Things I used to know but have forgotten about cruise ship dining.

Digmenow

It's been a while since our last cruise and I can't quite recall what some things were like (or perhaps I do but maybe it's changed since then!).

Back story.  As the years have passed, I've become an early riser. Three or Four AM is not out of the question for me.  Whenever we travel, rather than wake MsDig (who can saw logs until a more respectable 6 or 7), I usually leave our room/cabin/tent/etc. and make my way to wherever an all night coffee pot is waiting and sit and sip until she wakes up.  I like to bring a cup back for her and if there are breakfasty type nosh foods/pastries available, I'll tote some of her favs along with the coffee to tide us over before our whole party of 5 is ready to shove off for the real breakfast.  I realize that Room Service is always an option but given the uncertainty of when she'll awaken combined with any potential wait time, I wanted an easy alternative.

As our sailing date approaches, it occurred to me that I could not recall if there were any trays on which to carry the above mentioned items in any useful quantity,  My recollection of the Windjammer was that there are plates only and getting food back to one's table looked a lot like this.  

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19319-1442398975-5.

I'd much prefer to go from food source to cabin with everything safely arranged on a tray.   Loosely held cups of coffee and napkin wrapped muffins never seem to survive the elevator portion of the journey.

giphy.gif

We have some of these fast food size (NOT cafeteria full size!) plastic trays that we use when we go camping.  They weigh less than half a pound and will slide into one of the outside zippered pockets of the luggage. 

npl_611_big.jpg

I was thinking that I might  bring one along for this early morning task.  If anyone can tell me that I shouldn't because RC has thoughtfully provided this item, then I'll leave it home.  Otherwise, what do you think?

tldr; Does RC provide food trays in the Windjammer?

Guest toodle68

Order room service on the first morning, then hide the tray and use it for the rest of the week.

I always bring a travel mug with a closed lid so I can slip it into my pocket instead of carrying it.

Always lots of food trays lining the corridors after people have had room service delivered and eaten. It's possible that on occasions one of these trays may have mysteriously appeared in our room and allegedly then used to bring food from the WJ to our room for consumption on our balcony. Just saying..............

3 minutes ago, toodle68 said:

Order room service on the first morning, then hide the tray and use it for the rest of the week.

You're a genius. 

I also bring a 20 oz yeti travel mug - I'll also bring my  own preferred teas from home at times so I can just swing by for hot water and it keeps for a while. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:12 AM, coneyraven said:

I don't recall seeing trays .... but I could be wrong .....

Your idea of bringing a tray is pure genius (I may have to try that one) ----- although you may be inundated with questions from your fellow passengers, "Where did you get that?"

If I had a sense of humor,  I would send them someplace else on the ship to look for them.  But you can't escape on a ship too easily.  

22 hours ago, Toyman55 said:

If I had a sense of humor,  I would send them someplace else on the ship to look for them.  But you can't escape on a ship too easily.  

OMG Toyman its great to know I am not the only one on this forum with a twisted sense of humor when I read this post I immediately thought of telling them there was a supply of them on the helicopter deck where they store them LOL 

1 hour ago, henrysea13 said:

OMG Toyman its great to know I am not the only one on this forum with a twisted sense of humor when I read this post I immediately thought of telling them there was a supply of them on the helicopter deck where they store them LOL 

If I sent them, I would tell them they had to go into the lockers on deck to get them.