Liberty 2/25/18 7 Nights

twangster

IT'S CRUISE DAY!!!

I flew into Houston Hobby airport last night and stayed at an airport hotel.   My hotel had renovations underway which has been a theme for me recently.   It wasn't until breakfast when I saw the new lower 3 feet of drywall everywhere on the 1st floor that it dawned on me it was from Hurricane Harvey flood damage.   

I'm in my Lyft ride heading towards Galveston as I write this.  Just over an hour for $50.   ETA 10:10am.   

Light traffic on this Sunday morning and we made the terminal at 10:03am.  Quick drop of luggage and into the terminal to check in.  It looks like they just opened and there aren't many people here.  A group of 15 headed into the Suites/Pinnacle/Diamond Plus queue leaving the Diamond/Emerald/Platinum queue just to me.  I went to next available agent and... the computers went down.  Around 10:30 they came back online one by one.  Unfortunately for me and my neighbor our agent's computers didn't come back so they slid us over to working agents and away we went.  I wasn't too concerned because I knew we had to wait for boarding anyways.  Upstairs into the top tier waiting area it seems they had started boarding when I arrived upstairs but suffering from the same computer outage they had halted boarding. 

vIrZ96u.jpg

The upstairs area has a vendor area where they sell lanyards.

3Q9Svg6.jpg

I got some water from the dispensers and just sat down they started boarding again.  By 10:50am I was onboard.  Pretty easy boarding process despite the brief computer issue.  This trip is already starting off a lot smoother than my last Galveston departure on some other cruise line a few years ago (before I switched to Royal).

This seven night cruise will complete the Freedom class trilogy for me.  Freedom ✅.  Independence ✅.  Liberty ✅ . 

Leaving from Galveston I have two sea days, Roatán, Costa Maya, Cozumel, a sea day then back to Galveston.  Liberty has two primary itineraries.  This cruise is the more western of these western routes.  A nautical style map was on display in the Promenade.

DEsZR12.jpg

The promenade is adorned with a large Texas flag to greet us:

BzBY6tf.jpg

Café Promenade was open so I had a roast beef plus a turkey sandwich.  Let the food coma commence.

gkL4iL2.jpg

With some time to kill before cabins are available I decided to check out a few spots.

Main Dining Room

2587H6O.jpg

Helipad (of course)

7n75Zwd.jpg

It's an overcast day here in Galveston so I'll wait to take more pictures around the ship once we are in nicer weather.

I was pleased to discover O3b based Voom.  With that I can confirm everything Freedom class and newer has O3b Voom.

Zcq9dlz.jpg

With that it's almost time for cabins to be available.

Muster drill is outside but covered just like other Freedom class ships.  It's muster, what can I say, gotta do it.

The game 'Clue' just popped into my head... "Colonel Muster on deck 4 with a life jacket".

PQF63B2.jpg

Despite some low visibility conditions in the bay we departed on time.  Galveston is known for fog this time of year.  Overcast and low hanging clouds at sail away so I went to the spa raffle.  In keeping with tradition, I did not win.  

The diamond lounge was slammed busy.  Liberty has a dedicated suite lounge leaving what was the Diamond overflow on Indy to be the Diamond lounge.  I must have the missed the announcement to give it the old college try - "Let's see how many people we can fit in the Diamond lounge at once".  I tried to order an Amstel Light at a bar but since we were still within Texas waters no Amstel Light (not approved by Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission).  Doh!  Forgot about that Texas thing - must wait to be in international waters for the standard full bar menu to be available.  

Dinner was in the My Time MDR.  New menu style tonight.  I call it the "all-in-one" menu.  In the past a separate menu was offered after the meal for dessert.  The current menu includes dessert and you order all three courses at the beginning of the meal.  

T2CRczg.jpg

I was surprised to see Prime Rib on the first day and so I went with it.  Very good but maybe a little thin.  On the other hand I felt good after dinner, not overly stuffed, so perfect sized portion.  Apparently I was hungry and forgot to take pictures.

Welcome aboard show in the theater tonight.  John Blair is our cruise director.  So far so good.  Some good band music and a taste of the aerialists that will perform tomorrow.  On Liberty they explicitly ban all photography in all shows (not just flash photography) so no photos tonight.  

2 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Wonder if that "all in one" dinner menu is to speed things along?

That is my thought as well. Menu is for the most part the same as Oasis back in December 2016.

Experiencing it first had in January. I'm still mixed opinion of it. I do like knowing the dessert selection up front. But I don't like that feeling after eating the main course to quickly have a dessert plopped down. 

20161212104425-d28b4645-me.jpg

33 minutes ago, twangster said:

I was thinking about that.  That and possibly some savings as well by not having to manage and print a separate dessert menu. 

Service was good.  No complains. 

