New England/ Canada?

HLWIser

Good afternoon! My boyfriend and I just returned from our 5 day repositioning on Adventure and loved it so much that we booked her again for August 31 - September 7th for New England and Canada. I have only done the Caribbean before... we are really interested in seeing New England and Canada, enjoying beer, lobster, sightseeing, etc, and I know this attracts a much older crowd, but will there be any other young cruisers? Just curious what the demographics look like on those sailings.

29 minutes ago, HLWIser said:

on Adventure and loved it so much

Wow, that's great to hear about Adventure! How was it? Lots of refurbishing? I"m so glad you had a great time. We are booked on her for next years NE/Canada and are looking forward to it. You will probably have an older crowd but hey even us older ones can have some fun! LOL. I think you should go for it.  I believe there are a few on this board that has done this cruise. Looks like you will be sailong over Labor Day so it's hard to say with younger families too.

We LOVE this itinerary and have been on these cruises at least 4 times with the last being in september.  Boston, Portland, and Saint John all have some great breweries if you like beer.  We have done the maine beer bus tour in portland, but this past year we took a lyft to Allagash brewery and did their free tour and tasting on our own!  I highly recommend this.  Plus there are a few smaller breweries across the street, and then you can have the lyft or uber take you back to shipyard brewing and then walk back to the ship.  In Saint John, we did the uncorked tours walking tour last year which I also highly recommend!!!    We left from boston last september, but on our previous cruise stop there, we did the tour and tasting at Harpoon brewing ( you can walk from the ship), and then took an uber to Sam Adams.  ( I had signed up for both tastings ahead of time online).  After sam adams, I highly recommend taking the free shuttle to Doyle's ( best lobster roll ever!!)

7 minutes ago, Floski said:

We are exploring taking this cruise next August ('19), before the hurricane season starts up (not as much worried about the cruise, but living in Charleston, I worry about my house!).

I love the itinerary, and love craft beer, too, so it will be a lot of fun.  Allagash is fantastic!

The Allagash tour was one of our favorites!  I can't believe it is free!

I was 30 when we went, and was definitely one of the youngest on board.  We did see a honeymoon couple who looked like they were in their 20's.

The quest was a riot, even though the cruise director was on the mellow side.  That 40's and 50's crowd definitely let loose, lol.  Best part was watching some ladies trying to take various articles of clothing off...apparently they haven't tried that quickly in a while.

Sailed the 9 night Canada/New England end of August last year (2017) on Anthem. Never had the impression I was the youngest on board (I'm in my early 30's). Overall thought it was a good mix of ages. More towards the young family crowd. Think the ship being Anthem is what the younger draw was.

Now a 9 night over Thanksgiving a few years back on Vision out of Tampa. That one was a different story...

14 hours ago, CGTLH said:

Sailed the 9 night Canada/New England end of August last year (2017) on Anthem. Never had the impression I was the youngest on board (I'm in my early 30's). Overall thought it was a good mix of ages. More towards the young family crowd. Think the ship being Anthem is what the younger draw was.

Now a 9 night over Thanksgiving a few years back on Vision out of Tampa. That one was a different story...

Good point about Anthem.  If I were a family looking to go up there and my choices were Serenade and Anthem I'd definitely choose Anthem if money allowed.  We also went in late October when school was already back in session.

Was Quebec in your itinerary?  That's one of my bucket list cruises.

6 minutes ago, RestingBirds said:

Good point about Anthem.  If I were a family looking to go up there and my choices were Serenade and Anthem I'd definitely choose Anthem if money allowed.  We also went in late October when school was already back in session.

Was Quebec in your itinerary?  That's one of my bucket list cruises.

This is a case where the ports you want to see will dictate which ship you take. Only Adventure goes to Quebec, and then only on the longer 10-night open jaw fall foliage cruises in September and October. And on any cruises on Adventure, you will not have a port stop in Boston; the first stop is in either Bar Harbor or Portland, ME, and then it's all Canadian ports (Saint John and Halifax; and then on the longer sailings only Sydney and/or Charlottestown followed by Quebec).

Anthem, on the other hand, stops in Boston before going up to Maine and Canada; but the only Canadian ports it visits are Saint John and Halifax.

