Baby I.D.

RestingBird

Certified Birth Certificate, with the babies full name, which should match the name you entered on the cruise documentation.

By certified I mean the actual copy the state where the baby was born provided to you, most states have a raised imposed seal on the certificate so they can tell the difference between the real one and a copy.

Because of the importance of this, I would call RCCL and confirm this with them.

So we did our online check-in today, and it asks what sort of i.d. each person will be using to check in, so we put birth certificate for the little guy.  Thanks for the replies!  I was guessing that's all we needed but figured I'd ask here (not sure I'd get a solid answer if I called RC).  Also, we'll definitely look into getting him a passport as soon as he's old enough.

34 minutes ago, Beachbum said:

For the future your little guys is old enough now.  Both my kids had passports at 5 months and 6 months old.  Its kind of funny.  YOu have to hold them up in front of the blue screen for their picture.

lol, seriously?!  Wow.  Maybe we'll go ahead and do it when we get back.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, RestingBirds said:

lol, seriously?!  Wow.  Maybe we'll go ahead and do it when we get back.  Thanks!

Keep in mind that the passports for kids are only good for 5 years and renewals must be done in person with both parents present every time. This, you may want to wait until you're closer to your next trip before getting one. My son's will expire when he's 15, so we'll have to go through the process again and get the short passport instead of the 10 year one. 

It's still recommended that you travel with your child's birth certificate even if he or she had a passport as it's the only document that establishes that you are in fact the parents. 

52 minutes ago, Matt said:

We got passports for our kids when they were 6 months old.

Passports are just so much easier.

My sister and BIL did the same for my nephew and niece, both kids traveled overseas to Europe and Japan when they were under 12 months. (My niece was six months old when she went on her first cruise, she's almost four now.)

26 minutes ago, DocLC said:

It's still recommended that you travel with your child's birth certificate even if he or she had a passport as it's the only document that establishes that you are in fact the parents.

Is this something you recommend even for older teens? My kids are 17 and 14, both have passports, and we had only planned on bringing those after going through the time and effort to get them. It's easy enough to pull them from the safe deposit box before we go, but that's one of those items I'd really rather not be worried about carrying around with me in addition to the passports in this age of identity theft.

1 hour ago, JLMoran said:

Is this something you recommend even for older teens? My kids are 17 and 14, both have passports, and we had only planned on bringing those after going through the time and effort to get them. It's easy enough to pull them from the safe deposit box before we go, but that's one of those items I'd really rather not be worried about carrying around with me in addition to the passports in this age of identity theft.

I've never been asked for it, but I've read that it is something that is recommended. My son has been traveling internationally since just before his first birthday and the passport has been sufficient. With older kids, they just seem to accept their answers if asked who their parents are.