The Grande Dining Room - Allure of the Seas

rjac

My family and I have been assigned to table 640 in the Grande Dining Room on the Allure for our April 1st cruise. I been searching google for a table plan of the Grande with no luck. Does anyone know if there is such a thing on line or am I wasting my time. Thanks!:27_sunglasses:

Table numbers will change every cruise because they have to reconfigure the layout based on the size of the parties.  (More tables for two requested this week, multiple parties of 12 that week, etc.)  They probably have a generic numbering system that starts with table one in a certain corner and goes around the room.  So 640 is probably in the same general area each cruise but I've never seen a map.

Andrew

12 hours ago, rjac said:

My family and I have been assigned to table 640 in the Grande Dining Room on the Allure for our April 1st cruise. I been searching google for a table plan of the Grande with no luck. Does anyone know if there is such a thing on line or am I wasting my time. Thanks!:27_sunglasses:

I am on Allure about a month ahead of you; the March 4 sailing.

If you send me your Boca Clips I'll save you some seats by the pool!  ;0)

On 2/18/2018 at 7:52 AM, bobroo said:

I am on Allure about a month ahead of you; the March 4 sailing.

If you send me your Boca Clips I'll save you some seats by the pool!  ;0)

We sail Allure March 25.  Just missing both of you.   BTW  @bobroo I see you are located in Chicago.  We are practically neighbors here just east of South Bend IN.  

13 minutes ago, DERPDR said:

We sail Allure March 25.  Just missing both of you.   BTW  @bobroo I see you are located in Chicago.  We are practically neighbors here just east of South Bend IN.  

Cool beans!

I'll add you to the list of RCBloggers who would strongly support a RCL ship deployed in Lake Michigan during the summer.

26 minutes ago, bobroo said:

Cool beans!

I'll add you to the list of RCBloggers who would strongly support a RCL ship deployed in Lake Michigan during the summer.

Cincinnati checking in. Would be on board with Lake Michigan. 

1 hour ago, bobroo said:

Cool beans!

1 hour ago, KLAconQueso said:

Cincinnati checking in. Would be on board with Lake Michigan. 

How about we form a pioneer gang and kick off the new craze — American river cruising?  Just saying...

2 hours ago, bobroo said:

Cool beans!

Sadly no RCL ships can make it up the St. Lawrence Seaway into Lake Ontario never mind any further.  Too wide.  That's why you only see lakers running around the Great Lakes.

I don't see RCL building a small ship, much smaller than Empress, to tap into the Lake Michigan cruising market.

There is a top secret class of ship being developed by RCI. It's code name is Ginormous Duck.

This totally new class of ship will be distinguishable by 6 large round inflatable rings attached outside the hull that can double as life rafts if necessary.

It will have the fastest top speed of any ship in the world today and capable of going to locations previously unheard of for cruise ships.

The "Sailing the Great Lakes" comes from a couple different ideas. One, sailing the Great Lakes was a very popular thing to do 100 year ago. Two, these type of offerings would make cruising a possibility to many new customers located in the Midwest. But mostly three, with less and less available port space on the Caribbean, it would give RCL a new angle and new revenue stream. 

I'm certain RCL has chosen not to go there, there name after all is Royal Caribbean. But have you noticed how many companies now sail the Mississippi? The Columbia River? Chesapeake Bay? I predict those become big revenue generators for Carnival and others in years to come.

Having an old Monarch of the Seas or Empress located in Lake Michigan during the summer is only me being selfish. Lake Michigan is actually quite shallow once you get close to land, surprisingly shallow. I never even gave width a thought.

10 minutes ago, bobroo said:

The "Sailing the Great Lakes" comes from a couple different ideas. One, sailing the Great Lakes was a very popular thing to do 100 year ago. Two, these type of offerings would make cruising a possibility to many new customers located in the Midwest. But mostly three, with less and less available port space on the Caribbean, it would give RCL a new angle and new revenue stream. 

I'm certain RCL has chosen not to go there, there name after all is Royal Caribbean. But have you noticed how many companies now sail the Mississippi? The Columbia River? Chesapeake Bay? I predict those become big revenue generators for Carnival and others in years to come.

Having an old Monarch of the Seas or Empress located in Lake Michigan during the summer is only me being selfish. Lake Michigan is actually quite shallow once you get close to land, surprisingly shallow. I never even gave width a thought.

I've heard rumblings of Lake Michigan cruises for a while now.  It never seems to get enough momentum though.

Empress is 30m wide.  Monarch 36m. Song of Norway was 23.96m.  

Seaway maximum beam 23.8m.  So it would have to smaller than the 1st ship in the fleet.  

Celebrity Xpedition class is a candidate but those are very specialized ships built for a specific market.   

On a side note, the second worst U.S. ship disaster in terms of loss of life occurred on the Chicago River.  

17 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've heard rumblings of Lake Michigan cruises for a while now.  It never seems to get enough momentum though.

Empress is 30m wide.  Monarch 36m. Song of Norway was 23.96m.  

Seaway maximum beam 23.8m.  So it would have to smaller than the 1st ship in the fleet.  

Celebrity Xpedition class is a candidate but those are very specialized ships built for a specific market.   

On a side note, the second worst U.S. ship disaster in terms of loss of life occurred on the Chicago River.  

Oh yeah, the Eastland disaster! Very, very strange incident. 

Not to hijack  Rjac's thread, (and all ya' alls just got a few more days to get me those Boca Clips) but what if Gary, In had a compound like Falmouth? What if we dusted off the coal dust and iron ore off a pier in Sandusky? I think we all know the Apostle Islands are beautiful. Summerfest in Milwaukee happens right on the lakefront (and that had better be an overnight stop 'cause nobody leaves there sober). Boy, what if certain cruises coincided with MLB games in Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland? I think sailings like this would be extremely popular and provide economic stimulus to places that could really use it.  Maybe it's Azamara, maybe it's a new company? Maybe the staff on board is paid a living wage???? Whoa

• 2 months later...
On 2/17/2018 at 7:27 PM, Atlantix2000 said:

Table numbers will change every cruise because they have to reconfigure the layout based on the size of the parties.  (More tables for two requested this week, multiple parties of 12 that week, etc.)  They probably have a generic numbering system that starts with table one in a certain corner and goes around the room.  So 640 is probably in the same general area each cruise but I've never seen a map.

I received this note weeks prior to my cruise after my request for a window seat.  After getting one assignment I asked if it was near the service area because I wanted to avoid that location.  

"I have moved you to table 618 on the same deck, by the window (it is a table for 4). This table is farther from the service station that the previous one. Also, like the previous one, this table is in the private Dining Room. a quieter area inside the restaurant."  

There must be a fairly consistent layout for the room.   I couldnt get a map either.