Pros and Cons of Booking Next Cruise Onboard

Iluv4n6

Hi All -- We are leaving on Oasis in a week -- yeah! -- and I am trying to recall various pointers from Matt on recent podcasts regarding the pros and cons of booking your next cruise onboard.  I understand the requirements and incentives for onboard booking changed last summer.  Please let me know if I am off base, or possibly on base for that matter :1_grinning:.

Booking Onboard

Pros: Expect to get more onboard credit.  Initial deposit will probably be lower.  You can re-book the same cruise at a lower price if the price drops (?).

Cons: Reservation is non-refundable.  You are locked into a specific cruise, even years out.

After some consideration, I am liking the idea of booking far in advance with a refundable reservation, even though it costs a bit more, to have the flexibility to cancel or change to a different cruise.

My wife and I definitely value your input!!

56 minutes ago, Iluv4n6 said:

Pros: Expect to get more onboard credit.  Initial deposit will probably be lower.  You can re-book the same cruise at a lower price if the price drops (?).

Cons: Reservation is non-refundable.  You are locked into a specific cruise, even years out.

You can book a refundable reservation at Next Cruise too but I don't see any advantage of booking with Next Cruise anymore.  It is pretty much the same as booking with a TA in terms of deposits and OBC. The reduced deposit was the biggest reason I used book with next cruise but now there is no reduced deposit and its not worth my time. You can always ask to reprice the cruise if the price drops. 

IMO, you can compare TAs and get more incentives online.

14 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

But is the Next Cruise OBC greater than the website OBC?  And then can you take the Next Cruise OBC and combine it with TA discounts after you transfer it?  Because that would make it more worthwhile even if the deposit isn't reduced.

That is the biggest question.  Next Cruise typically gives $100 OBC for a 7 night balcony.  Not sure if that is in addition to what is offered during promotions. Personally, I would know the cruise and the price I can get from the TA before I go to Next Cruise. 

Next Cruise likes to transfer bookings to your current TA.  If you plan to shop around make sure they do not transfer the reservation.

4 minutes ago, melski94 said:

That is the biggest question.  Next Cruise typically gives $100 OBC for a 7 night balcony.  Not sure if that is in addition to what is offered during promotions. Personally, I would know the cruise and the price I can get from the TA before I go to Next Cruise. 

Next Cruise likes to transfer bookings to your current TA.  If you plan to shop around make sure they do not transfer the reservation.

I think I'm going to go and find out in a few weeks unless maybe @Matt or someone else has definitive answer.  Because even without the reduced deposit, if I say get a $100 OBC from next cruise, and then get whatever promo they are also offering at the time (so for example, say another $200 OBC) and then I go home and shop my reservation, that could be quite a savings.  Or maybe I'm just dreaming up a nice scenario right now....

2 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

I think I'm going to go and find out in a few weeks unless maybe @Matt or someone else has definitive answer.  Because even without the reduced deposit, if I say get a $100 OBC from next cruise, and then get whatever promo they are also offering at the time (so for example, say another $200 OBC) and then I go home and shop my reservation, that could be quite a savings.  Or maybe I'm just dreaming up a nice scenario right now....

If this was possible it definitely would be a great option for all of us. I may try to ask if I get the time (sounds like I'm  already going to be busy on this one). Now I don't technically have an actually TA since I bought on a big chain site. So would they want to transfer to them?

Great advice!  Will check on a couple itineraries before our cruise to be able to compare prices and OBC with Next Cruise.  And will make sure we confirm the TA before transferring any bookings within the 60 window booking.  Will keep eyes on this thread for any others that may chime in.  Thanks again!!

3 minutes ago, Iluv4n6 said:

Great advice!  Will check on a couple itineraries before our cruise to be able to compare prices and OBC with Next Cruise.  And will make sure we confirm the TA before transferring any bookings within the 60 window booking.  Will keep eyes on this thread for any others that may chime in.  Thanks again!!

Ideally, check the itinerary the same day / day before you board, so you fall inside the same promotion window. If you have purchased Voom, maybe even check the itinerary on your phone the same day before going to Next Cruise.

The way the base prices seem to change with every promotion so that they can claim the various percentage discounts or whatever, you'll need to have the same promotion in effect to truly compare apples to apples at the Next Cruise desk.

1 hour ago, LetsTryThisTech said:

If this was possible it definitely would be a great option for all of us. I may try to ask if I get the time (sounds like I'm  already going to be busy on this one). Now I don't technically have an actually TA since I bought on a big chain site. So would they want to transfer to them?