20 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

Wow, that's great to hear about Adventure! How was it? Lots of refurbishing? I"m so glad you had a great time. We are booked on her for next years NE/Canada and are looking forward to it. You will probably have an older crowd but hey even us older ones can have some fun! LOL. I think you should go for it.  I believe there are a few on this board that has done this cruise. Looks like you will be sailong over Labor Day so it's hard to say with younger families too.

It was amazing!! I had every intention of taking lots of pictures, but I ended up just relaxing and leaving my phone in the stateroom the whole time. LOL. A lot of my fellow cruisers took pics and posted them on the Adventure of the Seas - past, present, and future cruisers facebook group if you want to take a look. The carpet in the room was new, as well as a new chair. The Windjammer had sinks for washing hands right at the entrance (not sure if this was added at drydock but looked brand new), everything smelled new and fresh around the ship. The public areas were amazing - nice and clean. It did not look like they were doing any more work in the public areas.. it looked mostly finished. Oh and Izumi in the Promenade! We did not eat there but it was finished and had people dining there every evening. I am so excited to go on this boat again! I honestly loved Adventure more than my last few trips on Oasis class ships.. those are just SO big that it almost feels hard to relax, if that makes sense. Voyager class seems like the perfect size for me.

21 hours ago, cyndicruiser said:

We LOVE this itinerary and have been on these cruises at least 4 times with the last being in september.  Boston, Portland, and Saint John all have some great breweries if you like beer.  We have done the maine beer bus tour in portland, but this past year we took a lyft to Allagash brewery and did their free tour and tasting on our own!  I highly recommend this.  Plus there are a few smaller breweries across the street, and then you can have the lyft or uber take you back to shipyard brewing and then walk back to the ship.  In Saint John, we did the uncorked tours walking tour last year which I also highly recommend!!!    We left from boston last september, but on our previous cruise stop there, we did the tour and tasting at Harpoon brewing ( you can walk from the ship), and then took an uber to Sam Adams.  ( I had signed up for both tastings ahead of time online).  After sam adams, I highly recommend taking the free shuttle to Doyle's ( best lobster roll ever!!)

Thank you so much for all the recommendations! That sounds amazing, and I think my boyfriend is going to LOVE all of those!

3 hours ago, HLWIser said:

I honestly loved Adventure more than my last few trips on Oasis class ships.. those are just SO big that it almost feels hard to relax, if that makes sense. Voyager class seems like the perfect

See @Sabrinaklai another fellow cruiser who feels like I do!! LOL and now you want me to book Symphony! LOL  Thank you @HLWIser I am so excited about this cruise, but it's another year away. that's ok, I have 3 booked in between!:15_yum:

Just now, Boston Babe said:

See @Sabrinaklai another fellow cruiser who feels like I do!! LOL and now you want me to book Symphony! LOL  Thank you @HLWIser I am so excited about this cruise, but it's another year away. that's ok, I have 3 booked in between!:15_yum:

Yes, I loved Adventure too.  And I also loved Brilliance.  But then I sailed Oasis.  And well, you know how the story goes from there.  You have to try it at least once...

Who am I kidding?  I love cruising period. ?

6 hours ago, HLWIser said:

The lighthouses! Oh I’m so excited to see those. It was a completely different itinerary than I’ve ever done and I thought okay why not?? Booked! 

Great lighthouse tour in Portland, and a lighthouse boat tour in Bar Harbor.  My favorite was/is Peggy's Cove.

On 2/19/2018 at 11:39 PM, Deedeelynn said:

We were actually looking at the same cruise. My husband was leary because it isn't the Caribbean. He loves breweries, so maybe I can talk him into it!! Hopefully we'll be on the same cruise!

Maybe this will help convince him! https://www.whereisyourtoothbrush.com/breweries-in-portland-maine/  In addition to Allagash and Shipyard, we also like rising tide in portland.  Halifax is a great port stop too! 

On 2/23/2018 at 6:57 PM, cyndicruiser said:

Maybe this will help convince him! https://www.whereisyourtoothbrush.com/breweries-in-portland-maine/  In addition to Allagash and Shipyard, we also like rising tide in portland.  Halifax is a great port stop too! 

Thank you so much! I have handed this off to my husband! He will be in heaven! It is up to him to map this out and figure out where he wants to visit!!