Adding passengers to an existing reservation

Here's an idea that I have been tossing around in my head lately but I cannot find the "official answer".  Was hoping someone here knows or has done it themselves.

I'm looking to potentially take advantage of Next Cruise in two weeks and book a cruise for March break 2020.  Now, this is a bit far off and although I can generally predict school calendars pretty accurately here in Ontario, there's always going to be the possibility that I might predict wrong.  I was thinking that instead of booking all 4 of us (hubby and 2 kids) that I would just book hubby and I for now and add my kids in later as soon as the 2020 school calendar comes out (I would know by April 2019).  I cannot book with a refundable deposit because I am going to book a suite.  That I already know.  So I want to just book hubby and I for now in the event that I predict wrong, then I'm only out $200 change fee instead of $400. 

So question is, is there an additional cost for adding passengers at a later date prior to final deposit??  Or is it just as simple as paying the 3rd/4th passenger fee?  I know I run the risk of the ship exceeding the lifeboat capacity but I'm willing to risk it because I would know by April 2019 for a March 2020 sail date.  So 11 months gives me a good buffer, I think.  Or am I being careless here?  Do ships normally exceed their lifeboat capacity 11 months in advance?

I could also wait until next spring to book it but I am afraid that the room I want will go.  It's a March break cruise, on Oasis, which will be "revitalized" by then so I don't know if I want to wait it out.  Any thoughts or ideas or comments appreciated. :12_slight_smile:

My wife and I made a Next Cruise booking in October 2016 for July 2017, which circumstances required us to postpone twice. The second change was to October 2018. Still can't use the booking at that time, so she re-booked (with the same booking number) for June 2019 with two friends instead of with me. There were no issues with making that change.

You are the expert and fully aware of the risk/reward.  IMO even on spring break, it would be hard to get to lifeboat capacity 11 months out. Only recently (well after final payment) have I not been able to price my Harmony spring break cruise for staterooms of 4. Most people are not that big of planners.

Even it was full 11 months out, I think there would be enough cancellations before final payment to allow you to go.

Sabrina, my concern would be that they may want to reprice your entire fare when you go to add the children.  Maybe it wouldn’t be a big change in fare and maybe it would.  I think it makes sense to try and minimize the potential to lose deposit money.  Just not sure that repricing would save you anything in the long run.  I really don’t know the correct answer !

Here is what I’ve been rolling around in my head the past few months.  What if you booked a Jr Suite as a place holder and then upgraded to a full suite once you have a firm date ?  The risk, of course, is that you would not get your best choice of suites but the risk of losing your deposit is -0-.  I think this whole NRD thing for suites totally stinks but it is what it is.

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I think this whole NRD thing for suites totally stinks but it is what it is.

I think it stinks too. I really don't know why they don't offer both. Their sister company does (of which I"m booked on a few cruises! LOL) I pay $200 more for that luxury to cancel. I've already switched sailings, cancelled and added and thankfully no issue with not getting monies back. I took a gamble on my upcoming Grandeur and my July 2019 Adventure. And of course have the insurance. @Sabrinaklai can you call them and just ask what would happen? It's all hypothetical at this point, and the cruise snob that you are, if you don't get that Suite you want you will have a fit! LOL (speaking from another cruise snob):2_grimacing:

1 hour ago, HeWhoWaits said:

My wife and I made a Next Cruise booking in October 2016 for July 2017, which circumstances required us to postpone twice. The second change was to October 2018. Still can't use the booking at that time, so she re-booked (with the same booking number) for June 2019 with two friends instead of with me. There were no issues with making that change.

I'm assuming this is before NRD rolled around because this can't be possible now?

1 hour ago, melski94 said:

You are the expert and fully aware of the risk/reward.  IMO even on spring break, it would be hard to get to lifeboat capacity 11 months out.

That's what I figured too.  The March break cruise on Anthem that I am going on in two weeks maxed out in October.  That was 5 months out....