Yes.  I learned this actually a few weeks ago.  I did things backwards.  I usually always find a sailing, price with RC, price with different TAs then go from there.  A few weeks ago, I had RC on the phone and did not want to chance it and lose the room. So I put down my deposit with RC and then shopped my booking instead.  I think I will go this route from now on.  Anyway, in shopping my booking, I can tell you that you can transfer within 60 days to any TA.

3 minutes ago, Sweety said:

I booked next cruise on my last cruise. I saved an extra 200 dollars plus additional OBC. I will be booking 2 additional cruises next month. I always book balcony or junior suites. I am locked in my cruise schedule.

But the question remains, what happens to the OBC if you decide to transfer it to a TA who also offers booking incentives?  Because if you can add it all together, that's what makes it more interesting.  Otherwise, I agree with others, and there's not much point to Next Cruise.  I have my eye on a 2020 sailing, I could get at least $300 OBC from Next Cruise along with whatever promo is going on at the time.  Going to have to research this more.  @Iluv4n6, thanks for bringing this up....

19 minutes ago, Sabrinaklai said:

But the question remains, what happens to the OBC if you decide to transfer it to a TA who also offers booking incentives?  Because if you can add it all together, that's what makes it more interesting.  Otherwise, I agree with others, and there's not much point to Next Cruise.  I have my eye on a 2020 sailing, I could get at least $300 OBC from Next Cruise along with whatever promo is going on at the time.  Going to have to research this more.  @Iluv4n6, thanks for bringing this up....

I still got my OBC. Plus additional from my TA.

2 minutes ago, DocLC said:

I received a significant amount of onboard credit for a Baltics cruise, mainly because it was a long cruise. However, that's the one and only time I booked onboard. I don't usually find the benefits to be significant enough for the hassle.

How was the iternary?

Just now, Sweety said:

How was the iternary?

One of the best ever. We started in Stockholm, spent the night there, and then did the rest of the Baltics including three days in St. Petersburg and finishing with an overnight in Copenhagen.

More details can be found here: https://mycruisecourse.wordpress.com/2017/06/21/now-is-the-time-to-plan-your-baltic-cruise-for-next-year/

I also spoke with Matt on the podcast here about it: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/podcast/episode-162-serenade-of-the-seas-listener-cruise-review

@SweetyThat would be worth my time as I book 2 staterooms either balcony or JS too..

@Sabrinaklai Please let us know how it works out for you.  I won't be booking on our March cruise as I won't have school dates for 2020 yet but may look into it on our November cruise.

If anyone is interested, here what I found for a Feb Next Cruise sale http://www.royalonboardsales.com/#seeoffer  I think the first part is the same as  the current sale...the second row of sale is where it could be interesting from the Next Cruise desk..

7 minutes ago, melski94 said:

@Sabrinaklai Please let us know how it works out for you.  I won't be booking on our March cruise as I won't have school dates for 2020 yet but may look into it on our November cruise.

I don't have dates for 2019 or 2020 yet but I'm booked into 2019 already and looking at 2020.  Here in Ontario, our dates are pretty predictable. If not, @twangster has volunteered to sub in as needed lol.

Thanks @Sabrinaklai, @JLMoran, @melski94, @Sweety, @DocLC!  We now have a much better basis for deciding whether to book with Next Cruise.  As suggested, we'll check online prices the day before, if not the day of on VROOM before stopping by Next Cruise.  I am also encouraged to learn that you can book refundable cruises onboard and keep your OBC after transferring your booking to a TA, and perhaps even add additional TA perks/OBC to the original booking.

But first things first -- gotta focus on vacation/ship fun and not fret the details of future bookings while onboard!  Good to know that although you might find an attractive deal at Next Cruise, it sounds like onboard booking typically offers similar net benefits compared to onshore booking.  So if we are having plenty of fun doing other things -- very likely! -- sorting through cruises and pricing at next Cruise may not be worth the time.

3 minutes ago, DocLC said:

@Iluv4n6 Make sure that you go early into your cruise. You can usually sign up for appointments even if the desk is closed. As the cruise progresses, it gets very busy.

Very true. I usually book the first day since I have research and know the cruises I want to book.

We have been cruising w RCCL since 2013 and always book onboard.  I have always found that we get more OBC and deposit is less.  We booked on our cruise earlier this month and got $500 OBC for booking a JS.  I always research before we go and keep watch after we book and other than an occasional price drop, which they will honor, I have not found any reason not to book onboard, especially if you book those first 3 days and get extra discount.