Baby on Board!

Digmenow

We're just over two weeks away from our 7 night Southern Caribbean jaunt on Jewel leaving out of San Juan in early March.  MsDig and I will be traveling with our daughter, son in law and 22 month old grandson (currently competently walking and venturing into running).  We are in a Superior Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony  on deck 9 while they are just the other side of the elevators in a Standard Balcony with an additional Pullman and a pack n play (pnp) has been requested.

Little Man currently sleeps in a regular crib and is fairly 'migratory' when he sleeps.  The concern that has been voiced is that the pnp might be too confining for him.  I called ahead and was told the mattress size in the pnp is just under 36" in length (about 24" wide) while he is a nominal 30" tall.  Granted, no one sleeps fully stretched out but given his penchant for wandering in his crib while sleeping, we are concerned that he will be uncomfortably confined, at the minimum and worst case, will have a severe headache!

UnhealthyFamiliarBurro-max-1mb.gif

He's tall enough now to climb out of his crib but it hasn't occurred to him yet to try it.  I can't come up with a safe way to put a near 2 year old into the upper Pullman berth as he would surely tumble out at some point.  I'm wondering if anyone has some insight and/or previous experiences that they or other parents may have had when kids are at the age when a pnp is a bit too confining. 

Thanks!

While I have never cruised with a child that age, I've traveled the world with my 4 kids and have been through a lot of challenges.

IMHO, if he is used to a crib then keep him in the pack and play. He really isn't going to hurt himself and if it does then he'll stop. Now is not the time to change to a different sleeping arrangement. I think I had a child in a pack n play until almost 3...they had to sleep diagonal.  Its ok...it works...no permanent damage to the child. Typically, the kids are so exhausted from a day of sun and beach that they'll sleep anywhere. 

I would never do a pullman at that age. If the parents are so concerned about it then maybe they could change to a room with a pullout couch and pack a bed rail (I would pack one for my 4 yo). However, if they do that then the parents better be ready for a bed at home as there is no going back to a crib.

Good luck! 

23 hours ago, melski94 said:

While I have never cruised with a child that age, I've traveled the world with my 4 kids and have been through a lot of challenges.

IMHO, if he is used to a crib then keep him in the pack and play. He really isn't going to hurt himself and if it does then he'll stop. Now is not the time to change to a different sleeping arrangement. I think I had a child in a pack n play until almost 3...they had to sleep diagonal.  Its ok...it works...no permanent damage to the child. Typically, the kids are so exhausted from a day of sun and beach that they'll sleep anywhere. 

I would never do a pullman at that age. If the parents are so concerned about it then maybe they could change to a room with a pullout couch and pack a bed rail (I would pack one for my 4 yo). However, if they do that then the parents better be ready for a bed at home as there is no going back to a crib.

Good luck! 

This makes sense.  I've passed this advice along to them.

19 hours ago, Sabrinaklai said:

@Digmenow have you tried to call RC (or their special request dept.) to ask if bed rails can be supplied for the pull out couch?  My sister just took a cruise with her 26 month old and that's what they did. 

Making it...almost JUST LIKE A CRIB!  Oh, I'm on it!

capital-idea.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Just to close this out, the pack and play, though smaller than he's used to, was large enough for him to move around. We pulled the sofa forward and put the crib between it and the wall. The cabin steward congratulated our layout, saying that despite his recommendation to do it like that, most folks ignore him and put the crib in front of the sofa, rendering it unusable for seating. The room darkening curtains attached to the ceiling with small, strong magnets from Amazon and clipped to the wall with (barely sufficient strength) dollar store magnetic clips, create a tiny bedroom for the little guy. We had to pull down an opening at the ceiling and aim the back panel inward whenever he was in the crib so that all of the AC didn't blow directly down into the crib. Otherwise, sweet!

IMG_20180309_141735845.jpg

IMG_20180309_141832347.jpg

IMG_20180309_141754729.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...