Explain Voom

LadyB

Guest toodle68
36 minutes ago, twangster said:

I am planning to do a separate thread on using a travel router onboard.  

Oh good..  I thought a router was not possible since you had to log on and authenticate..

13 hours ago, twangster said:

Consider a portable travel router.  I use one to share a Voom plan with multiple devices.  I use it primarily in my cabin so my laptop and phone can both be connected at the same time.  While its a $45 investment that is one time and can be used on future cruises.  That's two days of Voom.  It doesn't do as much outside of the cabin though, unless you want to carry it around with a battery pack.  I plan to do a write up on Liberty next week explaining how to use one.

Hmm...so this might be a dumb question (I get pretty lost in these tech discussions) but if I had one of these, then all 4 of us could use VOOM in the stateroom even if we only have a 2 device plan?  My kids will be overjoyed if the answer is yes....

59 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Hmm...so this might be a dumb question (I get pretty lost in these tech discussions) but if I had one of these, then all 4 of us could use VOOM in the stateroom even if we only have a 2 device plan?  My kids will be overjoyed if the answer is yes....

The short answer is yes. The slightly longer answer is that I believe you'll need to have one of your two device logins tied up all the time with the router, unless you feel comfortable going through the connection step every time you go back to your cabin; @twangster can qualify that as far as how easily one can re-connect after the first-time setup when you board.

8 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

The short answer is yes. The slightly longer answer is that I believe you'll need to have one of your two device logins tied up all the time with the router, unless you feel comfortable going through the connection step every time you go back to your cabin; @twangster can qualify that as far as how easily one can re-connect after the first-time setup when you board.

Ok...eagerly waiting @twangster's thread on how to use one of these things onboard...did I mention I leave in 14 days ?

Good thing Amazon can ship next day!

4 hours ago, twangster said:

I have an older one and a newer one.  

TP-Link MR3040:  Pro's - small with self contained battery.  Con's - Long since discontinued, no firmware updates, 2.4 GHz only, have had mixed success with.  More fiddling to get it to work.

MR3040-74.jpg.b12e82bb628a568c635221c87802e39f.jpg

TP-Link AC750 TL-WR902AC:  Pro's - 2.4 & 5 GHz bands, current model, good experience so far.  Con's - No internal battery but can be paired with an external battery and carried in a pocket or backpack.

5a8edef4d64cd_AnthemRouter-1.jpg.808bcf8ba8f16e4058592d71eeffccd5.jpg

There is another potential benefit of using a travel router.  Ship wifi access points are in the hallways.  The ship's access point may be down the hall away from your cabin.  Cabins have a lot of metal including the door.   Sometimes the wifi signal isn't that good inside each cabin and if your bed is further away from the door the signal can be really weak in bed or for your device on the nightstand each night.  The travel router connects to the ship wifi and then broadcasts its own wifi that your devices latch onto.  In that sense it is like a repeater than be placed closer to the door where ship wifi is stronger and since it is generating its own wifi within your cabin your devices should have little trouble connecting to it.   

In another thread someone asked about newer units just released with all the latest and greatest wifi standards and >1Gbps throughput. In my opinion I don't need all that when traveling at a higher cost.  I also don't want the most powerful AP that could interfere with the ship wifi and catch the attention of onboard IT.  

I am planning to do a separate thread on using a travel router onboard.  

I would be interested in learning how to do this too!

On 2/22/2018 at 12:31 PM, Sabrinaklai said:

Ok...eagerly waiting @twangster's thread on how to use one of these things onboard...did I mention I leave in 14 days ?

Good thing Amazon can ship next day!

On 2/22/2018 at 1:40 PM, whitsmom said:

I would be interested in learning how to do this too!

On 2/22/2018 at 9:37 AM, Digmenow said:

...That said, embarking in 10 days... 

I've look at a new post, no sense getting this thread any more off track.

• 1 year later...