34 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Sabrina, my concern would be that they may want to reprice your entire fare when you go to add the children.  I really don’t know the correct answer !

This is the part where I don't know either.  Could it be as simple as adding on a 3rd/4th passenger or that totally defeats the purpose if they re-price it!  And I know I won't qualify for Kids Sail Free because it's going to likely be a black out date.

36 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Here is what I’ve been rolling around in my head the past few months.  What if you booked a Jr Suite as a place holder and then upgraded to a full suite once you have a firm date ? 

That's not going to work either because I am almost positive the room I want won't be there by April 2019.  Which actually brings me to my next question, can I book a higher suite category and change it to a lower suite category without incurring the change fee??  I hate this NRD policy too....

32 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

can you call them and just ask what would happen? It's all hypothetical at this point, and the cruise snob that you are, if you don't get that Suite you want you will have a fit! LOL (speaking from another cruise snob):2_grimacing:

I am going to call.  I just haven't decided who to call at this point.  I hate talking to the RC reps because they can't their fact straight.  Or should I call the C&A number?  They are sometimes more knowledgeable?  I figured some wise people might have better insight first.  And yes, the cruise snob in me agrees with you 100% lol 

UPDATE:

So I learned something new today...Thank you @Boston Babe for the info to the Royal Vacation Planner.  This was one of the most pleasant conversations I have ever had with any RC rep.  I still don't quite understand the role of these dedicated vacation planners.  They still work for Royal and you can still transfer your reservation to your own TA afterwards.  Do they just provide more personalized service because you can keep calling the same rep over and over again? 

Anyway, my question yesterday was what would happen to the 3rd/4th guest if adding them in after a period of time.  Well, it turns out, @WAAAYTOOO you were onto something.  When adding additional guests to a reservation with 2 people on it already, the additional guests would pay prevailing rates.  However, if you book 3 guests initially, then all remaining guests would have their rates locked in at the rate of the 3rd guest at the time of booking.  I got all of this in writing too.  Thought it was interesting because I have never come across that before.

Jumping in late and you already have the answer.

I can confirm: If you book two and add a third+, it will reprice. Still will happen even if they offer kids sail free promotion. Also to add, any price drop become tricky. If the first and second go down, but the third+ goes up. You better hope that the drop on first and second wipes out the increase on third+. Now the one good thing, if third+ is dropped the price for first and second will remain.

Can also confirm: Adding a more guests once the third is on the reservation will not cause a reprice and will be charged equal to what the third is. Just not sure with some type of super special promo rate if it would still apply (again kids sail free comes to mind).

A couple of years ago my parents booked a fly cruise on Rhapsody.  Then my Dad was ill so they offered it to me and a friend for us just to pay the balance.  I called the travel agent who said we each had to pay £150 to change the names on the booking and the balance.  I paid the £300 (balance not due at that point).  The company phoned me back a short while later and said as my parents weren't going the original booking would be cancelled and my friend and I would have to book from scratch at that day's price.  It was super-expensive (my parents had booked early and got a bargain) so I had to cancel.  It then took about a week for my £300 to be refunded.

The only good thing - and it wasn't expected - was that because the company had messed things up with me and given me incorrect information they agreed to refund my parents their deposit

11 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Also to add, any price drop become tricky. If the first and second go down, but the third+ goes up. You better hope that the drop on first and second wipes out the increase on third+. Now the one good thing, if third+ is dropped the price for first and second will remain.

Is this still the case if you have 3 on the reservation to begin with?  I'm likely going to go with booking 3 into the original reservation and then adding the 4th later.  That way I'll lock the price but I'm not clear on what you are saying here regarding the price drops?  KSF is likely not going to affect this because I'm willing to bet it will be a black out date in mid-march.

