Newbie’s Thoughts on Selecting a TA

Iluv4n6

Based on reading Matt’s informative blog (https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2016/06/15/why-first-time-cruisers-should-use-royal-caribbean-travel-agent) and various messages on these boards, I agree that TAs can often bring substantial value to cruise clients in savings of time and money, along with peace of mine.  The wisdom of the crowd—and, in particular, the wiser members of this crowd (you know who you are)—is convincing!   

But I may not effectively gauge the knowledge and experience of a TA with RC, because “I don’t know what I don’t know” when it comes to RC or cruising in general, even if the initial communications with a TA seem to go well.  So I would appreciate feedback on some basic questions that would be good to ask a TA to better understand their knowledge and experience with RC:

• How many times have you personally sailed on RC?  Which ships have you cruised on and which ports have you visited?
  • For cruises booked several months or more before sailing, how often do you typically reprice/rebook cruises to save clients money, or so they can take advantage of new offers?
  • Do you charge any cancellation or rebooking fees?
  • How do you stay informed of RC promotions and inform your clients about ones that may benefit them?  I would like the TA to proactively seek out cost savings and new offers instead of repricing only after being contacted by their clients to do so.
  • Are you a member of CLIA (https://cruising.org/) and at what level?  Have you had any RC-specific training?
  • How many years have you been a TA with your focus on RC cruising customers?
  • What do your customers value most about working with you?

In general, if my wife and I plan to cruise mostly in the Caribbean, selecting a TA in the SE US or FL might make the most sense, because these professionals would have more opportunities to gain firsthand experience with RC’s ships due to being able to drive rather than having to fly to the cruise ports. 

In any event, I will likely reach out to MEA for input because they support the blog and have received good comments from many on these boards.  

Thanks again -- your cruise wisdom is welcomed!  

From my experience,  mei had been way better than AAA for cruising.   My take with aaa never once checked fares or rebooked anything,  nor contacted me when gratuities were going up.   Sharla with mei however had already rebooked once and the next sale checked again and let me know it wouldn't save me money... and this was all on her own.   For what it's worth,  your questions seem great.   I think you will get a feel for whomever you pick pretty quick and don't hesitate to switch your t's if things don' seem good.   Jane

12 hours ago, Iluv4n6 said:

For cruises booked several months or more before sailing, how often do you typically reprice/rebook cruises to save clients money, or so they can take advantage of new offers?

This question is somewhat tricky today, because of the fare lock policy that Royal put into place last year or late the year before. Basically, it’s now very rare to find price drops of more than a few bucks after initial purchase, and the lowest rate is the one published the week / month the itineraries are published. I do think the question should still be asked; a TA knowledgeable about Royal should note that policy and ideally should be able to cite some examples of pre- and post-policy savings he/she has gotten for his/her clients.

Personal example in the contrast would be my booking on Freedom for this March, vs the one I have on Anthem in October:

The March itinerary (originally booked December 2016, announces around May that year) was published before the policy went into effect, and my TA emailed me to let me know she was able to shave off a couple thousand dollars when the February 2017 WOW sale came around. Before that, she had emailed one or two other times with much smaller savings ($50-ish, maybe with some OBC).

But this October sailing on Anthem (which I had originally booked the week the itinerary was announced last May), I only got one email from her when the price dropped on my original balcony room by just a few bucks, plus some OBC; after taking advantage of a WOW sale in July to upgrade to a JS, I haven’t had one email with a price reduction, even though there are still a fair number of JS rooms available. And every time I’d email her to ask “what about this sale?”, she’d reply showing how the latest pricing wasn’t advantageous (lower base but poor / no OBC vs current booking, or better OBC with higher base that didn’t work out to a net savings).

I will say that if having the lowest base fare is what’s most important to you, and you’d rather have a rock bottom base even if it means giving up OBC, you should let the TA know that. It will alter their strategy when doing re-pricing checks and could result in more frequent updates from them.

I check my cruises every week. I have 11 cruises booked between now and April 2020. I was able to get a lower rate on my Anthem 2018 cruise and higher OBC. It's a check and balance for me. And I am a planner. This week I save 87 dollars on my grocery bill. I am a coupon saver.