I think it is a good approach, not to have to find the waiter for the dessert menu.

The best would be if they can do two options like in some of the airlines business classes , one traditional menu were you wait between the different plates and one executive menu were you order everything and get most of the things on the same time , it can be good for people that still wants to eat in the MDR but do not have 1.5 - 2 hours (because shows or any other reasons).

Oh  and for sure I am going to follow , was wondering when is the next live blog :-)  

Cabin Tour!

Deck 7 Interior Cabin 7441

This is one of the new cabins added during the last dry dock.  Independence is going in for her dry dock soon and is slated to receive some of these cabin additions as well.  They are consuming public open space and squeezing in a handful more cabins.  For example what used to be a very large C&A loyalty area has been combined with the RC Online computer area freeing up space for more cabins.  On my Freedom and Indy sailings many of these public spaces were lightly used.  

In my case I on deck 7 in an area with four new cabins.  

rPTixSh.jpg

IUqKCxR.jpg

EMOY4TT.jpg

tk0AoEU.jpg

There are four outlets at the desk.  Two European power points and two North American outlets.  No USB power outlets.  No outlets by the bed, just a telephone jack.

nCLklfR.jpg

Baptojn.jpg

vDq6SOW.jpg

nFOJvIy.jpg

wGRzQrA.jpg

The cabin electrical includes an energy saving card slot to activate the lighting and air conditioning.   When I arrived the little cards to indicate 'privacy' or 'make up cabin' that you can stick in your cabin lock were stuffed in the card slot. 

Looks like a decent (if somewhat narrow) cabin. How is the width / access to the bed compared to other Interior class rooms you've booked? Is the noise level OK, given your right at mid-ship by the elevators?

Good to see the shower has a proper sliding door instead of a Hollywood Special grabby curtain!

On 2/26/2018 at 7:47 AM, JLMoran said:

Looks like a decent (if somewhat narrow) cabin. How is the width / access to the bed compared to other Interior class rooms you've booked? Is the noise level OK, given your right at mid-ship by the elevators?

Good to see the shower has a proper sliding door instead of a Hollywood Special grabby curtain!

I had interior cabins on both Freedom and Indy that were pretty much mirror images of each other.  This photo from Indy:

ToN8IQn.jpg

I find my cabin on Liberty easier to get around the bed and to access both sides.  This is largely due to the rounded bed found on many of the newer ships.  On Freedom/Indy access to the right side of the bed is a bit of a pain. 

I noticed some elevator lobby noise on day 1 right after cabins opened up but haven't heard much more.  I crashed early last night and wasn't bother by any.  Any noise I do hear is coming through the door (not through walls) and like any cabin, any where, loud talkers or laughers in the hall can be heard as they walk past your cabin.  

Given a choice I'd take this new cabin on Liberty.  Still has that new cabin smell.

6 minutes ago, Deedeelynn said:

Hi @twangster! Love your blogs! I'm going on the Freedom next month and we will be in Costa Maya as well! Never been to this port, wondering what to do?!? We have a group of seven and we don't want to pay for an excursion. Maybe a nice beach, drinks, some decent local food, safe! Thoughts!

The cruise port area in Costa Maya has a free pool.   Also, search for 'Krazy Lobster Mahahual'.  Cheap shuttle ride.  

If you are stuck on land, you may not like this next post.

It's time for a Windjammer breakfast.

P2CfBgt.jpg

Windjammer bar:

f9gHgG1.jpg

Fresh fruit as always:

q0xAjaJ.jpg

Lots of different breakfast choices

0LPDnDG.jpg

Donuts anyone?

dDrn51g.jpg

French toast and waffles covered:

YpF99hH.jpg

dql1WQf.jpg

Several flavors of pancakes, all covered:

TyDfJk1.jpg

Chocolate overdose available on board:

04TGG1r.jpg

j2kAteq.jpg

6ibu200.jpg

K0zrFQT.jpg

Scrambled eggs or scrambled eggs with Jalepeño and Salsa - because some like it hot.

x9Egauy.jpg

Lot of different teas.

0EBPEWU.jpg

3 hours ago, twangster said:

5a94398829cd2_LibertyWJam-10.jpg.6c1187bd66f3f21c8df8c024e62fed56.jpg

So firstly, I wasn't hungry but now I really am. I can see why norovirus (or any virus for that matter) would spread so easy with people putting the tongs back inside the food. (This is why I ALWAYS reach in the back under the top layer to try and get the safer stuff. 

Thanks @twangster so looking forward to next week.

Day 2 Dinner, 1st Formal Night

Menus are in the Diamond Lounge so I went up for a sneak peak.

LqPOQBm.jpg

I've got two hours to decide.  Thinking about a shrimp cocktail, Duck or Pork and I'm not sure about dessert.  Feeling the pounds coming on faster than I am walking them off.  Might just do some no sugar ice cream or skip dessert. 