1 hour ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Is this still the case if you have 3 on the reservation to begin with?  I'm likely going to go with booking 3 into the original reservation and then adding the 4th later.  That way I'll lock the price but I'm not clear on what you are saying here regarding the price drops?  KSF is likely not going to affect this because I'm willing to bet it will be a black out date in mid-march.

Best to give an example...

Say person 1&2 are $1000 each, additional $400 each. Price drops on 1&2 to $950, but additional becomes $500 each.

This point with one additional it is a wash. Two additional it is an increase.

To clarify: When I mentioned third dropped. Ment dropped off the reservation.

Added: Reverse, using the orignal 1&2 at $1000 and additional for $400. If additional goes down to $300 but 1&2 goes up to $1100. Then you would end up with an increase with 3 and a wash with 4.

So it all becomes a numbers game and have to strategize if things should be factored ultimately with 2, 3, or 4...

18 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

if you book 3 guests initially, then all remaining guests would have their rates locked in at the rate of the 3rd guest at the time of booking

I guess you do learn something new every day.  This is great information !  We usually just book with the 2 of us so we've never come across this issue but it's definitely great information.  Thanks for sharing this !

4 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

I guess you do learn something new every day.  This is great information !  We usually just book with the 2 of us so we've never come across this issue but it's definitely great information.  Thanks for sharing this !

Thank you for bringing it up.  I never would have thought to ask if it wasn't for you ?

• 3 years later...
On 2/23/2018 at 3:04 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Anyway, my question yesterday was what would happen to the 3rd/4th guest if adding them in after a period of time.  Well, it turns out, @WAAAYTOOO you were onto something.  When adding additional guests to a reservation with 2 people on it already, the additional guests would pay prevailing rates.  However, if you book 3 guests initially, then all remaining guests would have their rates locked in at the rate of the 3rd guest at the time of booking.  I got all of this in writing too.  Thought it was interesting because I have never come across that before.

Thank you for the info.  I am going to try to add a 4th to my already booked 3 person reservation and I was worried the entire thing would get repriced because now guests #1 and #2 fare went up by almost $800 since I booked.  So if I'm interpreting correctly, if Guest #3's total fare is showing as $317.61 (assuming port fees are the same) on my invoice, that's what I should expect to pay for Guest #4? I just want to be prepared in case I'm told something different.

16 minutes ago, Drewmommy said:

Thank you for the info.  I am going to try to add a 4th to my already booked 3 person reservation and I was worried the entire thing would get repriced because now guests #1 and #2 fare went up by almost $800 since I booked.  So if I'm interpreting correctly, if Guest #3's total fare is showing as $317.61 (assuming port fees are the same) on my invoice, that's what I should expect to pay for Guest #4? I just want to be prepared in case I'm told something different.

This is correct. I've added someone months after an initial booking, and they are paying the same rate as the original passengers.

27 minutes ago, Drewmommy said:

16 minutes ago, GregD said:

This is correct. I've added someone months after an initial booking, and they are paying the same rate as the original passengers.

Yes.  It should be.  If you already have 3 on the original, anyone you add at this point should be paying what #3 is paying, just like what @GregD said.  I did this recently too and the price held.

Its been a while but I added two years ago with zero problem. More recently (2018) I added my Fiance's daughter yo a reservation just a few days before going... Again no problem. What I am curious about though is "changing" guests . My next four were booked well in advance. I tried to guess school dates as well... Not sure how easy it will be substituting if the situation arises. Matt in one of his live shows seemed to say it was pretty easy? I hope so... 

3 hours ago, deep1 said:

Its been a while but I added two years ago with zero problem. More recently (2018) I added my Fiance's daughter yo a reservation just a few days before going... Again no problem. What I am curious about though is "changing" guests . My next four were booked well in advance. I tried to guess school dates as well... Not sure how easy it will be substituting if the situation arises. Matt in one of his live shows seemed to say it was pretty easy? I hope so... 

I actually asked my TA about this today. He said that names on a reservation can be changed up to the point that a manifest is sent to the ship, without it being an issue. That's apparently about 2 weeks before sail date.

