of.

2. More importantly, cruise industry is a proven money maker. In the long run, they are good for it.  Banks and investment firms are looking at big picture, years in advance.  Day traders and cruise nerds are consumed with what's happening today, but investors invest in companies that they think over long haul (years) will return the investment. 

On 12/10/2020 at 1:53 PM, Matt said:

Two good reasons.

1. No bank wants to repossess cruise ships. It's not something they are going to get value out of.

2. More importantly, cruise industry is a proven money maker. In the long run, they are good for it.  Banks and investment firms are looking at big picture, years in advance.  Day traders and cruise nerds are consumed with what's happening today, but investors invest in companies that they think over long haul (years) will return the investment. 

yes and add the factor of "to big to fail" we have seen it happen before, an industry bailed out by either a government or big financial institutions.  It seems to be that if too many big business would collapse, the whole financial market would collapse similar to a domino effect.  It not just popular themes in SciFi, but could be a real possibility.

1 hour ago, CruiseGus said:

yes and add the factor of "to big to fail" we have seen it happen before, an industry bailed out by either a government or big financial institutions.  It seems to be that if too many big business would collapse, the whole financial market would collapse similar to a domino effect.  It not just popular themes in SciFi, but could be a real possibility.

As they say "owe the bank a dollar and the bank owns you. Owe the bank a billion dollars and you own the bank"

The Port of Galveston reported this week that Cruise Terminal 3 is still on track to begin construction in April 2021 to be ready to open in October 2022.  Allure of the Seas is still mentioned as the first ship to be based at the new terminal!

1475831380_ScreenShot2020-12-19at3_31_19PM.thumb.png.d704d0210898948d69595ce7a0df7952.png

• 2 weeks later...

Any Texas-area cruisers, there's a great deal on Liberty, for May 1, 2022.  

Balcony $565 pp, special C&A rate, and refundable deposit.  Inside rate ridiculously low also.  I didn't check out if it was refundable, as i priced the balcony.  When you look at the promos applied, it has no NRD listed.    And my confirmation lists Refundable deposit up to final payment date. 

On 12/28/2020 at 9:48 AM, Zurc said:

Any Texas-area cruisers, there's a great deal on Liberty, for May 1, 2022.  

Balcony $565 pp, special C&A rate, and refundable deposit.  Inside rate ridiculously low also.  I didn't check out if it was refundable, as i priced the balcony.  When you look at the promos applied, it has no NRD listed.    And my confirmation lists Refundable deposit up to final payment date. 

This is a good deal. The rate on interior cabins (where I like to stay) is $441 as I write this on 12/31/20.

I am guessing that the rates are so low because this is the first cruise after the free cruise credits expire. 

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, teddy said:

Fingers crossed for our Sept 5 sailing on Liberty.

If it does go as scheduled, we are planning on getting to Galveston a couple days early to see the area.

If you're down there, don't miss Space Center Houston (not really in Houston, actually closer to Galveston)

36 minutes ago, emmef said:

If you're down there, don't miss Space Center Houston (not really in Houston, actually closer to Galveston)

And if you're at the Space Center, continue east on NASA 1 to S.H. 146.  Turn right.  Cross the bridge and turn left in to the Kemah Boardwalk. It's always an interesting place. (BTW: if your hotel is in Galveston, you can continue south on 146 and it will drop you off at the Galveston causeway.)

50 minutes ago, emmef said:

@Galveston Steve I can't believe you left out Gaido's (3802 Seawall)!  It is a Galveston seafood restaurant that has been in continuous operation since 1911. www.gaidos.com

@emmef thank you for reading my original post so carefully! Many people agree with you about Gaidos, including my brother-in-law.  However after several visits we just didn't have a great experience.  I look at 3 main criteria: are the ingredients fresh/local, how is food preparation/taste, and how is the service.  Gaido's failed me on service and food preparation/taste each time, so that's why I left them off the list.  They have been in business a long time and a lot of people like them, but I just think there are better options.

I live in Baytown (about 45 mins. from Galveston) and I agree with Steve. Gaidos is so inconsistent that I don't recommend it anymore either. If you are a local and haven't tried Top Water in San Leon, I recommend it. Treking out there might be daunting for a visitor to the area, but well worth it if you are accustom to "off the beaten path" local places. 

A friend recommended I try out Flip Flops in Galveston. I'm an SFA alumni and it's owned by one as well. 

As @emmef says, everyone has their likes and dislikes, just like the debates about onboard specialty restaurants.  I haven't been to Top Water in a long time but that was always a good place for the seafood as well as the views of Galveston Bay!  Flip Flops is right on the beach in a remodeled tiki-hut structure that was closed for many years.  The remodel seemed to take forever (like a couple years), as do many Galveston restaurant startups.  I think the delays are related to Galveston politics but that's just my speculation.  I'll have to give it a try!

• 2 weeks later...

?  Short Caribbean deployments are starting to load on the website!

• Liberty heads to Fort Lauderdale on October 30, 2022 for 4-5 night cruises
  • Grandeur arrives in Galveston for 4-5 night cruises starting May 4, 2022 through November 2, 2022

This most certainly means a different ship is coming to Galveston in late 2022 for 7 night sailings!

1 hour ago, Galveston Steve said:

?  Short Caribbean deployments are starting to load on the website!

• Liberty heads to Fort Lauderdale on October 30, 2022 for 4-5 night cruises
  • Grandeur arrives in Galveston for 4-5 night cruises starting May 4, 2022 through November 2, 2022

This most certainly means a different ship is coming to Galveston in late 2022 for 7 night sailings!!!

And Adventure is headed your way as well! ?

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

And Adventure is headed your way as well! ?

She's coming to us this year though. Sadly she old news. I want to know who is replacing Liberty!  Will the new terminal be open by then? Are we one step closer to Star Class from Galveston?!?

5 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

She's coming to us this year though. Sadly she old news. I want to know who is replacing Liberty!  Will the new terminal be open by then? Are we one step closer to Star Class from Galveston?!?

I've heard through my travel agent that it is going to be Allure of the Seas. I'm waiting with bated breath for the official announcement, which I expect next week. 

I can't wait to get on the repositioning cruise and triumphantly ride Allure in to Galveston!

6 minutes ago, steverk said:

I've heard through my travel agent that it is going to be Allure of the Seas. I'm waiting with bated breath for the official announcement, which I expect next week. 

I can't wait to get on the repositioning cruise and triumphantly ride Allure in to Galveston!

That's what we have heard as well. Like you, I'm waiting to be able to book something for confirmation.  With this crazy past year,  who knows. They may decide to send a different O class here.

9 minutes ago, melmar02 said:

That's what we have heard as well. Like you, I'm waiting to be able to book something for confirmation.  With this crazy past year,  who knows. They may decide to send a different O class here.

A different O class would be OK too.  In fact, Allure is the only one that hasn't gone through an amplification.

In the meantime - I am booking a suite on Grandeur in fall 2020 to get those 4X points! Can't wait to book the inaugural of whatever Oasis class is coming - was so bummed to have to cancel our Allure sailing for this fall ?  However, I will happily take the replacement 7 night on Liberty if we would JUST START SAILING AGAIN ALREADY!!!