I contacted a MEI agent directly that was referred to me through another group I am in. I contracted her in February 2017 for my April 2018 cruise. She has forwarded me info when the Ultimate dining offering became available and she applied discounts four different times. The last one saved me $300. I never had to ask her to check. Do any agents charge? 

11 hours ago, JLMoran said:

Basically, it’s now very rare to find price drops of more than a few bucks after initial purchase, and the lowest rate is the one published the week / month the itineraries are published.

Thanks for this reality-check @JLMoran and your description of the essentially stable pricing for one of your recent itineraries after initial booking.  I would also look at the overall value (price - OBC) before considering re-booking.  

And @mom2mybugs, @Sweety, and @PrincipalTinker, thanks for your feedback including some additional positive experiences with MEI.  I would trust that my TA would stay more on top of price reductions and good new promotions than me! 

My Take-Away: Don't expect substantial savings from WOW or other promotions after initial booking, even though it is worth keeping tabs on prices and promotions because you can realize some real, but probably modest savings before final payment ($300 saved is always a good thing :27_sunglasses:).   

These are great questions to ask any TA, @Iluv4n6

Ultimately, I think the questions you need to ask are the questions you care about the most.  What are you most concerned with when using a TA? Are you looking for someone that knows more about RC than you? Or are you more concerned with someone that will price quotes quickly? Or someone that can make recommendations between sailings?

If you ask me, a great TA doesn't need to have the collective knowledge of this blog in their head.  Rather, they need to communicate effectively and timely and be a sounding board for assisting in picking the right vacation.  Think of them as your lawyer ...they do all the work, while you sit back and smile.

It all depends what you are going to a TA for. Are you wanting them to just get you the rock bottom price or do you want more of a personal experience? I do it most things myself so I would usually try to just get the best price I can (maybe even get some Ebate's rebates) and check daily for the price (its just habit for me.) I don't normally get my cruises further than 90 days (except my next years) I don't benefit from price drops anyways. I always get told to check my local TA and we only have like 2 and they were higher then I could get it on my own so was not worth it to me. For my next cruise going to hunt for someone in the states who will accept me (may need to give my US shipping address lol)

3 hours ago, Matt said:

If you ask me, a great TA doesn't need to have the collective knowledge of this blog in their head. 

This is so well said.  I think many people naturally assume that a great TA is suppose to be an all in one package.  All knowing, best pricing, always available.  But the key is what do you need from a TA?  As @LetsTryThisTech we all have different comfort levels when it comes to planning vacations.  Key is to know yourself first.  Then seek out a TA who matches what you need.  

9 hours ago, Matt said:

If you ask me, a great TA doesn't need to have the collective knowledge of this blog in their head.  Rather, they need to communicate effectively and timely and be a sounding board for assisting in picking the right vacation.  Think of them as your lawyer ...they do all the work, while you sit back and smile.

Absolutely!  TA's provide a professional service to clients -- and professionals, at least the good ones, really do look out for their clients' interest as best they can, and provide value in ways their clients may not anticipate at first...

But I can't say I've necessarily sat back and smiled every time my lawyer was hard at work!  :27_sunglasses:    

Thanks for all the input and suggestions!

So, last summer, when I booked my December 2018 Adventure cruise, I booked directly through Royal Caribbean as unfortunately I had not discovered RCB until after the fact LOL. For this December 2019 cruise on Harmony, I booked through a specific agency, local in my area, to use two $50 cruise vouchers donated to my mother's church auction that she coordinates every year. Although I did my research prior to booking, and provided the agent with the itinerary, sailing, stateroom, I found her to be very helpful in that she and her family had recently returned from a sailing on Harmony and was able to give me some helpful tips (most of which I already learned through @Matt :D). (She has also sailed on Adventure in the past.) Also, she told me in writing that, although the $100 voucher was technically applicable to double occupancy, the agency would honour the full $100 amount for my solo cruise and be applied on my final invoice.

My Harmony sailing is obviously a long ways away, but I'm hoping that she will monitor pricing and notify me ASAP of any onboard incentives as discussed. So far so good!

I wish you nothing but luck in your search for a TA, @Iluv4n6!