Ft Lauderdale - things to do near airport?

HWC

My wife and I have a September RC cruise booked out of Ft Lauderdale.  It returns to port on a Sunday (9/30) and the best flight for us getting back home doesn't board until 3:25PM.  I've been looking for some cool things to do near the airport since we'll have a bunch of time to kill.  One question, what is approximate latest we have to be off the ship, I think it docks at 6-6:30AM?  Second question, somewhere to go on a Sunday morning?  I found a link for the "Museum of Amazing Things" which looks awesome but they only list their hours as M-F.  Any advice appreciated, thanks.

One challenge to keep in mind is luggage.  If you're using luggage valet, then this becomes a non-issue, as ideally you don't want to tour Ft Lauderdale carrying all your bags.

Staying close to the port, you could look at the Ft Lauderdale Beach area.  Starting at The Elbow Room and going north leaves you countless bars, restaurants, people watching, etc.  If you want a quieter beach/boardwalk experience go south to Hollywood Beach.  If you're "beached out", then you can head to Las Olas, a shopping and dining area near downtown Ft Lauderdale, where you can also find a near children's museum, and some small historic sites.  Other completely random suggestions: New York Grilled Cheese - awesome grilled cheeses (many options) and decent beer selection.  Funky Buddha Brewery - fantastic beers and a good restaurant, all while being reasonably priced and spacious.  Across the street from FB (literally like 20 feet away) is 10th Level, a video game bar.  Looking for uppers rather than downers?  Alchemist Coffee has great coffee in a unique environment with indoor and outdoor seating.

Let us know what type of things you're looking for and I might have some better suggestions.

3 hours ago, monorailmedic said:

Other completely random suggestions: New York Grilled Cheese - awesome grilled cheeses (many options) and decent beer selection.  Funky Buddha Brewery - fantastic beers and a good restaurant, all while being reasonably priced and spacious. 

So what you’re saying, @monorailmedic, is that in Ft. Lauderdale it’s impossible to find fantastic beer and awesome food in the same place? If someone did, would it be like crossing the streams? ?

2 hours ago, JLMoran said:

So what you’re saying, @monorailmedic, is that in Ft. Lauderdale it’s impossible to find fantastic beer and awesome food in the same place? If someone did, would it be like crossing the streams? ?

This is true, but we have an endless Summer & amazing beaches! My recommendation (without more info on “likes and dis-likes”) echos the Monorail medics. If your not completely beached out from your cruise, defiantly head over to Fort Lauderdale beach (A1A & Las Olas) and take a nice walk and grab lunch at one of the many dining venues. If your not feeling the beach, grab lunch on the Las Olas corridor (short trolley ride or Uber). The time will fly by & before you know it you will be heading to the airport.

PS: Sat & Sun EVERYONE along the 17th Street & the Las Olas corridor has luggage in tow so don’t think you will look silly or won’t blend in. 

This all makes me so excited to be there the end of March.  We have booked the Hilton marina for the day before the cruise and plan on catching the water taxi and doing touristy stuff.   On the day back we will stay at W.  I'm a tad worried that one will be too different for me (and that after the drink pkg I will be seriously jaded about prices)  but the beach should be wonderful! 

I'm trying to find 2 things... the water taxi route/ if I should buy ahead and a good printable map of the tourist areas.   Jane

2 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I'm trying to find 2 things... the water taxi route/ if I should buy ahead and a good printable map of the tourist areas.   Jane

Not sure about the tourist area map - will look when back.  For the water taxi map you can find one at he below address (and their mobile app is very helpful, too).  I'll warn you that with regard to their prices, they call it Water Taxi, but it's more of a tour and priced like it - this isn't the Venetian vaporetto.

http://watertaxi.com/schedule/

5 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

This all makes me so excited to be there the end of March.  We have booked the Hilton marina for the day before the cruise and plan on catching the water taxi and doing touristy stuff.   On the day back we will stay at W.  I'm a tad worried that one will be too different for me (and that after the drink pkg I will be seriously jaded about prices)  but the beach should be wonderful! 

Hilton Marina you should find to be very convienent in every aspect. There is a water Taxi stop right in front of the hotel under the bridge. The W will be more “tourist” but it’s an upscale resort with upscale prices. Steak 954 in the hotel is quite the place for a great steak dinner (if you didn’t get enough of Chops on the ship). The W is great for people watching and a nice location to take a great walk up and down Fort Lauderdale beach. Enjoy!

12 hours ago, monorailmedic said:

Not sure about the tourist area map - will look when back.  For the water taxi map you can find one at he below address (and their mobile app is very helpful, too).  I'll warn you that with regard to their prices, they call it Water Taxi, but it's more of a tour and priced like it - this isn't the Venetian vaporetto.

http://watertaxi.com/schedule/

It is pricey...we will have to decide if we think we will ride all over or not.  I did load the app... thanks for the info billy!  Jane

9 hours ago, tonyfsu21 said:

Hilton Marina you should find to be very convienent in every aspect. There is a water Taxi stop right in front of the hotel under the bridge. The W will be more “tourist” but it’s an upscale resort with upscale prices. Steak 954 in the hotel is quite the place for a great steak dinner (if you didn’t get enough of Chops on the ship). The W is great for people watching and a nice location to take a great walk up and down Fort Lauderdale beach. Enjoy!

I'm guessing we will be outta money and skip the restaurant but I'm hoping  there are other places we can get to around there.   Can't wait to be on a beach (we got another nch of snow today! )  thanks for all your help tony!  Jane

• 2 weeks later...

Hubby and I had some time to fill after disembarking in FLL before our evening flight a week ago.  I had pre-arranged a trip to take an airboat ride through the Everglades.  Absolutely a highlight of our trip!  Lots of companies out there, so let me know if you want a recommendation.  LOVED our airboat driver - think they were rated #1 on TripAdvisor.  Easy to rent a car at Alamo right at the Port - was pretty cheap!  Think was about $40 per day, so we could travel around the area as we prefer.  Although, our flight wasn't until 7pm, so we had more time on our hands.

21 hours ago, amylovestocruise said:

Hubby and I had some time to fill after disembarking in FLL before our evening flight a week ago.  I had pre-arranged a trip to take an airboat ride through the Everglades.  Absolutely a highlight of our trip!  Lots of companies out there, so let me know if you want a recommendation.  LOVED our airboat driver - think they were rated #1 on TripAdvisor.  Easy to rent a car at Alamo right at the Port - was pretty cheap!  Think was about $40 per day, so we could travel around the area as we prefer.  Although, our flight wasn't until 7pm, so we had more time on our hands.

Can you PM me the company you used?  We'll be there in November and I'd love to do the airboat ride with the family.  Thank you.

6 minutes ago, bcarney said:

Can you PM me the company you used?  We'll be there in November and I'd love to do the airboat ride with the family.  Thank you.

Sure!  It's airboatridesfortlauderdale.com.  Owner/captain Wayne Gilbert.  They get great reviews on Trip Advisor, too!  Smaller group size on an actual airboat.