53 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'm not sure about dessert.  Feeling the pounds coming on faster than I am walking them off.  Might just do some no sugar ice cream or skip dessert. 

What?! That's the best part!  If I was there, it would be Creme Brulee, Royal Cheesecake, and Royal Chocolate Cake :15_yum:

15 hours ago, twangster said:

I've got two hours to decide.  Thinking about a shrimp cocktail, Duck or Pork and I'm not sure about dessert.  Feeling the pounds coming on faster than I am walking them off.  Might just do some no sugar ice cream or skip dessert. 

You're on a cruise, that isn't something you should be concerned about lol. I would have 3 split between my wife and I, just because lol.

Last night for dinner I went with the "quack quack" as my head waiter called it.  (Duck)

It was good.  I was hoping for some Sherbet but it wasn't available.  My waiter said he would try to get some for the next night.

Captain's address in the promenade was at 8pm. 

In the theater last night was 'The Aerialists".  Very good.  The photography ban continues so no photos.

Today on day 3 it's another sea day.  We are approaching Cancun getting ready to make the turn South towards Roatán.

So far I'm liking Liberty.  In fact it may be my favorite of the Freedom class.

The mini golf course was relocated forward on the highest deck above the (newer) panoramic ocean view cabins.  

HyUvWh1.jpg

kd77a77.jpg

The St Tropez area features glass dividers to break the wind.  On Freedom this is open area and due to the winds it was lightly used on my cruise.  Staff didn't even bother to deploy loungers on Freedom.  On Liberty it's a nice quiet sundeck.  The glass dividers also provide some feeling of separation from other guests.

bhv5RYH.jpg

The adult only Solarium is very similar compared to sister ships Freedom and Independence. 

LnksT5J.jpg

EA3lA7G.jpg

YQE4OG0.jpg

The main pool area:

1DkPWqw.jpg

bk4kAM0.jpg

G7IhC1d.jpg

8tTrdJu.jpg

The H2O zone on Freedom and Indy is also a little nicer on Liberty.  Called Splash Away Bay it features the bucket of water drop and a structure kids can climb in with kiddie slides.  It's much more sophisticated compared to the H2O zone on Freedom or Indy.

s4xk8FZ.jpg

tHc5xqD.jpg

V2Z9ODd.jpg

The one thing I dislike is the addition of the Suite Lounge.  On Indy this was the primary Diamond club.  When Indy goes in for dry dock she too will receive this Suite Lounge. 

x39g6hG.jpg

The much smaller Diamond club on the starboard side has limited seating and with happy hour starting at 4:30pm on Liberty you had better show up by 3:30 pm if you want to sit in the Diamond club. 

I can see why they added the Suite Lounge.  On Oasis class ships Sky/Star Class benefits include a dedicated Suite Lounge and it's a great place for GS and above guests.  On older ships, GS and above benefits were lacking a similar Oasis class like venue.  I believe Royal is trying to add value for suite guests on more of the fleet and the Suite Lounge is a step in that direction.  

While it is a great benefit for Suite guests it really sucks for Diamond & Diamond Plus members.   With those ranks swelling suite guests were getting squeezed out of the Concierge Clubs.  While I can see why they made this move, they need to do something for D/D+.  Last night the Viking Crown Lounge held a private function.  The sign warning you that you may not take drinks out of the Diamond club remains but without any seating on deck 14 what choice do you have but to take your drink and head to a lower deck?  As more ships convert to Suite Lounge this is becoming an issue they'll need to address.

28 minutes ago, twangster said:

So far I'm liking Liberty.  In fact it may be my favorite of the Freedom class.

Why is it that every time you're on a ship, I start looking at their itinerary! HELP!!  Now instead of Freedom, I have to look at Liberty! LOL You make every cruise look better than the last one.

Maybe I should look at Liberty, that's one of my Golden Retrievers name! LOL Keep the pics coming please! 

11 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Why is it that every time you're on a ship, I start looking at their itinerary! HELP!!  Now instead of Freedom, I have to look at Liberty! LOL You make every cruise look better than the last one.

Maybe I should look at Liberty, that's one of my Golden Retrievers name! LOL Keep the pics coming please! 

My diabolical plot is working!

2 hours ago, twangster said:

5a957ff095386_LibertyDay2-13.jpg.e3303b9cf9ed58ad60ca26d996640988.jpg

It seems Freedom is the only Freedom Class ship without these swings.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

The H2O zone is also a little nicer on Liberty.  It features the bucket of water drop and a structure kids can climb in with kiddie slides.  It's much more sophisticated compared to the H2O zone on Freedom or Indy.

During the last refurb, they replaced H2O Zone with Splashaway Bay.  It was a test for a similar Splashaway Bay that was being added to Harmony.