• 11 months later...
On 2/23/2018 at 6:04 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

UPDATE:

So I learned something new today...Thank you @Boston Babe for the info to the Royal Vacation Planner.  This was one of the most pleasant conversations I have ever had with any RC rep.  I still don't quite understand the role of these dedicated vacation planners.  They still work for Royal and you can still transfer your reservation to your own TA afterwards.  Do they just provide more personalized service because you can keep calling the same rep over and over again? 

Can I get I for the rep? @bostonbabe

On 2/22/2018 at 1:56 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Here's an idea that I have been tossing around in my head lately but I cannot find the "official answer".  Was hoping someone here knows or has done it themselves.

I'm looking to potentially take advantage of Next Cruise in two weeks and book a cruise for March break 2020.  Now, this is a bit far off and although I can generally predict school calendars pretty accurately here in Ontario, there's always going to be the possibility that I might predict wrong.  I was thinking that instead of booking all 4 of us (hubby and 2 kids) that I would just book hubby and I for now and add my kids in later as soon as the 2020 school calendar comes out (I would know by April 2019).  I cannot book with a refundable deposit because I am going to book a suite.  That I already know.  So I want to just book hubby and I for now in the event that I predict wrong, then I'm only out $200 change fee instead of $400. 

So question is, is there an additional cost for adding passengers at a later date prior to final deposit??  Or is it just as simple as paying the 3rd/4th passenger fee?  I know I run the risk of the ship exceeding the lifeboat capacity but I'm willing to risk it because I would know by April 2019 for a March 2020 sail date.  So 11 months gives me a good buffer, I think.  Or am I being careless here?  Do ships normally exceed their lifeboat capacity 11 months in advance?

I could also wait until next spring to book it but I am afraid that the room I want will go.  It's a March break cruise, on Oasis, which will be "revitalized" by then so I don't know if I want to wait it out.  Any thoughts or ideas or comments appreciated. :12_slight_smile:

Just to answer the first basic question - On a few occasions, I've booked cruises, with Royal, and then added another couple in later.  No problem, no extra charges, just additional deposit.  The additional people, that were added much after the original booking did get the "deal at the time/deal of the day", I think it was usually 30% off and some OBCs.  

• 5 months later...
21 minutes ago, TMT said:

My question is how close to my cruise date can I add a passenger to my room?  

The problem with removing someone from your reservation is it will almost certainly trigger a price change, and likely it will cost you more since the solo rate will drive the price up.

If you booked 2 people in your cabin and you know a couple days before the cruise that person cannot come, my advice is leave them on the reservation and just have them no-show. Your cruise fare will remain the same and you'll actually get a refund for that person's port fees and taxes.

If you want to do a name change (swap out person 2 for someone else) that can be done up to a couple days before the cruise sails with no price change.

40 minutes ago, TMT said:

I’m single and cruise with two couples. I’m always hoping to find someone to share a room with, since I pay almost the same as two people. My question is how close to my cruise date can I add a passenger to my room?  

Adding another passenger will trigger a re-pricing.  Generally speaking, the closer to sail date, the higher the re-pricing would be.  You would be able to add a new person probably up until 48-72 hours prior to sailing but it would most likely be very pricey to do that.

It won't help you this time, but in the future, I would suggest that you book reservations going forward for 2 people rather than for yourself, alone.  Just use a "ghost" name for the second person.  Then, if you find someone to go along with you, all you have to do is change the name of the "ghost" to your new companion and there would be no price change.  If you do not manage to find a companion for that sailing, it will not hurt anything for you to just show up solo and the "ghost" would be a no-show.  You would not get any refund on the cruise fare for the "ghost" but you would get a refund for the "ghost's" taxes and port fees.  As you already noted, there is very little difference in the cruise fare for a solo vs 2 people, so you really aren't risking much to do it this way.