What to do with luggage between flight and embarkation\debarkation

KarenPinNC

Newbie\first time poster here.  I've searched the boards and don't see an answer to my question, so here goes.

Sailing on Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore 9/13-9/22 (Mother\Daughter get away).  Flying in to BWI and landing at 7:25 am.  Current plan is to Uber from BWI to the port.  From what I'm reading, the earliest we can get to the port is around 10. We're trying to figure out a plan of what to do between the time we land and heading to the port, especially as we'll have luggage.  Suggestions?

The bigger concern is the day we return.  Mom's return flight is at 4:20 and mine is 4:55.  We would like to explore Baltimore, at least the Inner Harbor, but can't figure out what to do with our luggage.  My first thought was to go ahead and check in at the airport and then go explore, but I'm reading that the earliest we can do that is 4 hours before flight time. 

Any ideas are appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

32 minutes ago, KarenPinNC said:

Newbie\first time poster here.  I've searched the boards and don't see an answer to my question, so here goes.

Sailing on Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore 9/13-9/22 (Mother\Daughter get away).  Flying in to BWI and landing at 7:25 am.  Current plan is to Uber from BWI to the port.  From what I'm reading, the earliest we can get to the port is around 10. We're trying to figure out a plan of what to do between the time we land and heading to the port, especially as we'll have luggage.  Suggestions?

The bigger concern is the day we return.  Mom's return flight is at 4:20 and mine is 4:55.  We would like to explore Baltimore, at least the Inner Harbor, but can't figure out what to do with our luggage.  My first thought was to go ahead and check in at the airport and then go explore, but I'm reading that the earliest we can do that is 4 hours before flight time. 

Any ideas are appreciated.  Thank you in advance.

For the return flight after your cruise, check out the Luggage Valet program.  For a fee ($25 last time I cruised), Royal will take your luggage from your state room the night before you depart, take it to the airport and check it in, and you won't see it again until you're at your final destination.  RC will also check you into your return flight and provide you with your boarding pass. 

9 minutes ago, ABFrenchie said:

For the return flight after your cruise, check out the Luggage Valet program.  For a fee ($25 last time I cruised), Royal will take your luggage from your state room the night before you depart, take it to the airport and check it in, and you won't see it again until you're at your final destination.  RC will also check you into your return flight and provide you with your boarding pass. 

This would be perfect, but it looks like currently RC only offers it from Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral.

1 hour ago, ABFrenchie said:

I like that option a lot!

@KarenPinNC

Out of curiosity, I called the Hyatt Regency which is just across the (very wide) street from the Inner Harbor to see if their bellhop would hold luggage even if one was not a guest at the hotel but no dice.  You might try some of the others with the same request, perhaps for a small 'parking' fee.

Edit: Google is our friend!  Read the suggestions at the link below.

Luggage storage for 12 hours

This is the place that is mentioned in the link above and is a few blocks from the Inner Harbor but is a pretty safe walk or catch a cab/Uber.

HI Baltimore Hostel

17 W Mulberry Street 
Baltimore, Maryland 21201 

Call 1 (410) 576-8880
[email protected]

The train station is a novel idea as well since you can catch the train to BWI pretty cheaply as long as you don't mind schlepping your bags.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 5:38 AM, Digmenow said:

@KarenPinNC

Out of curiosity, I called the Hyatt Regency which is just across the (very wide) street from the Inner Harbor to see if their bellhop would hold luggage even if one was not a guest at the hotel but no dice.  You might try some of the others with the same request, perhaps for a small 'parking' fee.

Edit: Google is our friend!  Read the suggestions at the link below.

Luggage storage for 12 hours

This is the place that is mentioned in the link above and is a few blocks from the Inner Harbor but is a pretty safe walk or catch a cab/Uber.

HI Baltimore Hostel

17 W Mulberry Street 
Baltimore, Maryland 21201 

Call 1 (410) 576-8880
[email protected]

The train station is a novel idea as well since you can catch the train to BWI pretty cheaply as long as you don't mind schlepping your bags.

Thanks for the info and thanks for calling the Hyatt.  I've been googling my heart out but not finding very good info. 

I had come across the train idea, but I think it is more trouble than it is worth for a few hours.

As an FYI, once we were at the airport post-cruise about 6 hours before our flight.  The airline wouldn't let us check our bags because it was more that 4 hours until our flight was scheduled to leave.  Also once out of San Juan we had to wait an hour for them to even man the counter to begin taking bags. 

So the airport drop may not be an option. 

2 hours ago, LaurieB said:

I would rent a car instead of using Uber. That way you can get around better and have a place to store your luggage. 

This may be the most viable option.  It is going to kill some time, though, to Uber to the airport, rent the car, then drive back to the inner harbor.  I had hoped to do an Enterprise Pick You up from the Enterprise office in the inner harbor and then just return the car to BWI, but they tack on about 60 to the rental car price to do that.

If the Hyatt suggestion pans out, that's probably your best option.  Taxi/Uber from the port to there and then to the Airport.  BWI isn't far from the Inner Harbor, but it's also not across the street like in Port Everglades.  You'll kill 45-60 minutes getting to the airport, renting a car, going park to the Harbor and parking.   Inner Harbor is a great place to walk around.  Hope it all works out for you.