Crown & Anchor Question

KathyC

May will be the first cruise my kids have been on since turning 18.  Their last cruise was in 2015 when they were 15 & 17, so they are now 18 & 20.  Today as I'm printing out our Set Sail passes I noticed while mine & Tony's passes list us as Platinum (we'll turn Emerald on this sailing, yay!) both my boys are being shown as Gold.  Now that they are 18, do they lose our status?  I thought they retained the parent's status level once they turned 18, but had to earn their own points to increase levels past the 18th birthday.  So I expected them to be listed as Platinum.  Am I incorrect? 

Edit to add:  Their first two cruises were under the "old" points system, so I can't unfortunately count their nights at sea to figure out what level they should be.  May have to create C&A online account to figure out what they gave them for points.  If you count nights at sea, Tony & I lost 2 in the change over.  We had a 10 night cruise that counted the same as a 3 night cruise.  Sucks. 

I can confirm that they are "cut loose" after they turn 18.  A month ago, when I called to register my own kids for C&A (to get our status since it's their first RC cruise), the agent explained to me that they will carry our status until they are 18, at which point they will be "cut loose" and whatever points they have at that point, that will be their status.  

4 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I can confirm that they are "cut loose" after they turn 18.  A month ago, when I called to register my own kids for C&A (to get our status since it's their first RC cruise), the agent explained to me that they will carry our status until they are 18, at which point they will be "cut loose" and whatever points they have at that point, that will be their status.  

Thank you!  That's what I figured was the case, but I've heard people comment that they stayed their parent's level until they accumulated the amount of points necessary to move up.  I feel like Hailee said it most recently.  I could be wrong.  Oh well, while we will move up to Emerald during our next cruise, they will move to Platinum based on their current points.  I signed them both up today for C&A online (they are individually wondering why they received an e-mail from RCCL welcoming them I'm sure, knowing they did nothing to initiate it haha) so I could see how many points they had.  

57 minutes ago, DocLC said:

After their first cruise, children are placed at the parent's level of membership, except Pinnacle, until 18. If they're both under 18, call C&A and get their status adjusted.

We're at the other end of that.  They are now both over 18 and I was questioning why they were Gold. 

50 minutes ago, KathyC said:

Thank you!  That's what I figured was the case, but I've heard people comment that they stayed their parent's level until they accumulated the amount of points necessary to move up.  I feel like Hailee said it most recently.  I could be wrong.  Oh well, while we will move up to Emerald during our next cruise, they will move to Platinum based on their current points.  I signed them both up today for C&A online (they are individually wondering why they received an e-mail from RCCL welcoming them I'm sure, knowing they did nothing to initiate it haha) so I could see how many points they had.  

The rep could have been wrong.  They often are.  But that's what they told me.  Perhaps @HLWIser can add to this?

15 hours ago, KathyC said:

15 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

The rep could have been wrong.  They often are.  But that's what they told me.  Perhaps @HLWIser can add to this?

Good morning everyone! So I have also received different answers from different C&A's reps when I called.. I think it might be time to start using a travel agent honestly (lol). I also had this issue as my tags were showing up as Diamond. I finally spoke with a supervisor and he told me that I will keep my parent's status from before I turned 18 (i was 16 when my father achieved Diamond Plus) even though I currently have 109 points, which makes me a Diamond by points alone. So, I have my own set of points but keep his Diamond + status. I now build on my points alone. It seems their computer system might not always be correct since this has happened to others I know as well! I would call the C&A line and explain that your sons information is incorrect and you just want to make sure they have the appropriate status.

1 hour ago, HLWIser said:

Good morning everyone! So I have also received different answers from different C&A's reps when I called.. I think it might be time to start using a travel agent honestly (lol). I also had this issue as my tags were showing up as Diamond. I finally spoke with a supervisor and he told me that I will keep my parent's status from before I turned 18 (i was 16 when my father achieved Diamond Plus) even though I currently have 109 points, which makes me a Diamond by points alone. So, I have my own set of points but keep his Diamond + status. I now build on my points alone. It seems their computer system might not always be correct since this has happened to others I know as well! I would call the C&A line and explain that your sons information is incorrect and you just want to make sure they have the appropriate status.

I had to read that twice to wrap my head around it ?

So basically whatever your parents status is when you turn 18, you remain there until you yourself have enough points to move up. Right?

The way HLWIser explained it is the way I understood it to work (son is about to turn 15 so we haven't experienced it yet though).

Status is not supposed to go down but you have to earn the next level on your own. (In our case it shouldn't matter since we take him on pretty much all our cruises so he is an actual diamond not just a grandfathered one and I don't see us making the next jump before he hits 18)

18 minutes ago, RestingBirds said:

This is all very confusing ?

So from what I've gathered, from these answers and whatnot, the kids either retain the parent's status, or drop down a level.  Either way it works out great for the kids.  Thanks RC!

So what from I understand from what @HLWIser and @jticarruthers is saying is that for example, if my kids are Diamond (because of us) when they turn 18 but they only have 60 cruise points on their own, then they will have to get another 20 to reach true Diamond status and another 115 to bump themselves up to Diamond+.  However, they will continue to reap the benefits of Diamond after they turn 18 even though they have not reached it yet on their own.  But yes, the way I see it, it's a win-win for the kids.  I wish my parents had starting cruising before I turned 18 lol!

1 hour ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I had to read that twice to wrap my head around it ?

So basically whatever your parents status is when you turn 18, you remain there until you yourself have enough points to move up. Right?

This is what I thought as well.  Who knows...they may have changed the program but I think this is still accurate.

40 minutes ago, RestingBirds said:

This is all very confusing ?

So from what I've gathered, from these answers and whatnot, the kids either retain the parent's status, or drop down a level.  Either way it works out great for the kids.  Thanks RC!

To make things MORE confusing, when I added my boyfriend (who has the same address so he was linked to my C&A account since he is considered a household member), he got "Diamond" Status since that is what my true points reflect. So, I'm Diamond Plus because of my parents, and he is Diamond because of me. LOL. I hope that makes sense.

Since my kids will turn Platinum on their own during the cruise, I'm not going to bother pushing the issue.  The only difference is what's on the set sail pass, and it's not like we're missing out on any extra benefits since we still get the BOGO milkshakes.  :D