How Long Was Your iFly Flight

F1guynz

When we were on Ovation the flight time was 1 minute per guest.

I was wondering if this was the standard flight time or whether it varied by ship with this feature.

It wasn't that heavily booked on Ovation so your could go multiple times on the cruise. On our cruise I went 3 times but I did get better.

This must be a good gig for the crew to get on the ship. I saw them practicing for an hour or so in the morning before the passengers could have a go.

It's operated by a 3rd party, "iFly".  The proper name is "Ripcord by iFly".  Here in the U.S. iFly operates indoor skydiving facilities in many major cities including my hometown.  I could drive over tonight and go for a session.  Perhaps they have locations in other countries elsewhere as well.  If not, I'm sure a similar company does.

They do offer more of a 'local' experience onboard where you spend a lot longer in the flight chamber as a paid option although on Anthem they didn't really push this at all other than a mention during the intro video. I was surprised and expected more of a sales pitch.

The staff who operate iFly I believe are iFly contractors/employees as opposed to the standard RCI contract employees.  Much like how Steiner Leisure contracts spa workers who are not RCI crew or employees.  I bet it's a good gig for them.  Work on land or go work on a cruise for a while?  At that age I would have been all over that!

1 hour ago, twangster said:

They do offer more of a 'local' experience onboard where you spend a lot longer in the flight chamber as a paid option although on Anthem they didn't really push this at all other than a mention during the intro video. I was surprised and expected more of a sales pitch.

Is that sort of like booking flowrider time for a fee? I have never come across that on the CP.

1 hour ago, Sabrinaklai said:

Is that sort of like booking flowrider time for a fee? I have never come across that on the CP.

When you visit Ripcord they verify if waivers have been signed then after a short wait you enter a room to watch a video.  It goes through various signs the instructor may give you since the air chamber is very windy so hand signs are the best means of communication.  They mention that advanced sessions can be purchased to train to fly like the instructors can.  

When I first went I thought "oh great, expect a hard sales pitch" but it never happened.  During flight ops each student is motioned into the chamber one by one.  There is a separate operator who adjusts wind speed to suit newbie weight conditions.  Little kids need much less wind compared to folks like myself with healthy Molson muscles.  After all guests have flown, the operator cranks the wind speed way up and the seasoned instructor shows off his or her moves.  The much higher wind velocity allows amazing turns, dives, climbs, etc for someone who knows what they are doing.  

The advanced lessons for sales are in pursuit of that goal.  To be able (eventually) to fly like they can.  I imagine that could take some time and many lessons but if you are interested in that level of advanced flying, talk to them.